PDA

View Full Version : more rocking horse photos

Wongo
25th November 2003, 10:10 AM
A few time capsule items were inserted in hollow body. (Family photos, photo copy of documents, a lock of my daughter's hair...)

Wongo
25th November 2003, 10:11 AM

Biggles
25th November 2003, 09:54 PM
Great work!!! BTW how does someone retrieve the time capsule without damaging the horse? You would hope it would be an antique by the time they want to open it up.Never thought of doing that though! May have to do some in my furniture too!

PS:-Do you lift it's tail for the opening?:D

DPB
26th November 2003, 07:55 AM
Wongo, this looks very much like a horse I did last year based on a UK design known as "The Little Red Rocker", but may be a little larger.

Yours differs in that it has a mane. Would you please descrive the timber you used, and indicate from where the design originated?

Thanks.:)

Wongo
26th November 2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Wongo
A few time capsule items were inserted in hollow body. (Family photos, photo copy of documents, a lock of my daughter's hair...)

Hopefully these time capsule items will never be seen again unless the horse is badly damaged. It sounds silly but it also makes it so special. It will be a nice story to tell her when she grows up and may be to her kids.

Wongo
26th November 2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by DPB
Wongo, this looks very much like a horse I did last year based on a UK design known as "The Little Red Rocker", but may be a little larger.

Yours differs in that it has a mane. Would you please descrive the timber you used, and indicate from where the design originated?

Thanks.:)

It is Plan 109 Medium Rocking Horse with Deluxe Accessory Set from the Rocking Horse Shop. The horse is made from Kauri and the stand is Jarrah.

I like your little red rocker, tell me more about it. Timber, finish, how old is the owner…. Are you the member of the guild?

Here is picture of my little girl in action.
Cheers

DPB
26th November 2003, 10:36 AM
I like your little red rocker, tell me more about it. Timber, finish, how old is the owner…. Are you the member of the guild?

I purchased the rocking horse plans from Gordon's Woodcraft in Canada. http://www.gordonswoodcrafts.com however, I believe the plans originated in the UK.

I gave the horse to my grandson on his 1st birthday, but he is still too small to really enjoy using it.

The timber is Jelutong supplied by Trend Timbers in Sydney.

I would like to make a larger one when I can arrange the time. The Little Red Rock was my first attempt at any sort of project requiring carving, so I started with this which is a simplified carving project.

No, I didn't really see any value in joining the guild.;)

Wongo
26th November 2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by DPB
I purchased the rocking horse plans from Gordon's Woodcraft in Canada. http://www.gordonswoodcrafts.com however, I believe the plans originated in the UK.

I gave the horse to my grandson on his 1st birthday, but he is still too small to really enjoy using it.

The timber is Jelutong supplied by Trend Timbers in Sydney.

I would like to make a larger one when I can arrange the time. The Little Red Rock was my first attempt at any sort of project requiring carving, so I started with this which is a simplified carving project.

No, I didn't really see any value in joining the guild.;)

Yes, 1 yr old is too young for a rocking horse. They (children not the horses) do get frightened by the height and the rocking motion. These rocking horses are recommended for 3+ yrs. (I think 2 yrs is OK, my girl is very tall for a 2 yr old).

It is also my first project requiring carving and we gave it to our daughter at her 2nd birthday. She loves it very much. I am planing to make the large rocking horse when we have more kids.
Scott

oges
27th November 2003, 07:29 AM
Gonna try and make it to the Trend Timbers open day on Dec 6th too