PDA

View Full Version : My First Pyrography Pen

lubbing5cherubs
16th December 2007, 09:37 PM
HI I took you up on your suggestion this is first attempt. Round area was a bit of a challenge but considering I am still learning to burn. I am happy with the outcome. What your thoughts. Very hard to take a picture of it. I have tried doing 3 different ways still can't seem to get it all in. [:A11:] I am open to suggestions on way to improve. The eyes was a bit out and underturned the pen a bit. That I was not the happiest about
bye
Toni

ss_11000
17th December 2007, 01:15 AM
nice burning:cool:...but i dont think your turning and finishing is up to your usual standard:shrug:

lubbing5cherubs
17th December 2007, 04:03 AM
it wasn't made me as cranky as a meat ant. The eyes a bit out of practise.
Toni

Jim Carroll
17th December 2007, 08:57 AM
Toni you have picked a hard object to work on.

Turn some peices of wood to the same diameter and practice on those before you do a pen.

It is hard to keep the pen at the right angle all the way round the object.

Revolve the bit of wood and keep the pen at the same angle as you are used to when writing even bracing your wrist on the bench .

PenTurner
17th December 2007, 09:41 AM
Toni, you did well for a first attempt, especially on a round surface. i wish I could do Pyography, I purchased some equipment about 5 years ago, but really needed to go to a teacher. As for the pen, I can see that you tried to give the pena larger area to work on, but the shape is not as aesthetically good to look at. If you want a larger area to work on, use the sierra kit that comes with MOP or Abalone shell, that kit is much wider and gives more wood to work with, then you can use an smaller titanium kit for the MOP that you took the kit from. I have a couple here(straight black kit but of the larger size) that if you decide to give it a go, just pm me and i will send up. Amos:)

DJ’s Timber
17th December 2007, 10:19 AM
Nice one Toni, especially for a first attempt on a pen. So is it a Horse :q :roll:, hang on, no it's a Bird :doh: :U

Simomatra
17th December 2007, 11:06 AM
Good first up attempt Toni, I am sure it will improve with time.

I think if you follow Amos and Jim's advice then you will see an improvement

BernieP
17th December 2007, 12:18 PM
G'Day Toni

great first attempt, keep practicing as pyrography can be very enjoyable, not sure of your technique but a few things I find helps, always draw with a pencil first as this makes a indent for your iron to follow in, for practice draw celtic knots first as that way you master turning corners and shading. You probably saw my post but if you didn't go http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=58900&highlight=spindle+turning these are coloured with water colour pencils and then clear finish over them hope this helps

cheers
Bernie