PDA

View Full Version : Will solder hold?

Brickie
17th December 2007, 05:00 PM
Hi Guys.

I have just made this gate from steel, I used a soldering iron to stick all the metal together, it was a 200 amp jobbie which by my reckoning a is pretty powerful gizmo. :2tsup:

It should hold together shouldnt it? :)

RETIRED
17th December 2007, 05:06 PM
Good iron to leave burn marks like that.:rolleyes::p

DJ’s Timber
17th December 2007, 05:37 PM
Nice one Al, I take it you bent all the scrolls with your new bender from Metalcraft?

Don't think that one will be coming apart in a hurry :o

Brickie
17th December 2007, 05:45 PM
I used the muscles in my arm as the form and held the rod in my teeth. :harhar:

Gees you blokes are too good, I cant put nuffin past youse.

Here it is before hangin. :U

BobL
17th December 2007, 06:55 PM
Hi Guys.

I have just made this gate from steel, I used a soldering iron to stick all the metal together.

Does that mean if you want it to come apart you can just apply an Oxy at one end and slowly all the bits should fall off?

jow104
17th December 2007, 07:03 PM
That gate looks like asian sign language to me.

What does it say brickie?

Lignum
17th December 2007, 07:10 PM
A lot of work in them, well done :)
Not my cuppa though, as they look a bit like a dogs breakfast, still good work:)

Brickie
17th December 2007, 07:10 PM
That gate looks like asian sign language to me.

What does it say brickie?

Love you long time white fella

jow104
17th December 2007, 07:14 PM
Love you long time white fella

Your doorbell will be busy then. :rolleyes:

Brickie
17th December 2007, 07:17 PM
No one else can read it.

Back in a mo, there is someone at the door..

MrFixIt
17th December 2007, 08:07 PM
Hi

I have just made this gate from steel, I used a soldering iron to stick all the metal together, it was a 200 amp jobbie which by my reckoning a is pretty powerful gizmo. :2tsup:

It needed to be powerful to heat up THAT size metal. However that does not mean that the joint is "stronger".

That's a LOT of work. I would have used THAT job to justify a welder to SWMBO :2tsup:

If you have used soft solder, which I presume you have, seeing you used a soldering iron, then I have some bad news for you :C

That solder WILL slowly deteriorate. It make take a few years but it will eventually break down. That's why the old soft soldered gutters began to leak and needed to be repaired/replaced. If you keep the gate painted (the joints specifically) with an oil based paint then it will last a bit longer.

MrFixIt
17th December 2007, 08:21 PM
Hi

I used the muscles in my arm as the form and held the rod in my teeth. :harhar:

Gees you blokes are too good, I cant put nuffin past youse.

Here it is before hangin. :U

I noticed there is no diagonal bracing and there is no bracing within the design itself, you might find that the gate will droop under its own weight.

Lignum
17th December 2007, 08:41 PM
Hi I noticed there is no diagonal bracing and there is no bracing within the design itself, you might find that the gate will droop under its own weight.

That was my first observation. Whilst there is a lot involved in the scroll work, it does look structurally weak and will sag. A triangular structure should have been used in the initial design.

cub3
18th December 2007, 06:12 PM
Unfortunatley with solder NO

Unfortunatley because of design (or may I humbly say, lack of it) unfortunatley looking at a failure.

Regards.

Den

Lignum
18th December 2007, 06:54 PM
Unfortunatley with solder NO

Not the best photo, but i doubt it was solderd, even a bricklayer wouldnt be that silly. It would be arc or mig

chrisp
18th December 2007, 07:16 PM
Al,

If that's your soldering, I'd love to see your welding:wink:

joe greiner
18th December 2007, 11:12 PM

There seems to be enough redundancy for it to hold together. But, in addition to the chemical degradation cited by Peter (MrFixIt), lead is notorious for being subject to long-term strain under constant load (called "creep" in materials science). The supports at the midpoint of the driveway will help to prevent that. If it were simply hung from the hinges, it would be on the ground in a short time. Soldering is best applied for holding things in position, not for actual load-carrying.

I'd be somewhat concerned about out-of-plane distortion. A stray basketball or bicycle could do permanent damage. When/if time and budget permit, I'd suggest welding (real welding, that is) all the joints. There's probably enough flexural strength and stiffness in the infill elements to reduce the need for diagonals. Use a box fan or such to avoid breathing the fumes of the re-melted solder while welding.

Joe

Metal Head
19th December 2007, 09:25 AM
Hi Brickie,

Pretty impressive piece of work there. Do you have to lift the gates in order to avoid digging into the ground?

Did you use that solder with the blue flux coating?:)

Cheers
MH

Brickie
19th December 2007, 04:51 PM
Sorry guys, I though you might have seen through the ruse, its all mig welded, I just thought Id add a little humour..:-:-

Sorry if you took it seriously about the solder.

When was the last time you saw a 200 amp solderer? :roll: :D

Brickie
19th December 2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Brickie,

Do you have to lift the gates in order to avoid digging into the ground?

I have to cut the middle legs off the bottom of the gate, I left them there to get things worked out for hight etc...

Lignum
19th December 2007, 05:16 PM
Sorry guys, I though you might have seen through the ruse, its all mig welded, I just thought Id add a little humour.

I think the mods should change the title, its very misleading, i took this as a serious thread:?

Fossil
19th December 2007, 06:03 PM
When was the last time you saw a 200 amp solderer? :roll: :D

I think most of us got it.

You are a brickky after all. :D

jow104
19th December 2007, 06:30 PM
Well I thought I wouldn't ever employ him as a brickie if he does jobs like that using solder.:roll:

Lignum
19th December 2007, 06:38 PM
Well I thought I wouldn't ever employ him as a brickie if he does jobs like that using solder.:roll:

Well its hard to see his brickwork under all that pink paint:roll:

jow104
19th December 2007, 06:53 PM
Lignum, I think we have got him, he hasn't come up with a reply in 14 minutes :D

Brickie
19th December 2007, 07:09 PM
Well its hard to see his brickwork under all that pink paint:roll:

Arrhh..a lurker at the feral forum I see..:D:D:D

Brickie
19th December 2007, 07:15 PM
I wanted to do this as a front gate, but I was out voted.

We live opposite a catlick school and thought it would be good to scare the kiddies.. :rolleyes:

Lignum
19th December 2007, 07:41 PM
Arrhh..a lurker at the feral forum I see..:D:D:D

:? its the pics up above. They are pink on my putter:)

Brickie
19th December 2007, 07:49 PM
:? its the pics up above. They are pink on my putter:)

Fair enough, the colour is more red than pink like warspberry, maybe its your puter....:o

georgeandmary
31st December 2007, 04:14 PM
Would not want the kids swinging on it. :doh: