PDA

View Full Version : Connect 12v batteries inline how?

David L
12th December 2007, 06:20 PM
Can someone please tell me how to connect two 12V batteries in line to still give 12V.:rolleyes:
I power the lights in my camp-trailer with 12v and can't remember weather it should be + to + or +to - :doh:

Also is it better to connect the light lead to + on one and - on the other or just connect it to the one battery?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

Brickie
12th December 2007, 06:24 PM
The easiest way is to think how a torch takes batteries to increase voltage. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2007, 06:47 PM
+ to + and - to - keeps same voltage and doubles "life span."

Shouldn't make any difference where you plug the light leads. :)

Simomatra
12th December 2007, 07:17 PM
+ to + and - to - keeps same voltage and doubles "life span."

Shouldn't make any difference where you plug the light leads. :)

As Skew says to keep the same voltage put in parallels i.e. + + / -- and to increase the voltage put in series +-+- The more in series the more the voltage

David L
12th December 2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks Guys.

DavidG
12th December 2007, 10:09 PM
Sorry to say but if the batteries are different capacities or ages then one will drain the other, or take all the charge, leaving one flat.

In parallel battery situations it is better to split the charger regulator circuits and discharge separately.

RETIRED
12th December 2007, 10:46 PM
Sorry to say but if the batteries are different capacities or ages then one will drain the other, or take all the charge, leaving one flat.

In parallel battery situations it is better to split the charger regulator circuits and discharge separately.Agree with David totally. Even 6 months difference between purchases can have detrimental effects on the life of batteries.

drivesafe
18th December 2007, 08:09 AM
Can someone please tell me how to connect two 12V batteries in line to still give 12V.:rolleyes:
I power the lights in my camp-trailer with 12v and can't remember weather it should be + to + or +to - :doh:

Also is it better to connect the light lead to + on one and - on the other or just connect it to the one battery?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

Hi David, for what you want to do, simply connect “+” to “+” and “-” to “-” and with this set up you can then connect your light’s “+” to either battery’s “+” and your light’s “-” to either battery’s “-”.

Also, if you have both batteries in the camper trailer connected in parallel all the time, you won’t have any real dramas, even if the batteries are different sizes, ages or even different types.

Just make sure you keep them fully charged when not in use and they should last you many years.

Cheers.