PDA

View Full Version : Angled Tenons

mick59wests
9th December 2007, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

I am planning on four angled tenons for attaching legs to a narrow table top I have built - it will help stabilize the top by having the legs going out at around 5 degrees. I've been thinking about how to do this and keep the angles all the same size. The best I have come up with is:

I have made a solid triangle with an approximate 5 degrees slope, so my angles are 90, 86 and 4. If I use this 4 degrees slope on everything that requires an angle by putting my wood against it, my angles should all be even.

Does this make sense and does it seem the way to go? If anyone has experience in doing these (I have not found any reference or hints for this) I would appreciate some wisdom!

thanks

Mick

PS: This is the second table I am building so had to try something new! :):):)

PPS: I'll post a picture of the top so you will see why I need to do this

AlexS
9th December 2007, 06:32 PM
Mick, it won't be exactly 5 degrees, but it'll be so close you can't tell the difference.:2tsup:

mick59wests
11th December 2007, 08:13 AM
here is a picture of the tabletop, so you will see why I want the legs at a slight angle for support

Mick

hcbph
12th December 2007, 03:20 AM
Hi all,
I am planning on four angled tenons for attaching legs to a narrow table top I have built - it will help stabilize the top by having the legs going out at around 5 degrees. I've been thinking about how to do this and keep the angles all the same size. The best I have come up with is:

Mick

Mick

If I'm understanding your question, I think I have a simple solution. Assuming you want to have the tendon at 5 degrees, make a pair of 5 degree wedge. Temporarily attach them on opposite sides of the leg to cut the tenson on and put it into your tendoning jig. Now run it through your saw. Once both sides are cut, trim off the excess and you have your tendons.

Hope that makes sense.

Paul