PDA

View Full Version : "Cherry" bed

Kev Y.
19th November 2003, 03:35 PM
Hi all, I have just finished one of my biggest building projects.

It is or should have been "a classic cherry bed" the plans were in the AUSTRALIAN WOODSMITH magazine a while ago.

I build this one from rescued "european Larch" which was in the form a a large packing crate when I first recieved it.

the project took me about three weeks (working tow or three days a week) to complete.

all that remains now is to get it stained and finished and it will look just great.

Kev

Sir Stinkalot
19th November 2003, 03:39 PM
Looks good Kev ... any chance of a close up photo showing some more detail?

Wongo
19th November 2003, 04:01 PM
Hi Kev,
It looks beautiful. I still have that issue of the AUSTRALIAN WOODSMITH magazine and I think yours looks even better.

Cheers

Scott

DanP
20th November 2003, 01:46 AM
Kev,

Built the same bed myself, about 7 years ago. Modified mine by putting a 5" wide slat in the centre of head and end with a flower cut out in it. Didn't know where to get the side rail fixtures at the time so the sides of mine are steel RHS with flats welded on the ends. Came up a treat and is solid as a rock. Your's looks great, be sure to post pics when finished.:)

Dan

Little Festo
20th November 2003, 09:45 AM
I finnished mine a few months ago. I used Merbu and it looks quite good. Solid as a rock. I used rough timber and dressd it all to size myself (drove the neighbours mad for about a week). I'll have to post a pic, it looks good with the dark timber. Mine took a bit longer to build than 3 weeks, well done Brudda, looks good.

Pter

Caliban
20th November 2003, 09:35 PM
Kev
Great Job.
That must have been one hell of a packing crate.
Which issue of the Australian Woodsmith?
Cheers
Jim

Sprog
20th November 2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by hovo
Kev
Great Job.

Which issue of the Australian Woodsmith?
Cheers
Jim

Kev Y.
22nd November 2003, 05:35 PM
The packing crate (for those who were interested) was 6 meters x 6 meters, and rested on 200mm x 200mm bearers. The planks were 250mm x 40mm.

It once contained part of a coal dredger. for those who have NOT had the pleasure of travelling through the LaTrobe Valley, these machines are MONTOROUS!

Kev

mikmaz1
30th November 2003, 12:44 AM
excellent job kev, now i think you need to build a bedroom to go around it.
seeyasson mik.