PDA

View Full Version : I just done created a design!!

Wild Dingo
18th December 2007, 02:16 AM
So I was thinking what was I gonna do about this boat design issue I have been having for some time now... I could purchase plans again... theres a few that are "close" to what I want but none are quite what I want if you know what I mean?

So I thought well awhile back I had done a few things that some had called "the impossible" for an uneducated wombat from the bush to do... first I shrunk a 50ft lugger down to 26ft... then "proved it" was possible by building a model that actually floated to her lines

So I thought that was a major headache doing that... I mean it took WEEKS... LITERALLY!!! Did I really want to go through all that drama an stress again?

YOU BET YER SWEET BUTTCHEEKS I DID!!

So yesty... yes yesty as in Saturday 15th I sat at my "desk" a notable corner of the dining table thats 99.9% covered in her highnesses sewing and quilting gear... got out sketch pad pencils erasers sharpeners rules triangles and ships curves (ala french curves) and considered what EXACTLY I wanted...

the thoughts for this came from my sis Vicky and her partner Gails desire for a carvel planked fishing boat for estuary and rivers around WA... but extrapolated as they do into something I think will be as good in deeper offshore waters say 5 miles out for the bigger fish.

Anyway long and short of it is... Im done!! WHEW!! couldnt believe it when I put me pencil down tonight that all I have to do now is find a corner of my shed and some timber and "prove" it by making a model... completed the lines drawing the profile the diagonals the offsets along with several station views and so far more than I did for the previous attempt... I tell you what she does look a lot sweeter than the first one due mostly to the use of the ships curves (ala french curves) which I didnt have the first time round... these things make it almost impossible not to get a great sweep to the shapes! :2tsup:

Okay... shes 18ft LOA x 6ft 6in BOA Draft of 1ft 7in powered by an inboard up to 15hp... a wet well in the cockpit... the cabin gives an internal space of 4ft 6in high so sitting room (maybe scrunching room?) room enough for a small bunk a stove and a esky maybe a porta potty... the cockpit gives a spacial area of 8ft x 6ft at its widest.

The design has its basis in the old Broome luggars and fishing boats off Albany

Anyway heres a couple of not so shytehot pics Ive just taken... hopefully you can make out at least the basic details.

Okay so the pics aint to clear... duhh it is pencil Shane... anyway you may notice what appears to be a lead keel on the keel? well cancel that!! and then you may notice the sheer does this wee jumpup? well I think a) it looks snazzy b) it gives a higher sheer at the front of the boat which I hope will give her a bit better sea keeping out ability c) she has what appears to be a high sheer... nope... the sheer is on two levels these change between stations 4 and 5 so forward of the centreline... it raises by 9inches... why 9 inches? cause thats what looked most pleasing... also it allows me to add a nice 6 inch balwark to the whole thing d) you will also notice what appear to be a forward and aft bollard? well you would be absolutely correct to think that cause thats the plan 5x5 Jarrah bollards forard an aft to help hoist crab pots cray pots and nets... I was initially considering how to incorporate a hoist such as the propa cray boats have but just couldnt get it right so gave up in preference for some hard yakka!

Anyway there you go... any thoughts ideas or comments... good or bad... go for your coits!!

Cheers
me

Tony Hunt
18th December 2007, 08:51 AM
Hi Shane

That looks good - a fine solid little craft if ever I saw one.

Are you wanting comments?

Cheers

Tony

Wild Dingo
18th December 2007, 11:20 AM
That looks good - a fine solid little craft if ever I saw one.

Are you wanting comments?

Cheers

Tony

Gidday there Tony
mate your comments would be appreciated... as would any others.
fine and solid being a good starting point! :;

Intention is to make her pretty robust Im presently debating if 1/2in planks are enough or if I should go to 3/4in instead either way is no biggie for me its more a matter of weight at that point... but I want her to be as SOLID as possible yet still appealing to the eyesockets of any who leer at her. I think Id rather over build her than underbuild... mind you IF one wanted Id like to make a version so that those with ply addictions could make one without any real dramas... I will get out Iain Oughtreds book and figure out the method of madness to doing ply as carvel thus giving that option.

I will be starting the prototype in January - February... celebrations doncha know!!!

Cheers... and yes IF you can see the damned papers well enough comments would be good
me!! :2tsup:

jmk89
18th December 2007, 11:32 AM
Shane

Are the second and third photos meant to be hull cross sections (uno the frames)? Cos they look like they aren't symetrical (could be the angle of the photo or my eyes).

Cheers

Jeremy

Tony Hunt
18th December 2007, 02:09 PM
Hi Shane

Well my two bob's worth is that I think the sheer looks a little flat for my taste. Apart from that, it all looks fine. Perhaps the counter could do with a tad more overhang? A 3D model will reveal all, anyway.

Cheers

Tony

Wild Dingo
18th December 2007, 03:47 PM
Jeremy Ive done each station separately (clearer for myself rather than any other reason) and it gives the shape of the hull at that point... I guess I could draw them out full size and use them as bulkheads in a build eh?... pics 2 an 3 show the half width shape (mark each stations half width then join the dots sorta thing?)
Im gonna have to darken the lines arent I? ah well no wukkers

Tony... flat? not that flamin flat thing again?? Strewth as I recall I had the same or similar issue with that luggar awhile back didnt I?... so give me some hints old son how do I UNflatten it?

Im playing with that Delft program (used to be freeship) and although I still have very little idea the shape is pretty good in there... will have a whirl at printing one off and scanning it then upload that later if you like?

Cheers!

Buzza
22nd February 2008, 12:29 AM
So where are you and your boat Ding? :)

You must have finished building it by now? :rolleyes: