PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Australia

spokeshave
22nd December 2007, 09:59 PM
Recently seen an advert on SBS (and on thier website) requesting people apply for positions for an upcoming Australian version of Top Gear.

I think an Oz version of this show would be fantastic. Many have tried to make car shows here but most have failed and dissappeared fairly quickly.

I watch Top Gear religiously when it's on and have loved every episode. I think a show with a similar format but with more relevent cars to us aussies would be great.

If they find the right presenters and it doesn't become a Ford v Holden thing (even if Fords are better) i'll be watching.

Can't wait!!!!!:2tsup:

Steven.

wheelinround
23rd December 2007, 09:11 AM
Your right on the fact of it becoming Ford Vs Holden thats what killed the other shows unfortunatley we don't get the variety of vehicles they do OS.

I have tried to consider who'd be great to host the Aussie version since I first found out.

I cant think of anyone, Colin Bond came to mind but they need someone younger (sorry Colin). He could play the part of Jeremy just a shorter version :D
Have a tall Hammond and smart whip type for whats his name.

Harry72
23rd December 2007, 08:38 PM
We could have Grant Denyer(spelling?)as the hampster, he'd suit the part well plus he is a car lover and can drive very well!

How about the golden voice as Jeremy, they are just as opinionated as each other... and James who knows ?

I like how on the ad they say there's no ozzy designed and built factory performance car... they joke about the XR8... they forget about the XR6turbo and the SV6 commodore!

Ivan in Oz
23rd December 2007, 08:46 PM
I like how on the ad they say there's no ozzy designed and built factory performance car...!

Harry,
What about the era when you were born?:rolleyes:
We had the Worlds fastest Production 4 Door:2tsup:

Clinton1
23rd December 2007, 09:57 PM
Last nights Top Gear was spectacular.... I'll put my hand up for any postion... I do a grumpy bastard very well, but also the suave gentleman... :rolleyes:

Harry72
24th December 2007, 11:02 PM
Harry,
What about the era when you were born?:rolleyes:
We had the Worlds fastest Production 4 Door:2tsup:
Yes but it use's an American drive train... just like the XR8, the XR6 motor is the only oz ford motor!

Chris Parks
26th December 2007, 10:09 AM
I wonder what drives these decisions in TV land. How anyone could expect a knock off show not to be compared to the original and be successful beats me. Anyone who is successful in being selected as presenters will be on a hiding to nothing. We do have the cars, nearly all the cars on TG are imports to the UK as they are here. Not many domestic UK stuff is shown and it would be same here. It just amazes me that someone thinks we even need an Ozzie version.

tea lady
26th December 2007, 11:36 AM
The worst thing about the prospect of an Aussie version would be that they'd start taking it all so seriously. The british are just having so much fun and very dry with their humor. Nobody actually cares which car is the best. Any comparable Aussie comedian would be just too ladish. Maybe if they did is comparing bomby old cars all held together with chewing gum and sticky tape. Like that show someone did about how bush mechanics kept their cares going with no access to actual spare parts. Just sticks and fencing wire. Or old VW combies with hippy paint jobs against a beach buggy, or some other home made creation.

Harry72
26th December 2007, 06:37 PM
I think you will find it will be a single show special not an Oz series...

JackoH
27th December 2007, 08:15 AM
I hear it's going to be a series and John Burns (3AW morning show) will host.

commodorenut
27th December 2007, 02:48 PM
Apart from the car knowledge, I think a good host would be Tom Gleisner, or even Glenn Robbins.

Both would add fantastic humour to an Aussie version.

prozac
22nd January 2008, 09:12 PM
Sh@t no. They get too much attention as it is.

I thought that they were advertising for people to audition. Someone straight from the 'burbs with some automotive cred and great disposition. Let's hope they get the laconic Aussie common man with a dry sense of humour and real mechanical or driving nouse.

prozac