PDA

View Full Version : I Pod Query.

RETIRED
10th December 2007, 05:29 PM
My son and Daughter in law want to buy an 80 GB Classic.

My wife is in America at the moment so can buy them relatively cheaper than here.

The questions 'cause I know nothing about this subject:

1: Are American I pods compatible with Australia?
2: Are there any differences in OS units to Aust?
3: Can an FM adapter be used on the Classic to play through a car sound system?

Like I said, I know nothing. I can play cds but that is about it.

MICKYG
10th December 2007, 05:51 PM
, I will confirm later tonight, but believe they are the same item worldwide.
Will catch up with son who has one and is a great user of same.

Regards Mike:2tsup:

MICKYG
10th December 2007, 06:47 PM
, Confirmed as being the same globally for Apple Ipod.

Regards Mike

Ashore
10th December 2007, 06:57 PM

Yep , you can also get an attachment to listen to FM radio, ain't technology grand :2tsup:

RETIRED
10th December 2007, 06:59 PM
Thank you.

Sebastiaan56
11th December 2007, 10:45 AM

Ive never got the FM unit for mine working that well, could be the Prius (electricity @ 300v) or the unit I bought. It had the Apple OK but Id get some reviews before you shell out. Ended up turfing it in disgust.

Sebastiaan

derekcohen
11th December 2007, 12:11 PM

I have the 80 Gb iPod plus a FM transmitter for the car.

The FM transmitter works BUT it drains the battery very rapidly as it is powered from the iPod. The iPod alone runs for about 22 hours. Add the FM transmitter and it drops to 2 hours! The only way to run this thing really is to also add in a connection to power the iPod from the cigarette lighter. Alternatively, if your car has a cassette player, to use a cassette connection instead.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ss_11000
11th December 2007, 01:37 PM
you can get a cord that just plugs into an auxilery port on the cd player from your mp3 player. assuming you have one of those ports that is.

RETIRED
11th December 2007, 08:03 PM
Thank you all. Stirlo you are too young to be swearing at me.:wink: Youmust be happy about the hockey.:D

ss_11000
12th December 2007, 12:15 AM
Thank you all. Stirlo you are too young to be swearing at me.:wink: Youmust be happy about the hockey.:D

i'm sorry mr , I shall not swears again:oo::p.

happy....dissapointed, same thing:shrug:

cheers

Sir Stinkalot
12th December 2007, 08:56 PM
Just a bit of a heads up on cheap Ipod accessories ....

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.299

The prices are in $US however there is free shipping. The site is based in Hong Kong however you pay via Pay Pal (ie no additional bank charges due to foreign currency).

To give you an idea of savings:
FM transmitter - Local AU$45 DX US$8.00
Remote + FM radio - Local AU$69 DX US$13.00

I have just purchased a heap and it is currently in transit (left HK on 10/12/07 according to tracking). I will let you know of the quality when it arrives. There seems to be only good things written about the site on the Whirlpool forums.

My guess is that some of the stuff may not be as good as the original. But that being said I am sure most of it is made at the same factory as the originals. The FM transmitter that I ordered looks 100% like the one featured in a big retailer catalogue last week.

There is a heap of other stuff on the site also. I purchased some rare earth magnets for next to nothing (40x 8mm US$3.26), a universal tv remote and some batteries.

"Makin Sawdust"
13th December 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi all, A quick note, I have purchased a couple of cheap FM transmitters fro Go-Lo also known as Crazy Clarkes in some states. They plug into cig lighter socket & 3.5 mm plug into I-Pod ear phone socket. They also have a USB charging outlet. Switchable frequency, all for the sum of $9.95 each. I have no connection with said stores and couldn't be happier with units. Cheers, Les.

Hammered
14th December 2007, 04:31 PM
1: Are American I pods compatible with Australia?
2: Are there any differences in OS units to Aust?

1. Deffinately. They are low voltage, powered via USB charging.
2. Absolutely none, other than some from different countries will state that they comply to different standards (the fact is, they comply to the standards of all countries they are sold in. One built for USA standards also features any AU specific standards, and vice versa. IE. they are the same unit)
3. Certainly can. FM adapters are available for all iPods, some better than others.

I personally would recommend Griffin accessories, as they are the first to be officially endorced by the OEM, and are of excellent quality. They are obviously more expensive than most however. Some of the ones from places like Hong Kong are still excellent quality for the price you pay. I recently bought a 'knock-off' iPod for $30. It stores 4gb, looks like an iPod, and does even more (it has built in FM tuner, player video, mp3, mp4, wma, wav, and also records via internal microphone). It also has great battery life, very comparable to my 1st Gen Nano. Bought it for my son for christmas.

The only difference with genuine Applie iPod stuff is the accessories. Obviously if you want to have a wall charger to charge the unit, it needs to be suitable for australia (ie. 230min - 250max volts). These are aftermarket products anyway.

Has anyone else noticed how iPods are NEVER on sale in only one store (ie. K-mart will never have them on special, unless they are on special at all other retailers also). Apple actually has a monopoly on the pricing. To maintain an authorised reseller status, all stores must price them as apple suggests, or they will loose their wholesale rights. I have a friend who works (very high up)in purchasing at JB HiFi here in Melbourne. He said if they where to advertise iPods at 10% off retail and Apple found out, they would not be able to buy wholesale any longer. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

Sir Stinkalot
14th December 2007, 08:57 PM
Ok .... I have just received my order of accessories from HK. As expected some will be very servicable .... others are a little on the crappy side.

The remote control with FM radio is a very cheap and poorly finished take off of the original. It will still do the job but it is like comparing an original barbie doll to a fake one.

The cases and socks cant be faulted and seem to be just as good as the original. The FM transmitters appear to be the same as the generic ones sold for much more.

In summary for the price I paid ..... for what I got I am very happy. A huge bundle of stuff for an Ipod Classic and Nano was less than the purchase of one original remote.

As for pricing it seems to be like Festool. I just picked up an 80gb classic from K-mart for $344. Generally it hovers around $349. Cheapest I know of is Getmac.com.au at $328.

Cant wait to get some tunes on my new baby :)

Pat
14th December 2007, 09:22 PM
Has anyone else noticed how iPods are NEVER on sale in only one store (ie. K-mart will never have them on special, unless they are on special at all other retailers also). Apple actually has a monopoly on the pricing. To maintain an authorised reseller status, all stores must price them as apple suggests, or they will loose their wholesale rights. I have a friend who works (very high up)in purchasing at JB HiFi here in Melbourne. He said if they where to advertise iPods at 10% off retail and Apple found out, they would not be able to buy wholesale any longer. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

As Stinky mentioned . . . Festool . . .

Sawdust Maker
28th January 2008, 08:22 PM
I have a friend who works (very high up)in purchasing at JB HiFi here in Melbourne. He said if they where to advertise iPods at 10% off retail and Apple found out, they would not be able to buy wholesale any longer. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

Hammered
Would your mate at JB talk to someone at the ACCC? I'm sure that they would love to hear his story. I know someone reasonably senior, if he's interested PM me.