PDA

View Full Version : Dark side Turners ????

HappyHammer
13th December 2007, 03:54 PM
I've been looking at a few turning sites and there seem to be quite a few experienced turners producing amazing stuff but they often use routers and mechanical jigs to achieve these results.

The dark side of woodwork has been discussed many times on this forum but I haven't seen or maybe I've missed this discussion for turners.

I suspect many here are dark side turners due to them being new to turning, as I am, and having not progressed to the more technical techniques used in power turning. Or simply don't have the tecnical ability to build the jigs or the money.

What do you think of the use of power tools and mechanical jigs when turning and are you a dark sider or a power fan? If you're a dark sider does the power and mechanical jig side of turning interest you?

HH.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th December 2007, 04:28 PM
What do you think of the use of power tools and mechanical jigs when turning and are you a dark sider or a power fan? If you're a dark sider does the power and mechanical jig side of turning interest you?

I turn because I enjoy the process of turning. Sitting back and watching a machine do the work has no appeal for me whatsoever.

I realise that what you call "power turning" is more hands on than that, but it's still not my idea of heaven. :shrug: More often than not it's not turning as such, but more like carving; adding flutes or spirals.

Don't get me wrong... if I conceive of a piece that needs a jig, I'm not averse to making it. For a one off use. I'm also in the throes of making a Rose Engine but, to give you an idea of my priorities, it's been a WIP for the last two or three years and will probably take another ten to finish.

wheelinround
13th December 2007, 04:42 PM
Like you HH I am new to turning, I prefer the dark side of things but am amazed at what can be done with power as well as by imagination.

"A moments :rolleyes: is a life time dream".

Some of these set ups are simple others are or look complex. Two WWS I have stopped and chatted with the fellows who do this sort of Rose etc additions and indexed lathe turning. It fascinates me but that is my back ground for anything mechanical :2tsup: made from anything.

Seeing other methods of producing a finished article opens the mind.

My major trouble is space size of shed 5 or 6 benches would be enough :doh:

rsser
13th December 2007, 05:02 PM
When you said 'darkside turning' the image that sprang to mind was Robin's pole lathe. Admirable but no thanks.

Next image was off-lathe carving, decorating etc. I'm faintly tempted by this, if only to do honour to a bit of Vern's gidgee that was naturally fluted.

echnidna
13th December 2007, 05:19 PM
:iagree:

artme
13th December 2007, 05:24 PM
WHAT'S wrong with other power tools like routers. We have the technology let's use it.
Can you imagine the Syd. Harb. Bridge being done with nuts, bolts, steel plates and timber?:no::no:

rsser
13th December 2007, 07:50 PM
Hmm, as far as I know the Coat Hanger was done with rivets, plates and RSJ's.

Rose engines redundant.

joe greiner
13th December 2007, 10:19 PM
I think we have a nomenclature disconnect here. I'd consider "dark side turning" to involve a spring-pole or treadle lathe, or one of those guys in India sitting on the ground using a bow-and-string for power and holding the tool with his toes. Roy Underhill's "Woodwright Shop" series comes to mind. Everything else is, well, everything else. From that definition, chucks and steady rests would be in "everything else."

Like Skew, I wouldn't be averse to making/using auxiliary means to achieve a design objective. He and I are in a race to see which one completes his Rose Engine last; I reckon we're both tortoises, not hares.

Joe

HappyHammer
13th December 2007, 10:28 PM
I guess what I meant by Dark Side Turning was turning that involves holding a cutting implement that you apply to a piece of timber to shape it as opposed to mechanical jigs that do it for you.

I'm not opposed to the jigs I think they produce some fantastic objects. I also have a jointer rather than a hand plane I was just asking the question out of interest.:U

HH.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th December 2007, 10:49 PM
I'd consider "dark side turning" to involve a spring-pole or treadle lathe, or one of those guys in India sitting on the ground using a bow-and-string for power and holding the tool with his toes.

I guess what I meant by Dark Side Turning was turning that involves holding a cutting implement that you apply to a piece of timber to shape it as opposed to mechanical jigs that do it for you.

Looks like I qualify as a Darksider from both points of view.

Go Treadlies! :U

hughie
13th December 2007, 11:27 PM
Well for me, its rather a case of what I prefer to do. As opposed to what I used to do.

I started out with carving long before I got into any sort of wood turning. To date have very few ideas of marrying the two.

As to pole lathes and the like, nah! gimme the electric motor every time and a variable speed at that. :U

There is some incredible technology out there these days in both machinery and software. I often admire the work of those who do, its just somewhere I don't go much these days.

Often in my line of work, technology is what its all about. PLC's, repeatable accuracy, magic software, this machine talking to that machine, along with more and more sophistication every day.

As Thoreau said, simplify, simplify life is frittered away by detail.

so for me there some thing to be said for trying to produce by hand and eye, that simple, yet complicated form, that resonates with both hand and eye at the same time.