PDA

View Full Version : JET 6" deluxe long bed jointer.

Robo1
20th December 2007, 08:08 PM
Just bought one of these. any set up tips or hints for assembly?
Thanks...Rob...

MurrayD99
21st December 2007, 06:44 AM
Is it new? If so, the book should be a good starting point. If the book is rubbish (or if there isn't one) go to the Grizzly or Delta sites and download a manual for the jointer that looks most like what you got. You should not need to adjust anything except the belt tension and the depth of cut. If the knives need sharpening, that's another subject....

Robo1
21st December 2007, 06:50 AM
Yes its new! just thought I would ask and see if anyone had any tips that may be are not in the book. always good to learn from other peoples experiance.
Thanks...Rob..

MurrayD99
21st December 2007, 06:59 AM
Touch wood it is set up perfectly and hasn't been dropped etc.... and with Jet quality - it'll be perfect straight out of the box. The tricky stuff comes when it isn't right and it needs a bit of fine tuning.

Robo1
22nd December 2007, 07:24 AM
Ok
Picked it up yesterday, and put it together. Had a couple of minor problems and thats it, the rest was a piece of cake.
the first hassel was installing the blade guard. you have to get the shaft of the blade guard that has an open slot at the bottom of it over a preloaded spring in a socket in the bed, the spring has two locating tabs one that holds it in the socket and an other that you engage in the slot on the end of the guard shaft, trouble is when you preload the spring the top locating tab covers the bottom one that the slot in the end of the shaft has to engage. I had to get a screwdriver and leaver the top tag of the spring out of the way through the socket from the bottom so I could get the shaft past it and on to the bottom one.
The other problem was because I did not read the instructions properly. The machine has a depth stop limiter on the infeed table, this is to restrict your first depth of cut to 1/8" I could not understand why I could not get full range of movement with the adjusting wheel on the infeed table, I read the instruction book again and found out what It was, my problem not the machines! The rest of it was easy. As said before the sttings are correct out of the box, and it is prewired for 240, so no mucking about with changing from 115-230 volt ect.
Im stoked, can't wait to start running some stock through it.
Rob...

munruben
22nd December 2007, 08:54 AM
Congratulations, have fun with your new toy:2tsup:

Stevenp
22nd December 2007, 10:16 AM
Well done Rob, you wont be sorry about your choice.
I bought the 8" model a couple of months ago and am very happy with it.
One thing to check out though, when I got mine it came pre-wired but got my brother ( Electrician) to check it out to make sure it was OK, he found that it was NOT earthed and rectified the problem. Just something to keep in mind.maybe get it checked out. It could have been pretty dangerous.:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
22nd December 2007, 11:46 AM
One thing to check out though, when I got mine it came pre-wired but got my brother ( Electrician) to check it out to make sure it was OK, he found that it was NOT earthed and rectified the problem. Just something to keep in mind.maybe get it checked out. It could have been pretty dangerous.:2tsup:

I hope you told the supplier about this, as it could be the same for every machine that was assembled by the person that did it :o

Stevenp
22nd December 2007, 12:52 PM
I hope you told the supplier about this, as it could be the same for every machine that was assembled by the person that did it :o

Yeah, I rang them as soon as I found out, he was very apologetic and unaware of the problem. He thanked me for the call and assured me he would follow up on it.:smack:

DJ’s Timber
22nd December 2007, 01:02 PM
Good one :2tsup:, hope the person responsible got a good:smack:

Robo1
22nd December 2007, 07:55 PM
OK I have a sparkie mate Ill get him to make sure its right.
I would have loved to have bought the 8" but I was stretching it paying for the 6" and I still need to get a thicknesser! I bought it of Gary Pye, wonderful bloke, i'm going to be an repeat customer thats for sure!..:):):)
Rob...