PDA

View Full Version : Can i paint a stencilled driveway??

PhoenixP
21st December 2007, 09:05 AM
Hi guys i am in need of help.
I have a stencilled driveway and its a charcoal grey colour, but i did something stupid by using methylated spirits to burn all these maggots that were on my bin and the ground.
Now the stencilled driveway is all white in the areas that i used the metho. :doh:
Can i get paint to match the colour of the driveway and paint it or its not as easy as just getting paint and painting over the white areas?
I am really in the bad book with the mrs until i fix it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

wheelinround
21st December 2007, 09:10 AM
Hi guys i am in need of help.
I have a stencilled driveway and its a charcoal grey colour, but i did something stupid by using methylated spirits to burn all these maggots that were on my bin and the ground.
Now the stencilled driveway is all white in the areas that i used the metho. :doh:
Can i get paint to match the colour of the driveway and paint it or its not as easy as just getting paint and painting over the white areas?
I am really in the bad book with the mrs until i fix it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

:doh: is right

munruben
21st December 2007, 09:20 AM
If you know who did the original work laying the drive, it might be an idea to contact them and see what they suggest. I know you can use a paving type paint for drives but how long it will stand up to heavy use, I don't know. I saw some drives painted in sydney and after a few years they looked shocking. Paint flaking off etc. On the other hand I saw some that stood up quite well. If the white patches are just where you have poured the meths then maybe you have just damaged the surface layer and sometimes this can be revived with a clear sealer similar to the one that is used on slate. Brings back the colour to the slate but don't know if this would work on your stenciled drive.
Meths can be qute harmful to some finishes especially acrylics and plastic finishes.
Sorry I can't be more help to you but I never got around to painting drives. Painted just about everything else but no drives. Good luck, someone else may have experienced a similar problem and have an answer for you.

Ivan in Oz
21st December 2007, 09:32 AM
The Paint used to be Solvent based.
Guessing they still are.

Try one of the Concrete Stenciling Wholesalers
there are only a few Standard Colours

PhoenixP
21st December 2007, 09:48 AM
:doh: is right
LOL
i'm in deep deep kaka

PhoenixP
21st December 2007, 09:52 AM
If the white patches are just where you have poured the meths then maybe you have just damaged the surface layer and sometimes this can be revived with a clear sealer similar to the one that is used on slate. Brings back the colour to the slate but don't know if this would work on your stenciled drive.

Yeah the white patches are just where i poured the metho.
I'll try using a solvent based paint as suggested by Ivan and then i could perhaps try and seal it.
Thanks for all your advices and i'll try it on the weekend and let you know how it all went.

Ivan in Oz
21st December 2007, 10:18 AM
The Paint used to have a VOLITILE Solvent,
Not the Standard Turpentine or like.

Sealer was based on the same Solvent,
this is 12+ YEARS AGO

PhoenixP
21st December 2007, 10:22 AM
The Paint used to have a VOLITILE Solvent,
Not the Standard Turpentine or like.

Sealer was based on the same Solvent,
this is 12+ YEARS AGO

Do you have an idea on what brand to go with or a link to any product that i could use??

PhoenixP
21st December 2007, 10:37 AM
I just got off the phone with a sales rep from HiTech and he was the most helpful guy. :2tsup:
He told me that all i need to do is buy some clear sealer and some storm grey tint.
Add the tint to the sealer in a separate container and use a paint brush and dab it into the affected area and keep adding a few drops of tint to it until the colour matches.
Afterwards, use the clear sealer and then let dry.
I'll keep you all posted and i'll try to get pics and post it up for before and after shots.
Woo hoo i think i might just get back into the good books with the mrs now.

Ivan in Oz
21st December 2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry on that one,
to long ago
and I was in Brisvagas at the time.

Try someone like
HytECK or something like that

Or do the Yellow Pages?

Anyone else help!!!!!
out here?

wheelinround
21st December 2007, 02:23 PM
I just got off the phone with a sales rep from HiTech and he was the most helpful guy. :2tsup:
He told me that all i need to do is buy some clear sealer and some storm grey tint.
Add the tint to the sealer in a separate container and use a paint brush and dab it into the affected area and keep adding a few drops of tint to it until the colour matches.
Afterwards, use the clear sealer and then let dry.
I'll keep you all posted and i'll try to get pics and post it up for before and after shots.
Woo hoo i think i might just get back into the good books with the mrs now.

:2tsup: GREAT MATE WOOF

I was going to suggest ringing my wifes friends hubby the are concreter's just over the other side of Elizabeth Dr.

Now if it all works swmbo has to buy you tools for Christmas :D

PhoenixP
24th December 2007, 12:32 PM
Hey wheelinround i just noticed that you are at Hinchinbrook which isnt too far from me.
I'm going to be moving into the Hinchinbrook area soon.
Thanks for everyones input into this and Merry Xmas & have a safe and happy New Year. :2tsup:

wheelinround
24th December 2007, 03:32 PM
Hey wheelinround i just noticed that you are at Hinchinbrook which isnt too far from me.
I'm going to be moving into the Hinchinbrook area soon.
Thanks for everyones input into this and Merry Xmas & have a safe and happy New Year. :2tsup:

No worries Phoenix I thought you'd just moved to Cecil Hills :?

Will contact you after christmas see what your up to.

Ray