Chiz.

Sir Chiz
24th November 2003, 07:34 PM
Sorry,forgot to add, 9.6mm x 6.3mm. ;)

Chiz.

minis4meau
27th November 2003, 10:15 PM
Chiz,
I DO like that....... Could you please provide some info on turning beef bone and preparation.
I have turned Tagua Nut but not bone. Very keen to try it in miniature turning.
Thanks,
Barbara

Sir Chiz
28th November 2003, 08:17 PM
Thankyou Barbara,I appreciate your kindness. :)
I've done a few others if you're interested,
Click the link below,you can click the thumbnails for a larger picture.
More Minis (http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album91&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&PHPSESSID=5724d9793dbf362d97d96b534fe7f3b1)

The blanks are cut from the outer wall of the bone, outside the marrow,so there's not much there.I think these were a shin bone,larger bones have thicker walls.
I bought a couple at the supermarket for cheap but after I boiled them to clean them,I found there wasn't enough to bother with. :(
So,I went to a pet shop where they sell them already boiled and clean,so I can pick the ones with the thickest parts.
I cut them on my bandsaw,standing them on end and used the thickest parts.
They tend to smell a bit when cutting on the saw,
but there's not much smell when turning.
I was told that you can boil them in water with baking soda and salt for an hour or so,if the smell bothers you.I haven't tried that.

I hold them in a chuck with pin jaws,center best as possible,use the tailstock for support till it's round.It is somewhat brittle till it's round.
I use a skew with light cuts to round it.
On this piece I used a 1/4" skew and gouge for the outside, an old hacksaw blade to cut a dovetail lip on the underside of the lid for a snap fit,then part off with the same.My hollowing tool is made from a masonry nail.

It cuts quite well and requires little sanding,
I used two grades of synthetic steel wool(3M) to polish them.
I have found cracks but just treat them with thin CA.

Thanks again.

Phil.

minis4meau
28th November 2003, 10:03 PM
Phil,
I am very impressed with those bone turnings. I like the clean sharp lines.
I have read a little on preparing bone but when it got to the boiling it up and bleaching and scraping it I backed down. I am encouraged now to have a go.
I find working around the void in the Tagua nut an interesting exercise so bone should not be too different.
Hope you don't mind I added a couple of my pics. The first is of my 3/4" bowl and fruit. The colours are natural Queensland timbers. The second pic is Tagua Nut and Myall.
Thanks for all the info, I have taken notes.
Barbara

minis4meau
28th November 2003, 10:14 PM
Apologies for quality of pics.

minis4meau
28th November 2003, 10:16 PM
Tagua Nut and Myall

Sir Chiz
29th November 2003, 06:01 AM
I guess I'm not the only one that needs a hobby! :D
Very impressive!! :D
I got the push pin idea from "Gallery B" at this link: More Mini Turnings (http://www.woodturningplus.com/miniature_turning.htm) ,but mine aren't that nice.
How do you make the curved stems?Are they carved?

I don't really see a need for bleaching bone, unless you're looking for whiteness.

I've used CA to fill the void in Tagua,turn off the end to expose the void,fill with CA and leave to cure overnight.
I read of others using epoxy with colorants added.
I've done a few Tagua nuts,I'll try to get a picture up later today.

Here's a picture of a bone finial added to a Black Palm box,it's about 3" tall.
If you scroll down to bottom right,click on "Chiz-Turnings",that'll take you to page "3of3", there' some other minis on pages 1 and 2.
Black Palm & Bone (http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&id=Black_White_Ebony&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php&PHPSESSID=5724d9793dbf362d97d96b534fe7f3b1)

Do you have more pictures?

Phil.

minis4meau
29th November 2003, 08:13 AM
I can see I am going to have to practice, practice, practice! What fine beautiful work you do.
Woodturning is only a new hobby for me and obviously I have a long way to go. I bought a little second-hand Carbatec Lathe which I love.
Thanks for the tips on the Tagua. This information is hard to find in books or on the Internet and I just bought half a dozen and had a go.
The stalks on the fruit are just small pieces of wire. The pic is so close up that the cut shows clearly. (And also shows my amateur turning - I always run before crawling!) They were superglued into the hole drilled pre-parting.
I made three fine tiny goblets from Huon Pine but unfortunately gave them away before taking pics.
I will borrow the digital camera again when I can and post some more pics.
Under is a pic of my first turnings - thinking I was pretty smart. As seen by the "plum" vase, there is much room for improvement. A local turner took pity on me and cut up a heap of blanks for me - timber he had collected out in Western Queensland most of it. I have enough to last me in mini turning for about 500 years!
Barbara

minis4meau
29th November 2003, 08:16 AM
Various timbers small turnings.

Sir Chiz
29th November 2003, 09:09 AM
I can honestly say are very nice for first turnings,not all my pieces are "gems". ;)
I've been turning about 2-1/2 years,so I'm no expert and have a lot to learn myself.I have found that taking the piece off the lathe and holding it up against a contrasting background helps me see the shape better,then go back and adjust it.

My wife was also impressed with your fruit,so you know what that means! ;) :D

There's a website with more info on Tagua,but I can't seem to find it right now,I'll keep looking.
<edit>I found it,I was spelling it wrong.

http://home.att.net/~rspragg/

These are the Tagua I've done so far,the 4 on the right have lids,the black accents are ebony.

minis4meau
29th November 2003, 11:51 AM
Please post a picture of the fruit when you have finished them!:D
Um, yes, taking a look at those Tagua Nut turnings of yours, I need LOTS more practice.
Oh well, back to the lathe.
Barbara

DavidG
29th November 2003, 09:21 PM
Cheers. :p

minis4meau
29th November 2003, 11:55 PM
An Australian goblet! Excellent work, DavidG. What timber is that please?
B.

Sir Chiz
30th November 2003, 07:20 PM
David,that's cool!

What is it...Blue Gum??? :D

Got any more??

Chiz.

DavidG
30th November 2003, 09:26 PM
Kingwood.

Bit left over from pen making.

Sort of a little bit of time wasting when I was bored with what I was supposed to be doing on the lathe.

Sir Chiz
2nd December 2003, 04:35 PM
Kingwood? Blue? Is it dyed? I'm lost again.

Somebody asked about a set of wine glasses,
this is what I came up with.

Chiz.

DavidG
2nd December 2003, 05:02 PM
Sir Chiz

Blue???? must be your monitor.

Kingwood is a dark wood with a purple tinge.

Photo does not do justice to the colour as I used a normal light.
See
http://www.gilmerwood.com/rosewoods.htm

Set of. :eek: Who said anything about a set of.
I have enough trouble with one of, with out trying for more.;)

Sir Chiz
2nd December 2003, 05:45 PM
Hi David,that's weird,it looks purplish blue,I thought it was corian or an acrylic.
That's why I first asked if it was "Blue" Gum,I wouldn't know Blue Gum if ya hit me with it. ;)
I just bought some Kingwood pen blanks last week but haven't turned any yet.

That's odd,the color of my pieces looks correct.
Oh well,I still like it anyway! :D

Phil.

DavidG
2nd December 2003, 08:21 PM
Sir Chiz

I think your photography is far better than mine.

I do not think I caught the colour or grain of the wood.
The coin is clear but the camera is an auto digital which does a good point and shoot job, but is not so good for delicate work.

I will try to get a photo in natural light.

BTW 'Blue gum' wood is Red in colour.

minis4meau
2nd December 2003, 08:30 PM
Hey Guys,
He who dies with the finest, smallest goblet wins.
Just wait till I get the digital camera charged up!
Barbara

Sir Chiz
3rd December 2003, 04:25 PM
(sniff- sniff)....(sniff-sniff)...

Do I smell a challenge??? :D

Sir Chizalot.

oges
3rd December 2003, 04:45 PM
awesome work from the lot of you, no idea how you do them so small or how you even fit them on the lathe. Im imagining you get a big piece of wood and work it down to size and then cut off base once done?

Anyway i'd prefer a beer tankard or schooner glass to a wine goblet :D

DavidG
3rd December 2003, 09:59 PM
Looks like I am going to have to pinch a bone off the dog.

If you do not hear from me for a while it means I lost.

minis4meau
3rd December 2003, 11:38 PM
That dog doesn't look like he will give up his left leg for anybody!
Two apologies - one for photo quality, as usual, and two - whoops, the goblet is plenty fine enough but a little tall at 1cm. I lose. Back to the lathe.

minis4meau
3rd December 2003, 11:40 PM
Tagua and Myall Urn (3cm)

minis4meau
3rd December 2003, 11:45 PM
Feather Duster

minis4meau
3rd December 2003, 11:51 PM
Arcadia Gallery - Home for my woodturning strays. A few spaces left for some bone experiments! Ugh!
Barbara

vcohen
4th December 2003, 09:40 AM
Hi Guys & Gals,

all of your work is just amazing!

Reckon you all have binoculars for eyes!!!!!

I have trouble seeing 300mm of 4x2!

Now I know what is meant by 'small is better'

Cheers:p

jhunt_2000
4th December 2003, 03:32 PM
Hi all, Great turnings. I too am astonished at the detail in something so small. On the subject of bone turning though have any of you ever heard of anthrax being transmitted through bone products or contracted by workers. Yeah it sounds weird but Oz has anthrax wandering around in the cattle/sheep/goat population and people who work with animal products are at risk,slight to be sure but risk none the less, of catching anthrax. Maybe worth some extra precautions, especially respirator cause while skin anthrax has a 5 - 20% mortality rate (still to high to mess with unprotected if you ask me), inhalation anthrax is much deadlier. Further info on the web anywhere like CDC (Centre for Disease Control) etc. I dont know how the spores respond to boiling though so if anyone does I'd love to hear. Happy turning all.

oges
4th December 2003, 04:56 PM
Barbara
I love your display gallery

minis4meau
5th December 2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks jhunt, for the warning. I will indeed be cautious if and when I take up the bone turning....... I have watched a Maori bone carver at the Christchurch, New Zealand, Visitor Centre at his trade using a Dremel to work on bone. I have a brother-in-law Health Inspector there so I will put the issue to him and get back to you.
Thanks also to Brett for your comments. I must admit I have a fear of turning anything larger than this. I hear stories, some in this bulletin, of flying bowls and tools and think, no I'll stick to the small stuff thanks. It's easy!
So, here are a couple of pics of the set of three goblets I have to a friend some months ago...... Getting smaller.......
Barbara

minis4meau
5th December 2003, 05:39 PM
Huon Pine Goblets

Sir Chiz
6th December 2003, 04:49 AM
Jhunt,thanks for tip,all this time I've been afraid to turn Cocobolo. ;)
I'd like to think that laws here in the U.S. are strict concerning diseased animals,but when dealing with "pet shop" products,you never know where a product comes from.Worth looking into.

Brett,thanks!Most my mini stuff starts from a pen blank,which measures about 3/4" square x 5" long.
Other larger pieces,2" tall,are often cut from the corners of a square bowl blank.After cutting the blank square to round on a bandsaw,4 corners are left over,if they look interesting,I save them.
Problem with those is that they are usually cross-grained and can break easily.

Barbara,the myall urn in fron of the painting was quite an illusion till I saw it in the "gallery" :D
Time to sharpen up the dentistry tools! ;) :D

Chiz.