PDA

View Full Version : Unimat SL

Penpal
18th December 2007, 08:06 PM
Lucked on one last Saturday set up as a minimill.It has a Collet Chuck fitted on the main spindle,the Collet holder has a taper inside that
is 14mm approx down to 10.5mm at the main shaft,it is precision fitted.

I am looking for a 1/4 inch Collet and a nose cone with a 20mm thread.

I stripped the motor that looked outside rusted at the bottom bearing,sleeve type,cleaned and oiled is silky smooth running,the bushes and commutator sweet as a nut,negligible use I would say.

Went to a garage sale for a three phase 2 hp motor for my 18 inch ex meat saw I converted with bearing guides and a table fixed instead of a sliding one.I feel that replacing the four hp single phase motor that is as old as me with a 2 hp three phase variable speed control would take away the huge thrust on start that I dont like,sounds like a truck start.The sale guy didnt have a motor the size etc I wanted but an earlier buyer arrived to collect his purchases and he collects motors and I followed him to his home and purchased a near new motor from him.

Whilst waiting for the motor man I spied this mill set up with a rotting wood base and top rust not knowing what it was,took a punt,chucked it in the boot and at home with the benefit of glasses realised I had another challenge.Also got a 4 inch linisher one of those heavy ones waiting for some TLC.

Anyone out there with a metric Unimat SL? I downloaded a manual from the net and put out some feelers for bits.

I want to do small inlays with this mill and can achieve this with only the nose cone and 1/4 inch collet.The splined shaft that moves the stem is also missing but if push comes to shove I will make one unless I find one in the mean time. Any one know who sell splined shaft about 11 mm?

lots of fun Peter:2tsup:

neksmerj
18th December 2007, 09:05 PM
Hi Pete,

Aha, another Unimat owner, well done, they are terrific for small bits and pieces. You can almost use it on your lap. I have the Unimat 3 with milling attachment, and lots of other goodies.

There are lots of Unimat SL bits and pieces on eBay, especially in the States.

Good one old son, sounds like you had a field day, a bit like being let loose in the lolly shop with ten bob in your pocket.

Ken