PDA

View Full Version : metrinch spanners/sockets

jaspr
19th December 2007, 09:53 AM
hi

I'm hoping that someone here can help me with where to buy metrinch sockets and spanners.

I can find them at amazon and a couple of other US sellers - but they don't ship to Oz.

I can find them at Toolies - but only at exorbinant prices.

Why do I want them - a christmas present for HWMBO - who has the misfortune of owning a very nice looking (:U) but otherwise unreliable (:() Discovery. Unfortunately, he loves it despite the fact that it costing a fortune! And a metrinch set has been recommended to him.

Anyone have any info that would help??

cheers

addo
19th December 2007, 08:09 PM
Do you know if there's a reason it has to be Metrinch? Does the car have a spread of metric and imperial (AF) fasteners?

I wonder if the product was recommended by an American or Canadian source who was more used to imperial sizings... What kind of procedures would Mr Discovery be likely to undertake - fitting accessories, changing small suspension parts?

Good tools are expensive, any way you slice it. From memory there's a couple of forums for the Discovery - if the man concerned doesn't haunt them, you could look for the straight truth on fastener type, and good "starter" sets.

Failing that I would try talking to a LR service advisor in person and hope they understand your situation.

At a blind guess, I would actually pick up a Kinchrome Professional Series socket set in 3/8" drive with metric six-point sockets, and a matching set of combination spanners.

Regards, Adam.

malb
19th December 2007, 08:34 PM
Google Metrinch (Aus sites) gives about 700 links including distributors. They are good stuff.

mat
19th December 2007, 09:40 PM
Jaspr
You can get them at Fisher Discounts in Fyshwick,

I would however advise against metrinch as they need a fair degree of rotation to engage. Not much good in the confined spaces of motor vehicles.

jaspr
22nd December 2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks everyone

I did find a number of Aussie resellers, but as I'm in Canberra I was looking for a mail order reseller.

matt - I didn't think to try Fisher Discounts :doh::B. I can appreciate your point about room for rotation.

addo - I'm not entirely sure why he wants metrinch - but he was last heard bemouning the 'butchers' who had rounded some of his nuts (ouch!!:D). He is having problems with his drive train - diffs and shafts and things.

He does haunt the Disco forums - probably keeps them running!:D

Anyway - because he asked for some, I have ordered them from the US. I found the price of the originals very high in Australia (though there are some cheaper copies available). Saved over $80 even with international postage and I was able to order a 62 piece set with sockets and spanners, that I couldn't find in Oz.

Thanks for everyone's help.