PDA

View Full Version : Router Template Guides Question

skot
15th December 2007, 12:10 PM
I have mounted my Triton Router (2400w) into my shop made router table with a unilift plate and can not use my template guides with this set up. If I purchase the Little Fella (1400w)....Will my existing template guides fit on the "puppy" router and do the 2 routers have the same sized base plate.

Thanks in advance

Big Shed
15th December 2007, 12:15 PM
I have mounted my Triton Router (2400w) into my shop made router table with a unilift plate and can not use my template guides with this set up. If I purchase the Little Fella (1400w)....Will my existing template guides fit on the "puppy" router and do the 2 routers have the same sized base plate.

Thanks in advance

The template guides are the same for both routers, and I'm pretty sure the base plate is the same size as well, the hole patterns are certainly the same, I had the 1400W on my Woodpeckers plate.

Just for curiosity, what do you use the template guides for in the router table? I have a set and have never found a need for them, I always use a bearing bit with templates.

Am I missing something?

skot
15th December 2007, 12:34 PM
Big Shed,
I too have not used them much but bought them after seeing the Gifkin demo at WWWS and they were used with a template for creating the base of small boxes.

I am like you in that I use bearing router bits most of the time but you know how it is with us woodies....you see someone using a tool and making something nice and you say to yourself ..."Cool....I'll use that....where do I pay my money!"

I have the Triton in the table and a Makita 3612 for hand held and thought
"I could use another hand held Router...may as well get one that takes the Template Guides, just in case I get round to using them."

Big Shed
15th December 2007, 12:41 PM
Similar story here, I was in Hills CC and they were selling the template guides off at a low price. I had seen them used in books and magazines, so thought they would be handy.

Still waiting for an application!:rolleyes:

Stuart
15th December 2007, 01:27 PM
The baseplate is not the same for the two routers.

If you buy the template guides for the 1400W router, you also get a baseplate for the 2400W router (kind of a 2 for the price of one kit), but it isn't true the other way around. (And the 1400W kit is cheaper - weird!)

The guides themselves are identical for both routers.

As far as application - not all router bits have bearings, sometimes I have used the non-bearinged classic bit (for example) to route a channel around the inside of a shield design. The entire job is done blind. Haven't used them more than a couple of times in the last 3 or 4 years though!

skot
15th December 2007, 01:39 PM
So I would have to buy the Template guides for the 1400w so as to get the right base Plate and then end up with 2 identical sets of guides?...Is this right

Stuart
15th December 2007, 10:21 PM
yeah, I think so - from memory the holes in the large plate don't line up with the small router baseplate.

You might be able to centre the large baseplate, then mark where the holes are required, and drill them yourself. The base plate will overlap the edge (significantly (but completely unimportant if the router is just to sit in the table)), but at least you haven't bought a second set, the large baseplate will carry the template guides, and you won't have wrecked it if you ever want to fit it back on the large router.

Robo1
16th December 2007, 01:37 PM
So I want to get the kit with the guides and the base plate for the 2400 is there a part number for this kit or a specific name for it. I looked at Bunnings but could only find the small kit with just the guides. I will have to get them to order it in so I want to know what to ask for!
Thanks Rob

rayintheuk
16th December 2007, 10:51 PM
yeah, I think so - from memory the holes in the large plate don't line up with the small router baseplate.
Although the overall diameters of the two baseplates differ, the baseplate mounting holes ARE identical:

http://www.raygirling.com/images/mof00103.jpg

The fact that the bases are different is obvious from this picture, but note also the difference in the routers of the distance from the circumference of the baseplate mounting screws. Because the base is smaller on the MOF001, the distance is less, but both sets of screws are an identical dimension from the centre.

The larger router (TRB001) uses a full-size metal baseplate to mount the template guides, whereas the smaller router uses a smaller metal plate, located by lugs in the centre of the router baseplate, rather than screwholes in the base, to locate the guides. This is why the baseplate on the smaller router is thicker than that on the larger. As said above, the guides are identical.

Ray.

rayintheuk
16th December 2007, 10:54 PM
So I want to get the kit with the guides and the base plate for the 2400 is there a part number for this kit or a specific name for it. I looked at Bunnings but could only find the small kit with just the guides. I will have to get them to order it in so I want to know what to ask for!
Thanks Rob
The part number is TGA001 - see here (http://www.raygirling.com/tga001.pdf)

Ray.

Stuart
17th December 2007, 06:14 AM
Cool - thanks for that Ray, guess I should have known that the holes are in fact in the same place - do now :D :thumbup:
(Guess my memory isn't so good!)

Big Shed
17th December 2007, 08:32 AM
Cool - thanks for that Ray, guess I should have known that the holes are in fact in the same place - do now :D :thumbup:
(Guess my memory isn't so good!)

Well, I guess I did say that in post #2!

I wasn't just guessing, I had the little router mounted in my router table using the same mounting holes.

Stuart
17th December 2007, 10:36 AM
:rolleyes: sorry - missed that implication. Pobodys nerfect

Robo1
17th December 2007, 06:19 PM
Thank you Ray!
Rob...

skot
17th December 2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks to all for your response...I think I know which way I can go from here

Cheers

Carlo
14th May 2008, 09:16 PM
The baseplate is not the same for the two routers.

If you buy the template guides for the 1400W router, you also get a baseplate for the 2400W router (kind of a 2 for the price of one kit), but it isn't true the other way around. (And the 1400W kit is cheaper - weird!)

The guides themselves are identical for both routers.

As far as application - not all router bits have bearings, sometimes I have used the non-bearinged classic bit (for example) to route a channel around the inside of a shield design. The entire job is done blind. Haven't used them more than a couple of times in the last 3 or 4 years though!
Noticed at bunnings very dusty 1400w kit with 2400w plate and A WINDER HANDLE.does this handle also fit the 2400w router?.I was thinking of purchasing a 1400w to use as a hand held,is there a new model coming soon?.Is there anything (problems ) i should be aware of ?. thanks.
CARLO.

Stuart
15th May 2008, 02:22 AM
Hi Carlo,

No - the 1400W was developed off the 2400W design, and one of the things they added was the through-table winding feature. The 2400W does not have this, although it can be added by an aftermarket adaption from Professional Woodworkers Supplies (Router Raizer I think)

There is no new model router on the horizon that I am aware of. (Certainly nothing in the draft 2008/2009 catalogue that I've seen).

There are no issues with either model that would cause me not to recommend either router. I think both are a bit top heavy for handheld use, but that's the operator's call - if you like the feel, like (love) the features, then you are onto a winner.

dohboy
20th May 2008, 12:09 AM
Most above table dovetail jigs (Leigh, Eurojig etc) employ the use of guide bushes mounted to the router base or shaft mounted bearings on the router bit. Guide bushes are easier as their position remains the same even when you change the depth of the router bit.

damian
20th May 2008, 09:24 AM
I don't suppose anyone wants to sell a set. Regretting not buying the $35 kit at the wood show now I know the guides would fit my tra001. :(