PDA

View Full Version : Caught some Lightning over Adelaide tonite!

woodbe
19th December 2007, 12:01 AM
This was a real fluke:

http://photohiker.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p512598656-4.jpg

woodbe.

nev25
19th December 2007, 12:48 AM
Great Pic
What sort of Camera do you have

jow104
19th December 2007, 01:22 AM
If he was at the bottom of that right hand strike, None now.:)

clubbyr8
19th December 2007, 03:01 AM
Great shot woodbe. What lens did you use on the 5D?

woodbe
19th December 2007, 07:50 AM
I took it with the 24-105 at about 40mm/F8. It's actually an 8 second exposure at 1000 ISO, I was taking a time-lapse sunset sequence that I kept runnng because the weather was rolling in and I was interested to see how it all turned out.

I'll see if I can make a small enough version of the time-lapse to post on the net. It's quite interesting to watch.

woodbe.

Big Shed
19th December 2007, 07:55 AM
Great photo woodbe, where was it taken from?

woodbe
Great Pic
What sort of Camera do you have

Hi Nev,

It's a Canon 5D, but you could have taken this shot with anything that has time exposure. It's just a matter of having the shutter open and the camera pointing the right way when the lightning strikes.

Piece of cake, really. :D :D

woodbe.

fred.n
Great Shot

woodbe
19th December 2007, 08:30 AM
Hi. I've squashed the time-lapse down to a bit over a megabyte: Click the picture below to access the movie. Needs Quicktime.

http://www.adam.com.au/maf/ww/SunsetStorm.jpg (http://www.adam.com.au/maf/ww/SunsetStorm.mov)

woodbe.

wheelinround
19th December 2007, 08:35 AM
fantastic woodbe should send onto The Weather Channel - Forecast (http://www.weatherchannel.com.au/Magic94scripts/mgrqispi94.dll?APPNAME=WC&PRGNAME=WC&LayGroups=&SearchFor=&Function=SuburbForecast&SuburbId=1019&WeatherMaps=0&=0&Leisure+Reports=0&=0)
or Australia's storm chasers Storm chasing stock storm Video Videos DVD DVDs pictures photos photographs storm chaser storm chasers Severe Weather Pictures storms Photos Tours Australia Tornado Chasing Photos hailstorms tornadoes supercell supercells Australia Australian Severe Weather (http://australiasevereweather.com/index.html)

bitingmidge
19th December 2007, 08:36 AM
Great movie too!

Did you have a 'puter attached while that was happening, or just in camera?

P
:D

Pusser
19th December 2007, 10:59 AM
Really good sequence.

Pops
19th December 2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Woodbe,

Great shot mate, blooming fantastic. Just love lightning photos.

Cheers
Pops

ss_11000
19th December 2007, 04:10 PM
:clap: great shot...looks like a good desktop background, mind if i use it?

Brown Dog
19th December 2007, 04:33 PM
very cool pics woodbe....definately worth framing :cool:

woodbe
19th December 2007, 05:55 PM
Big Shed, Just above the tollgate in the Adelaide hills.

bitingmidge, haven't ever tried shooting thethered. Have enough trouble as it is :)

stirlo, go for it. If you tell me the res of your monitor in a PM, I'll size one up for you.

woodbe.

Big Shed
19th December 2007, 05:58 PM
Big Shed, Just above the tollgate in the Adelaide hills.

woodbe.

Thanks woodbe, used to live on Penfold Rd just south of Kensington Rd and thought it may have been top end of Kensington Rd.

Not too far away though.

sumu
19th December 2007, 07:03 PM
Really good one, did you hear a countdown for that one? :2tsup:

kippis,

sumu

Harry72
20th December 2007, 07:49 AM
Nice shot WB

Bleedin Thumb
20th December 2007, 10:03 AM
Great shot WB and I really like the sequence time lapse. What did you have to do to link them into a movie?

pawnhead
20th December 2007, 10:10 AM
Awesome photo woodbe.

Unfortunately I get a blank when trying to view the QT movie. It says that it's missing software that's not available from the QT server.
I've got QT installed, and I've had no problems with the QT flicks that I've taken from my camera. :?

zenwood
20th December 2007, 11:23 AM
The photo and the movie are completely brilliant. The movie especially has everything: sunset, rolling storm clouds, aircraft whizzing through the scene, rain and lightning. The viewpoint combined with the content gives it great depth.

I'd love to see a bigger version of the movie, perhaps with slightly more frames per second. (If you have one...)

Koala-Man
20th December 2007, 12:23 PM
gee God must be really, really angry at Adelaide. What have you guys been up to?

zenwood
20th December 2007, 04:30 PM
gee God must be really, really angry at Adelaide. What have you guys been up to?
Not angry enough: we need more rain! Perhaps if we sin hard enough, we'll get a flood;)

woodbe
21st December 2007, 01:41 AM
The photo and the movie are completely brilliant. The movie especially has everything: sunset, rolling storm clouds, aircraft whizzing through the scene, rain and lightning. The viewpoint combined with the content gives it great depth.

I'd love to see a bigger version of the movie, perhaps with slightly more frames per second. (If you have one...)

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. Glad you all like it :)

I'll see if I can make something bigger without blowing the megabytes too much. How much faster? This one is 30fps and there's 410 frames I think.

woodbe.

zenwood
22nd December 2007, 12:31 AM
The action just seemed to whizz by a bit too fast, woodbe. Aren't movies shown at about 24 fps? Maybe try that. Which would make it last 17 secs. Can you make one with the full camera resolution? At 5Megs per pic, that's only a 2 Gig file ;).

WoodyKnot
22nd December 2007, 12:05 PM
G'day, totally awesome pic mate. Unfortunaitely I don't have QT so can't view the movie. Country Energy's website has a storm tracker link which has a short video, a perfect storm (www.countryenergy.com.au (http://www.countryenergy.com.au)), as well as weather radars n stuff all linked to BOM. From what I've read of other folks comments, yours should be posted there instead.
Later
Woodyknot.

Eli
22nd December 2007, 08:18 PM
Really fantastic. Thanks for sharing it.:2tsup: