PDA

View Full Version : First Lathe

warmtone
22nd December 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm looking for a good entry level lathe in the New Year that will allow me to learn the game..... having read a few threads the Vicmarc lathes seem to be highly regarded but fairly pricey. Where does the JET 1442 fit in the food chain? Seems to be highly regared in the US and at around $1500 much cheaper than even a 15 year old second hand Vicmarc VL 200.!!:oo:

But as always details make the difference but I do not have the knowledge to appreciate where the VicMarc is better???

I would appreciate advice on alternatives to avoid the usual pitfalls of jumping in too quick.

My initial interest is smaller stuff ie spindle turning but don't want to be precluded from the pleasure of turning a bowl!:)

Also any recommendations re wood turning clubs in Melbourne?

A safe and Merry Christmas to All!

rsser
22nd December 2007, 02:39 PM
There's a Teknatool in that Jet price range too. Check out Jim Carroll's website: www.cws.au.com (http://www.cws.au.com)

Re ww/w-turning clubs, what area are you in?

Calm
22nd December 2007, 03:19 PM
The price starts going up once you want variable speed. i.e. if you want a dial to adjust from approx 100 to 3000 rpm. If you are happy to have a lathe that gives 6, 8, or 10 speeds by belt changes or lever moving pulleys then the cost is less.

If you go for a 6, 8, 10 speed then make sure the slowest is no more than 350 to 400 rpm.

I have a Hafco WL180HD which is 900 or 1000 mm bed and 10 speed by lever. The slowest is 500 rpm and that is too fast for an out of balance bowl blank.

Mine is ok - never given any trouble but now i would purchase something else - not sure what though. Ern has a Stubby and that is a beautiful lathe but you pay for it. >$5500

Good luck i'm sure others will give good advice and have an opinion on what is important.

Pat
22nd December 2007, 03:59 PM
I second the Teknatool vote. I have an old TL 1000S, solid as, 300rpm min (AFAIK). Saw a couple on flebay in late November, but alas they're gone. There is a Vicmarc 175 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wood-lathe-Vicmarc-175-SH_W0QQitemZ280185080107QQihZ018QQcategoryZ84012QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), but the start price is still out of reach of many.There is also this MC900 clone (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Professional-wood-lathe-Jepson-Carba-tec-with-stand_W0QQitemZ140191370269QQihZ004QQcategoryZ84012QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). Dunno much about these, but I understand many of the members have similar.

dai sensei
22nd December 2007, 04:44 PM
I've got a Jet1442 and its great. Its perfect for pens and other small stuff as well as bowls up to 380 dia between centers and slightly larger plates in the swivel. I push mine to the limit, the largest lump being 380 dia x 200 green hardwood. Its slowest speed is 300 and even that is too fast for large out of balance work. Sure, I'd prefer a Stubby for the bigger stuff, but I havn't the room at the moment and they aren't cheap.

Personally I always thought the Jet1442 was the top of the poor mans lathe, and near the bottom of the top lathes IMHO.

mick61
22nd December 2007, 11:50 PM
Gday re clubs what area of melbourne Koornung woodturning guild are keen to atract new members. Theres a lot of advice on offer. The club is in nunnawading if that is anywhere near you.
Mick:D

joe greiner
23rd December 2007, 12:48 AM
G'day warmtone.

I've been using a Harbor Freight 34706 (substantially identical to the MC900) for about a year and a half. Both are clones of the Jet 1236 more or less. The only significant demerit of these is the motor protruding into the workspace. SkewChidamn replaced/relocated the motor on his to a better location. Murrican electricity is 60Hz, and my lowest speed is 600rpm vs. 500rpm in Oz (50Hz). Cut your bowl blanks to approximately octagonal with a chain saw to reduce imbalance problems. I also added two 5-gallon buckets of railroad spikes to the shelf. I haven't weighed them, but I wouldn't want to carry one any great distance.

There's an AAW chapter in Moorooduc Plains - about 60km as the crow flies. Go to https://www.woodturner.org/ and boink "AAW Local Chapters" in the menu on the left-hand side of the page, then proceed to "Victoria" for contact information.

Joe

worzi
23rd December 2007, 02:14 AM
Amazon sells the Jet 1442 for 899.00 with free shipping. It comes in 2 boxes, well packed and runs tru straight out of the box (some assembly required). For that price you cant beat it. The 1600 series runs 1500 on amazon (again free shipping). If you can afford it, I'd go with that one.

My first lathe, was the cheapest thing I could find (75 bucks). I figured it was a decent investment since I did'nt know if I'd like the hobby or not. 18 months later I bought the jet 1442 (from amazon). I have a series of names for the first one (but it sounds like I have terrets when I say it). If nothing else it made me really appreciate all the features of the Jet.

Oh by the way, I'm new to these boards, but have been lurking and gleaming tips for a few months...Hi ALL....

rsser
23rd December 2007, 06:00 AM
Hi and welcome Worzi,

Thanks for the tip; but Amazon don't ship tools and machines to Australia though there is a Jet distributor.

Warmtone, here's a list of clubs: http://www.vwa.org.au/list_wclubvic.htm Speak to the contacts about their program.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2007, 10:49 AM
Also any recommendations re wood turning clubs in Melbourne?

Recommendations? :think: Nar. Just find the closest to you... you're more likely to attend if it doesn't take a 2 hour drive to get there (and back.) :U

FWIW, the two "big ones" in Vic are Central WT (Nunawading) and Peninsula WT (Phillip Island). "Big" in terms of club equipment and members. There are quite a few smaller clubs, some of which are by no means second rate.

I guess it depends on what you expect out of the club; mine (Maroondah WT) suits me right down to the ground as with 30(ish) members it's not overly small but still "nice and cozy" as it were... even the more idiosyncratic are welcomed. :roll:

PenTurner
23rd December 2007, 12:08 PM
If you are in the Knox area, Knox woodworking is in Ferntree Gully.Amos:)

warmtone
1st January 2008, 09:48 PM
There's a Teknatool in that Jet price range too. Check out Jim Carroll's website: www.cws.au.com (http://www.cws.au.com)

Re ww/w-turning clubs, what area are you in?

Hi Ern, after being distracted by what looked like a "bargain" 2 year old JET 1236 on eBAY - (that ended up at nearly 600 bucks) I'm back on the straight and narrow!

The new Teknatool Nova 1624-42 has received good press from taunton.com........ and came out with a firm recommendation as a"Best Buy".

The specs are impressive and it does seem to offer good flexibility for both spindle and bowl turning....... I have doubts about the stability of the lightweight base as it did not fair so well in the stability stakes in the above review........

I would be most interested in hearing from anyone who has used this machine:2tsup:

PS I live in Ivanhoe

Jim Carroll
2nd January 2008, 10:08 AM
When they do these tests they do not bolt them down.
There is provision for all lathes to be bolted down to the floor, so increasing stability.

At the Shepparton and Ballarat shows last year we had Tim Skilton demonstrating the woodcut bowlsaver on the N1624 lathe and had no problems. Just pick the right speed to get everything in balance and go from there.

rsser
2nd January 2008, 11:10 AM
Yep.

Lotsa folk have been delighted with theirs. Seems a good lathe for a good price and the local backup is excellent.

lubbing5cherubs
2nd January 2008, 07:57 PM
yep I love my nova
1624-She is beautiful. I just wished that I had the knowledge to get more from her. WEll I knew she was a learning curve but I am up to the challenge
Toni

warmtone
3rd January 2008, 09:33 PM
yep I love my nova
1624-She is beautiful. I just wished that I had the knowledge to get more from her. WEll I knew she was a learning curve but I am up to the challenge
Toni

Hi Tony, thanks for the encouragement - Had a look at your web site and I was most impressed with your beautifully crafted pens!

Do you use the Nova 1624 for this work or a smaller lathe?

funkychicken
3rd January 2008, 10:17 PM
Hi Ern, after being distracted by what looked like a "bargain" 2 year old JET 1236 on eBAY - (that ended up at nearly 600 bucks) I'm back on the straight and narrow!

I too was "distracted", but $581 = $130 made me decide against it

lubbing5cherubs
3rd January 2008, 11:16 PM
Hi Tony, thanks for the encouragement - Had a look at your web site and I was most impressed with your beautifully crafted pens!

Do you use the Nova 1624 for this work or a smaller lathe?

YEP Sure do
Toni

Ozartisan
4th January 2008, 08:51 AM
Hi warmtone
I am a fan of the Nova lathes as a good, general purpose, reasonably priced lathe.
As an indication, I am putting 1624's & DVR's in as lathes for students to use in our woodturning workshops.
I personally feel the DVR is worth the extra money, but nothing wrong with the 1624 either.
Whatever you end up with, just make sure it is supported well - plenty of weight in the stand, or bolt to the floor.
Good luck & happy turning.
Peter
Ozartisan

wheelinround
4th January 2008, 09:04 AM
Like the sound of this http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/1624/Nova%20_1624.htm

no price as usual

Richard Findley
4th January 2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Warmtone,

I might be a little late on this one but I've got a Jet 1442 and I love it. I am a semi pro woodturner so it gets a good bit of use turning everything from bowls to walking canes to furniture parts.

I've used Nova lathes when I have done demos at variour clubs around the UK and I've not been that impressed, give me my Jet any day! Over here the Jet retails about £850 and the Nova (with elec speed control) over £1500 so no comparison!

Hope this helps:2tsup:,

Richard

P.S some pics may help you make up your mind...

Sawdust Maker
14th January 2008, 04:45 PM
Richard

what type of timber is the bowl, pretty please?

and I'll have to disagree on the machine - I'm very happy with my Nova
I have the cast iron stand - which no doubt helps with stability:)