PDA

View Full Version : Stringybark & Cypress Bowls

Calm
16th December 2007, 10:15 PM
Thought i had better show some of my work since helped me spend some money on tools and Ern and co at his turnfests have drilled me on tecnique and sanding so here are the last couple of bowls i turned.

The first was a peice of stringybark i got from a slabbing job i looked at. It started as a peice about 18 inches across and 5 inches thick a fruit bowl was the original intention but trying to get rid of the cracks in the timber changed the shape many times. Then the penny dropped and i realised the cracks were happening while i was turning so i tried to glue them up but ran out of CA so filled all the cracks with pva, buried it in the woodchips and went to bed. Couple of days later i retreived it and finished it to the shape it is. Mounted it in the longworth chuck and turned the recess off the base but of course as with the rest of the job the mandatory dig-in on the last cut had to be left or there would have been no base at all to balance on. Sanded to 1200 and finished with EEE and Glow - Daughter said it looks like a mexican hat upside down so that was a boost to the confidence and it will go into the cupboard for mums next church fate (plent of suckers there) make mental note PVA goes white when finished, as photos show.

The second was a cypress bowl - motivation from recent thread on cypress

This started out about the size of a soccer ball and shaped the outside while on the face plate. Turned a tenon on the bottom and mounted in the SN2 and took first cut off the top and the tenon broke cleanly on the grain right beside the chuck. Back onto the face plate and turned a recess for the chuck remounted and faced the top then the recess cracked so removed from chuck and mounted with faceplate on the flat surface of the recess. Reshaped the bowl slightly to bring it into line with the faceplate and hollowed out - all done with new HT 1/2 superflute - very nice to use. - Had the mandatory catch when finishing the inside about an inch from the top. Sanding to remove tool marks overheated the edge which of course cracked. So new tube of CA and tried to glue up but for some reason it wouldnt hold so removed the top 2 inches and now it is lower than intended. reversed into the longworth chuck and turned about an inch off the bottom which removed the screw holes. Sanded to 400 with wet & dry using Danish oil as the wetter - then finshed with EEE & glow. - Same daughter liked this one so the ego was inflated until the next attempt.

Now brace myself for the critisim - Go for it guys dont hold back, i wont get better if you dont tell me. Can;t learn all these things by trial and error surely.

Thunknker
16th December 2007, 11:37 PM
Hey mate I give you a ten for perseverance:2tsup:, and I know what it's like. I finally finished a lidded box last night after destroying the first three lids.
The finish on your pieces looks good and I really like colour in the cypress. The Stringybark looks like it has some nice figure but the foot looks a bit small.
Keep at it and we get a few less catches and much better at hiding them. If I run out of wood in a piece I just glue another bit on and try to make it look like I planned it that way.

funkychicken
17th December 2007, 12:02 AM
That's some nice looking timber, never seen cypress like that before.

Good work Calm! Keep on turnin'

joe greiner
17th December 2007, 12:08 AM
... make it look like I planned it that way.

That's the ticket, mates. My first "bowl" became more like a platter after successive mandatory refinements to the design. Later bowls too, alas. NASA calls it "mid-course correction."

Joe

Calm
18th December 2007, 05:33 PM
The Stringybark looks like it has some nice figure but the foot looks a bit small.

I think i might turn the centre out and replace it with a redgum foot like MACCA2 did with his "bowl with hole". The only worry is if the cracks open up too much. It is probably worth a try as it does look like a mexican hat upside down. It will be a stepped insert about 6 inches on the bottom (outside) and 4 inches on the top (inside). Hopefully i can do a job half as good as Macca2 did with his.

Any thoughts redgum or blackwood?

Thunknker
19th December 2007, 12:20 AM
Any thoughts redgum or blackwood?[/quote]

Redgum may be good if it has similar figure and a nice colour contrast, but then I havent seen the blackwood and it may blend better. It all comes down to personal preference and what chunks we have handy methinks.

Harry72
19th December 2007, 07:43 AM
Looks good Calm, turning can be frustrating at times eh!

I been trying to make a lazy susan from a slab of CL, looked real nice... until I came back to find it warped to buggery:( . Lucky I got some back up jarrah to make another!

Calm
21st December 2007, 09:09 PM
I think i might turn the centre out and replace it with a redgum foot like MACCA2 did with his "bowl with hole". The only worry is if the cracks open up too much. It is probably worth a try as it does look like a mexican hat upside down. It will be a stepped insert about 6 inches on the bottom (outside) and 4 inches on the top (inside). Hopefully i can do a job half as good as Macca2 did with his.

Any thoughts redgum or blackwood?

So i had a go. Not as good as Macca2's effort but it's ok. Maybe better if i used Blackwood instead of Redgum. What do you think?

The S&P grinder is a test one. Need a lot more practice on the beads. Being blackwood i found the skew didnt work well at all and had to use a scraper for most of the finishing. If time permits i will do a good pair for my sister. Hope this will do the trick for kris kringle this year. The limit is supposed to be $50. Probably went over but it wouldn't cost me that.

Opinions are most welcome.

hughie
21st December 2007, 10:18 PM
Looks good to me timber was/is a good choice. Beads well thats only practice and your well on the way. :U