PDA

View Full Version : Home made router bases

Woodlee
23rd December 2007, 11:09 PM
I've been busy making a new bases and adaptors for my 3600BR Makita router ,so I can use template guides .
I bought the router second hand and only got the fence ,and one spanner with it.
Not sure if this model came with template guides or adaptor anyway .
So after a bit of looking around and some inspiration from Template Tom I decided to make my own.

I still need to get some portercable type guides and bore the hole and the recess into the base .
Although I have the material and the lathe ,Carbatec have the porter cable style guides in a set of 10 for around 40.00 so it's not worth machining up my own.

Pics are ,
Complete new base made from 3/8" cast acrylic sheet .
Original base plate with three acrylic adaptors.

Pusser
23rd December 2007, 11:54 PM
I think it came with one guide which allowed you to use the supplied 1/2 inch bit with a template. It is not like the porter cable ones as it did not have a separate carrier - the guide is on a plate which screws into the two holes in the base. It may not have been supplied with the router but I have one and cannot remember buying it separately.

Nice bases.

damienhazo
24th December 2007, 12:22 AM
You might try machining up an adapter like the Metabo 1812 or the Felisatti. They utilise the two screws in the base plate for the mounting of an adapter which in turn allows the attachment of guide bushes designed for the medium-sized routers. No need for a new base-plate, rather the acquisition of the bush holder/adapter (or making one).

Nice base-plate. If you were to use it to directly mount the bushes I think you're talking about, you will have to recess the thickness of the bush though - and quite possibly a little bit more. The screws might not sit perfectly flush and you don't want to be over tightening in plastic...

Damien

Woodlee
24th December 2007, 01:37 AM
You might try machining up an adapter like the Metabo 1812 or the Felisatti. They utilise the two screws in the base plate for the mounting of an adapter which in turn allows the attachment of guide bushes designed for the medium-sized routers. No need for a new base-plate, rather the acquisition of the bush holder/adapter (or making one).

Nice base-plate. If you were to use it to directly mount the bushes I think you're talking about, you will have to recess the thickness of the bush though - and quite possibly a little bit more. The screws might not sit perfectly flush and you don't want to be over tightening in plastic...

Damien

Damien ,
The second pic shows some adaptors I made to fit inside the original base ,they are held in by the two screws that I assume hold the original template guide adaptor.

The type of template guides I'll be using have a ring which screws onto the threaded part of the guide that protrudes through the base .The guide has a 1- 3/16" thread nd a 1- 3/8" flange which has to be counter bored into the bottom face of the base.
I haven't done this yet ,I'm waiting for the guides so I can get the correct dimensions.
This acrylic is very tough its not like perspex .

I basically got the idea from the V*ritas ,aftermarket base.At this link,
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=47162&cat=1,43000,51208&ap=1

Kev.

Template Tom
25th December 2007, 02:57 PM
Template Guides are readily available for your router from Makita stockists. The one supplied with the router was 16mm which was very limited in what can be done, there is a need to have larger size guides.

Woodlee, I would not recommend Porter Cable guides as they are limited in size and therefore restrict the size of the largest cutter that can be used. Stick to the Makita as they have a 40mm guide. Which in my opinion is the most important size to have. I usually make all my templates using the 40 guide whenever I can for a number of reasons.
Tom

Woodlee
25th December 2007, 10:17 PM
Template Guides are readily available for your router from Makita stockists. The one supplied with the router was 16mm which was very limited in what can be done, there is a need to have larger size guides.

Woodlee, I would not recommend Porter Cable guides as they are limited in size and therefore restrict the size of the largest cutter that can be used. Stick to the Makita as they have a 40mm guide. Which in my opinion is the most important size to have. I usually make all my templates using the 40 guide whenever I can for a number of reasons.
Tom

Tom ,
I was going to purchase this set of bushes in the New Year ,I didn't want to be restricted to one size bush .I can easily make another base for a 40mm bush .

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=220_9960_10000_10001

My local Makita stockist is M10 , there is not one woodworker amongst them ,I reckon I would be bashing my head up against the wall trying to explain what I want.
A search in the Makita website results in nothing for the 3600BR ,template guides don't either.
Nearest Makita shop is Darwin 320Klms away.

Kev.

Template Tom
25th December 2007, 11:42 PM
Tom ,
I was going to purchase this set of bushes in the New Year ,I didn't want to be restricted to one size bush .I can easily make another base for a 40mm bush .

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=220_9960_10000_10001

My local Makita stockist is M10 , there is not one woodworker amongst them ,I reckon I would be bashing my head up against the wall trying to explain what I want.
A search in the Makita website results in nothing for the 3600BR ,template guides don't either.
Nearest Makita shop is Darwin 320Klms away.

Kev.

Kev

One of the problems with the porter Cable set is they are in Imperial and not metric. Makita do have a range of different sizes and there is no need for a an adaptor to fit them. The same guides for the 3612 and rhe 3612C will fit your router.

Tom

Woodlee
26th December 2007, 12:34 AM
Kev

One of the problems with the porter Cable set is they are in Imperial and not metric. Makita do have a range of different sizes and there is no need for a an adaptor to fit them. The same guides for the 3612 and rhe 3612C will fit your router.

Tom

Tom ,
Thanks for that piece of info .
I 'll have to wait until I can call the Makita shop in Darwin to see what is availble.

I do have the facilities and plenty of material to machine up guide bushes ,so once I get one I can make what ever size I want.
Do they attach by way of the two screws inside the hole in the base as indicated in the attached image?

NCArcher
26th December 2007, 01:49 AM
Woodlee, yes they sit on the recessed shelf inside the hole and the two screws are tightened onto the plate. I have several sizes for my 3600BR. I ordered them from a Makita shop a couple of years ago. I think they were around $20 each maybe a bit less.
I can take some photos if you would like to get an idea of how they fit.

Tony

Template Tom
26th December 2007, 08:10 AM
Kev

Correct and if you have any problems finding a 40mm guide I will forward one to you.
Tom

Woodlee
26th December 2007, 01:30 PM
Kev

Correct and if you have any problems finding a 40mm guide I will forward one to you.
Tom

Thanks Tom .
I can machine one of those up easily ,I have some aircraft grade alloy that will do the job nicely .
If you look at my initial post ,the second picture shows three acrylic adaptors I made that fit in exactly as the bush in your picture.
It will be easy to make a bush from aluminium alloy or brass.

Kev.

chrisb691
26th December 2007, 02:54 PM
<snip>........... I usually make all my templates using the 40 guide whenever I can for a number of reasons.
Tom
Hi Tom,

Can you explain some of the reasons, for the importance of the 40mm.

Thanks,

Template Tom
27th December 2007, 10:38 PM
Hi Tom,

Can you explain some of the reasons, for the importance of the 40mm.

Thanks,

1 A greater number of cutters can be used

2 The cutter can be seen more readily when in use

3 There will be less chance of the cutter overheating as there is more room for the swarf to dissipate

4. The chuck will fit through the guide to give you maximum depth especially when using 1/4" cutters