PDA

View Full Version : MDF Glue

HappyHammer
19th December 2007, 10:21 AM
I'm making a simple box out of 12mm MDF and just want to edge glue the MDF together. Any views on best glue? Can I use normal woodworking glue ie Triton wood glue? Would two part epoxy be better / worse? The box is actually more of a bin with an open top and a masonite back also glued. The whole thin will be painted with dimensions of 1000mm wide by 330mm tall by about 400mm deep. Simple picture attached.

HH.

Pusser
19th December 2007, 10:32 AM
PVA is good.

HappyHammer
19th December 2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks Pusser the Triton glue I have is PVA so I'll go with that.:2tsup:

HH.

Hickory
19th December 2007, 12:48 PM
My experience with glueing MDF is that when you clamp the pieces together the glue seems to absorb deeply into the MDF and leaves little for adhesion. So... What I do is glue as normal wood then put in clamps (similar to dry fitting, etc.) then open the clamps and re-apply glue, re-clamp and be on my way. Could be that there is enough glue in the joints before I re-glue, but I once had to open the joint for another reason and saw where it looked like there was no glue, just the stain where it soaked in... this bothered me and so I re-applied, the results were successful, so, not wanting to risk failure, I follow this process. May be a waste of time and glue, but it is what I do.

Lignum
19th December 2007, 12:51 PM
PVA Yellow glue is designed for MDF because of the wax in the boards:)

gpsmith
19th December 2007, 12:54 PM
Lignum,
a cabinet maker recommended using Melamine board adhesive AV56 when gluing mdf.
You get it at some hardware stores or places like Bradley and Wilson - the smallest container is 500 ml though.

cheers,

Lignum
19th December 2007, 01:26 PM
a cabinet maker recommended using Melamine board adhesive AV56

AV56 is a brilliant glue, but more suited to gluing other materials like plastics etc to MDF It will work but is a little overkill, The same company makes AV180 and is the choice of the majority of cabinetmakers around. Its around $70 for 5 liters not sure how much for the smaller quantities

Get info on all their glues here :)

http://www.avsyntec.com.au

The new AV515 single component, solvent free, moisture cured polyurethane. looks great. Has anyone tried it yet?