PDA

View Full Version : 1st clock

Brown Dog
15th December 2007, 11:20 AM
My very first timber clock....

Made this clock for The MIL's christmass pressie, She loves retro stuff....entering her house is like stepping back into the early 70's :)

Simple retro kinda shape with inlayed dots for the numbers. Made from Black Hearted sassy, finished with FW floor seal, EEE and Traditional wax.

The movement is one of those continuous sweep movements fron J.Knowles. So there is no annoying ticking sound....just the second moving quietly around the dial....looks sort of funky too :cool:

I reckon I should earn some browny points with this one. :D

cheers
BD:wmann3:

Big Shed
15th December 2007, 12:08 PM
BD, I reckon you should too!:2tsup:

Love the way you have used the grain to accentuate the shape, and the inlay dots are the icing on the cake, very nice clock indeed.

DJ’s Timber
15th December 2007, 12:37 PM
Very nice BD, only one thing that I can pick really is the diameter you have placed the dots at, I would go a little bigger so that the big hand's point is on the dots(what are they by the way), not the small hand, otherwise is all good :2tsup:

martrix
15th December 2007, 12:43 PM
nice one. So does it hang on the wall? How about a pic of the back (the ugly bits:D)

Cliff Rogers
15th December 2007, 01:04 PM
Good one BD :2tsup:

Brown Dog
15th December 2007, 01:06 PM
thanks guys:D

the way you have used the grain to accentuate the shape...

thats exactly what i was going for....thanks Big Shed

I would go a little bigger so that the big hand's point is on the dots(what are they by the way), not the small hand

DJ....I agree.....I did play around with the dia. of the dial a bit....I settled on this size because to my eye it looked better in comparison to the outside curve. When I made it bigger (in CAD) the outside curve (which was dictated by the width of the slab and the shape I liked, to take advantage of the grain ) and the dial curve looked too concentric...something I was trying to avoid.

BTW the dots are just cut from the light coloured part of the sassy with a plug cutter

So does it hang on the wall? How about a pic of the back (the ugly bits)

Yep its a wall clock...couldnt use the hanger that the movement comes with...cause its off centre too much...so I attached some picture wire between two screw on type picture hook/ring things

I would ablige with a photo of the back matrix but SWMBO has just finished wrapping it and I dare not undo all her good work :D:rolleyes:.

Honestly it is a little ugly on the back due to some runs in the finish that I couldnt sand out. :-

cheers
BD:2tsup:

Simomatra
15th December 2007, 01:33 PM
Very nice BD Like the shape and the colours of the timber

Well done

Yonnee
16th December 2007, 12:05 PM
Does your MIL play an instrument? It looks like a guitar plectrum.

It would have been fun trying to get the placement of the keyhole/hook right so it hangs level.

Nice job for your first.

Yonnee.

Brown Dog
16th December 2007, 05:26 PM
thanks Simo and Yonnee

Does your MIL play an instrument? It looks like a guitar plectrum.

Not that im aware of ...the plectrum thing never crossed my mind but your right it does kinda look like one......I actually thought it looked like and egg lying down :D

It would have been fun trying to get the placement of the keyhole/hook right so it hangs level.

thats why I used the picture wire :wink:

cheers
BD:2tsup:

Yonnee
17th December 2007, 01:09 PM
thats why I used the picture wire :wink:

Sorry, just re-read the other post:doh:

ravlord13
17th December 2007, 04:04 PM
Nothing to say Just:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

joe greiner
18th December 2007, 12:07 AM
Very nice BD, only one thing that I can pick really is the diameter you have placed the dots at, I would go a little bigger so that the big hand's point is on the dots(what are they by the way), not the small hand, otherwise is all good :2tsup:

Hmmmm. I suppose you're right. But looks fine as is, too. The small hand registers the hours, as represented by the dots. Nice work, BD.

Joe

Buzz
18th December 2007, 09:56 PM
I'm really taken with this clock. Very nice work, well done.

cossi
24th December 2007, 03:43 PM
fantasitc mate,:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: it would be a great clock for a guitar fan (even if it was unintetional! :U)