PDA

View Full Version : 2 boxes from scratch

Carry Pine
20th December 2007, 10:23 PM
My boss cut down a Silky oak in February this year and said I could have some logs for firewood. With some advice from Forum members about seasoning etc, I decided to take a few logs, split them and attempt to salvage some usable pieces for boxes. Logs split and then cut up on Triton WC.

Attached are pictures of 2 boxes.

1) Loose lidded box made completely of Silky oak. Splines and mitres cut with SCMS. 205mm X 55mm high and 115mm wide. Base is 2mm thick and in 2 pieces. Finish is white shellac with 2 coats of trad wax (U Beaut).

2) Hinged box in silky oak with veneered (4 pieces over mdf) top and bottom. 190mm X 70mm high and 115mm wide. Dovetails done with Leigh jig (second item made with jig). Rare earth magnets used. Finished as in box 1. Deliberately underplayed the veneer to highlight the silky oak.

The boss gets them tomorrow as a Christmas present and will be presented on the site of the ex-tree! Very dramatic.

Happy to be able to post a few pics as I have had trouble recently.

Carry Pine

oldbob13
20th December 2007, 11:17 PM
Grahame
Good looking boxes there.
I look forward to some boxes of Holly, you know being that time of the year and all.:wink:
BobT

wheelinround
21st December 2007, 08:26 AM
Very nice CP like the magnets also

munruben
21st December 2007, 08:58 AM
Beautiful work. You have really done justice to the Silky Oak and the finish in my book is superb. I love that nice simple appearance but intricate design. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
21st December 2007, 09:24 AM
Lovely! Silky oak is such a classic timber, one you can rarely go wrong with.

I reckon the boss will be stoked!:2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

sbolton
21st December 2007, 01:39 PM
Very nice indeed. Do you mind indicating if you hand cut the joinery, or what jig you used?

sb

sbolton
21st December 2007, 01:46 PM
Please ignore all of the comment and question I just posted except for the "very nice indeed" part. I read it again and see you used the Leigh.

I missed this because I was distracted by the beauty of your work.

Sorry,

SB

Bleedin Thumb
21st December 2007, 02:12 PM
Nice work.:2tsup:

Carry Pine
21st December 2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the +ve comments. Boss was actually dumbfounded. We were invited to his place for a backyard Christmas drink. I arrived early and he was showing me around. He showed me where a big silky oak once was (he forgets stuff) and got really sucked in. I said, remember when you gave me some of that? he replied, Yeh it doesn't burn well does it?
I then produced the boxes, one for his daughter and one for him.
Poor bugger just didn't know what to say. It was worth the effort.

Carry Pine

watson
21st December 2007, 07:50 PM
Good Resolve!
Well Done

I_wanna_Shed
22nd December 2007, 09:37 PM
Great work Graham!

I bet the boss didn't know what hit him! It would be a big surprise to receive 'firewood' back like that.

It certainly looks like you have the knack of the Leigh jig now (and also the skill of milling), the boxes came up really well. The silky oak grain has a marvellous effect.

Cheers,
Nathan.