PDA

View Full Version : Weather and Woodwork

wheelinround
22nd December 2007, 01:52 PM
I haven't done a search sorry if this has been brought up previously.

This weather is driving me up the wall.

When I was a young boy dad always said don't work with wood when the weather is wet/raining or to much humidity. This was verified at school in woodwork classes and again at TAFE.

Finishing especially can be adversely effected dulling it, drying time etc.

Tools take on that surface rust faster.

I know today timbers are seasoned better or supposed to be if you buy them already seasoned. Many woodworkers here work green.

I recall one guy at school making a dovetail box in weather like we are having of course after the school break of 2 weeks he went back to find warped timbers dovetails that had gaps you could drive QEII through.:no: not nice binned it

Have any of you had such disasters.

Wild Dingo
23rd December 2007, 12:14 PM
Have any of you had such disasters.

In a word?

Yes :doh:

Christos
27th December 2007, 08:25 AM
I agree that the weather has been bad here in Sydney. It has been raining when I am trying to do things. The truth is that I do not mind. We do need the rain and I would say the more the better in the catchment.

I think that at one stage or another we all have thought of something and made something not quite right.

I have other hobbies and these are also being put on hold as a result of the weather. It just means that I need to read a book than spend time standing at my hobbie. :U

BobL
27th December 2007, 01:10 PM
What about when it's so bloody hot you drip sweat on your tools and work - sweat seems to rust tool steel so quickly you can almost see it happening.

A couple of years ago I was sealing a floor in our attic on a 38oC day (it must have been over 45oC in the Attic!) using some water based floor sealer. I was dripping sweat onto the wood and even when it dried it left slightly darker spots on the wandoo T&G flooring - I didn't have the energy to try to remove them and they remain as proof of the effort involved

Here in Perth it reached 44.3oC yesterday, hottest December day since records began.
At 6 pm in the evening it was still over 39oC outside, and 42oC in my shed.
Usually we don't have this sort of weather until late Jan and Feb!
Definitely no woodwork going on for sure!