PDA

View Full Version : Proper adhesive

Hickory
26th December 2007, 05:43 AM
Although I am not a Boat builder, I am working on building a Wood Car (Actually it is a restoration of a 1912 Model T Ford Towncar) I will be glueing a steam bent shell onto the framwork I have constructed. For this I need a strong adhesive that will "weather the storm" so to speak and resist the constant vibrations the old car will be eminating as it drives along. There will be temperature variances from extreem heat in the summer to icy cold in the winter.

Have you and good suggestions?

Another application I need is the wood trim, 3/16" thick X 3/4" wide accent strips to glue along and bend to the convexes of the sides. I prefer not to use brads to hold the strips as over time I fear the holes will pop or dimple as metal reacts differently than wood , etc. I was hoping for a CA based glue that will stand the test of time and all the climate variances as discribed for the other adhesives.

I graciously await your responses....

Merry Christmas

echnidna
27th December 2007, 07:46 PM
I'd use a marine glue like say resorcinol etc

jmk89
27th December 2007, 08:27 PM
I'd use a marine glue like say resorcinol etc

I agree, except that I would use epoxy - West System (if I were in the USA) or BoteCote (in Oz). Then you can not only have waterproof joints but also encapsulate the wooden structure in a waterproof shield.

The reasons why and a whole lot of other useful stuff can be found on Michael Storer's website (http://www.storerboatplans.com/Faq/faqindex.html). Michael is not only one of the leading designers of homebuilt boats in Australia, but also a member of these Forums (username: Boatmik).

Best of luck

hairymick
27th December 2007, 10:29 PM
I would also use quality epoxy for the same reasons as mentioned above. beautiful stuff!!:2tsup:

Boatmik
28th December 2007, 12:52 AM
The epoxy encapsulation is the trick - it will stabilise the timber so it won't crack the epoxy or whatever you decide to paint or varnish it with. If it never will see sun then it could be left as the epoxy surface.

You need three coats - my website as suggested gives info on using the wet-on-wet application.

Any screws or fastenings that go into the timber should have the holes precoated with epoxy (pipecleaner) and the fastening dipped in the stuff too - to prevent moisture getting in that way.

Best wishes
Michael