PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Melamine

tergar37
14th December 2007, 10:25 AM
Is it possible to cut Melamine with a 60 tooth portable power saw successfully without chipping or breaking out the Melamine.

Gary

artme
14th December 2007, 02:20 PM
No!

Fuzzie
14th December 2007, 02:40 PM
I found a triple chip negative rake aluminium cutting blade works acceptably for me.

Rodt68
14th December 2007, 03:36 PM
I have done it using masking tape on the bottom side of the cut with not bad results. Certainly better than with nothing.

Rod

rrich
14th December 2007, 04:13 PM
Gary,
I assume that your portable power saw is a hand held affair, something that we would call a circular saw. By melamine I'm assuming that the melamine is a veneer over a substrate like plywood or particle board,

The thing to consider rather than the number of teeth in the blade is geometry of the teeth. If the teeth are ATB (Alternate Top Bevel) and with a high bevel angle (30°) AND a new sharp blade, you could get an acceptable cut.

A better choice would be a tripple chip grind on the blade which is intended to cut man made products.

However if the melamine is a veneer on a substrate there may be another solution with your blade. Cut the melamine twice. Make your first cut about 2mm deep through the melamine. That will give you a nice sharp cut and no chips. Then make the second cut through the substrate. If the melamine is on both sides of the substrate, do two 2mm cuts and then the through cut.