PDA

View Full Version : Cracked regulator on air compressor - help!

JontyG
19th December 2007, 07:53 PM
Hi All,

I recently bought an air compressor, and changed the quick connect fittings on the regulator to nitto type fittings. I have since noticed some fine cracks appearing around the new fittings in the regulator. I specifically avoided tightening the new fittings too much to avoid this problem...

I've tried to remove the regulator by turning it anti-clockwise, but it won't budge! Any tips on removing it from the tank?

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy a replacement regulator from?

Thanks,
Jonty

Dean
20th December 2007, 09:09 AM
Hit if with some WD-40 or INOX to loosen the fitting. Leave it for a few hours then try again. Get some leverage if possible to undo it, but be careful!

As for replacement regulator, depends what quality you want and whether you want a water trap on it. You can get em from Bunnings, but Supercheap has some too. They ahve a fairly bulky regulator with moisture trap (cant remember price) which looks reasonable quality if you don't want something ultra expensive - as long as it fits, or a smaller one with moisture trap (around $30-$40) which is ok too for a smaller compressor - I have one of these on mine and has worked fine with no dramas.

Otherwise check Yellow Pages for local pneumatic tools suppliers for the trades. They will have the higher end regulators if it is a larger compressor.

JontyG
20th December 2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks Dean.

Managed to finally get the SOB off, using WD40 and heat.

Unfortunately the reg and guages are specific for the compressor I have, but the supplier has offerred to try and chase up a spare for me. In the meantime I'm trying soem JB Weld on the cracks, so we will see if it works as a temporary fix...

Jonty