PDA

View Full Version : bowl saver design

hughie
11th December 2007, 04:20 PM
I have been looking at bowl savers for awhile now and could not make up my mind as to which might be better or even if I needed one. :?

The long and short of it I have decided to make my own. I am wondering what the consensus is on the number of different bowl sizes etc are most popular/handy etc.

Cliff Rogers
11th December 2007, 04:46 PM
I have the Woodcut Bowlsaver, does 6" to 16" with 2 chisels.

I haven't tried any others.

OGYT
12th December 2007, 03:52 AM
I've got Mr McNaughton's rig. It works very well at about 700 rpm. With the style of the tool rest, you can change the design of your bowls somewhat.
I just can't sell the bowls, it seems, so I've quit using it... at least until some of these bowls are out of my way. :)

rsser
13th December 2007, 03:56 PM
When I did some web research a while ago it seemed that the MacNaughton was the most flexible rig. But it didn't fit the Vicmarc 175 I had (problem of not enough clearance btwn banjo top and centre height to accommodate the tool gate) and it needed more grunt than the 175 had.

After that I came to the conclusion that not being a production turner, and not wanting to be constrained in bowl shape as per the Woodcut, it was a waste of money to go to coring.

Doesn't answer your question Hughie I know, but mebbe useful nonetheless.

orraloon
13th December 2007, 06:41 PM
If a bowl saver could be got at a reasonable price then I guess we would all have one. It is on the things to get one day list at the moment but costing more than some lathes it is a long way down the road. It does seem a waste to make most of the wood into shavings and if I did production turning I would see the cost saving. I am watching this with interest Hughie.

Regards
John

hughie
13th December 2007, 11:47 PM
When I did some web research a while ago it seemed that the MacNaughton was the most flexible rig. But it didn't fit the Vicmarc 175 I had (problem of not enough clearance btwn banjo top and centre height to accommodate the tool gate) and it needed more grunt than the 175 had.

That would annoy me no end, grrrrrrh

Doesn't answer your question Hughie I know, but mebbe useful nonetheless

Not really, I sorted think along those lines as well. A bowl saver/corer would be something I would use on perhaps burls and or on exceptional timber. Something that is far from being essential kit. I just find the prices a bit over the top, along with a few of the tech. aspects

rsser
14th December 2007, 06:07 AM
Yes.

Apparently the VM hollowing tool support can be fitted with a coring blade for a freehand effort. Mind you, the support itself costs a bomb.

Calm
14th December 2007, 08:14 AM
Hughie

I dont see that it matters what shape that the core is when removed. If you didnt have a bowl saver it would be woodchips so if you make one bowl and then the core is shaped into a different design then you still have 2 bowls and a pile of shavings whereas without the bowl saver you have one bowl and a bigger pile of shavings. Even if the core was changed into a platter it is still a saving.

It is definitely a must get on my list. I can see more finished product from the one peice of wood.

Which is the best well i have done little research but am definitely interested in what you make. Another good chance to copy a forum members design.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
14th December 2007, 08:54 AM
... bowl saver/corer would be something I would use on perhaps burls and or on exceptional timber. ....
Got it in one.... the only thing I have used mine on so far is a huge block of Raintree that came without a single crack of defect.
I got $125 for a biggest bowl I made from it & I still have 3 more blanks in the shed. (Arts & Craft shop that sold it got $198 for it.) :2tsup:

bobsreturn2003
14th December 2007, 08:55 AM
i have both of them and they are really usefull . both need a learning curve ,practice on some cheap timber, as its easy to go too thin and hit the chuck if you are a little tired . details can be downloaded from there websites . you can make one if you have the equipment and tools ,and enjoy experimenting ,till it works ,hard to get the correct grades of steel up here ,so found it easier to purchase . i find if you can get a few extra blanks from some good wood , they pay for themselves , am looking at the oneway , would get one of these or make one as a first choice . savers can be fiddly to use , but saving good blanks is great . if you want to fit to a vicmarc try and make a new banjo ,or get one from another machine , local boilermaker should be able to help . cheers bob

Wood Hoarder
18th December 2007, 01:50 PM
Hi Hughie,
I was lucky enough to pick up a Kel McNaughton bowl saver with 4 chisels second hand. I have used it regularly, I find it takes a little patience (and guesswork :?) but it well worth the effort. I'll be posting some photos soon of a Queensland Maple bowl I've completed, with pic's of the bowl saving.