PDA

View Full Version : Two BB modems on one phone line

Grahame Collins
27th December 2007, 12:55 PM
Hi guys
Our son has just come back to stay with us and has a desktop computer with Pigpond b/band connection.

It possible to use 2 broadband modems from different providers into the one telephone socket?

Mine is Westnet broadband modem.
Thanks

Grahame

blackhole
27th December 2007, 01:05 PM
no

use one then share with a hub or router

Grahame Collins
27th December 2007, 03:01 PM
Hi
Thanks blackhole for your reply.
I have just checked and found I am already running a router.( Is that what it's called ? DUH!)
It is a iConnectAcess624 4 port ADSL, ADSL 2/2+ router.

I assume the particular port needs programming to connect to Bigpond but am unsure how to go about the process.

Apart from the obvious in plugging the connection into one of the three remaining ports, can anybody advise on what do next.
Thanks
Grahame

Cliff Rogers
27th December 2007, 03:14 PM
You don't have to re-program anything, just connect your son's PC to your router via a hub, once his computer can see your router, it will be able to find the Internet & once it is on the Internet, he will be able to pick up his mail from the Bigpond mailserver.

He won't be using his account for anything other than his e-mail, instead, he will be using your account for the actual physical connection to the Internet so, if he is the type that downloads HEAPS, make sure you don't have a limited account or he could be running up your bill.

If you router has more than one RJ45 port, it is easy, if it doesn't, you will need a hub.( also called a switch)
You plug it into the RJ45 (LAN) port on the router & then you plug your PCs into it.

banhien
31st December 2007, 02:23 PM
He won't be using his account for anything other than his e-mail, instead, he will be using your account for the actual physical connection to the Internet so, if he is the type that downloads HEAPS, make sure you don't have a limited account or he could be running up your bill.
Probably you and your son have locked into some sorts of contracts - If you could cancel one then cancel it and put more money into another one to have more quota.

Other option is swap the connection every fornight, it's a bit un-pleasant but to use the money paid for.

BH

Cliff Rogers
2nd January 2008, 10:25 AM
...Other option is swap the connection every fornight, ....
How do you do that with ADSL???? :?

Barry_White
2nd January 2008, 10:39 AM
How do you do that with ADSL???? :?

I'm no expert on ADSL but if they have two separate modems couldn't they just swap the modems over each fortnight.

Cliff Rogers
2nd January 2008, 10:56 AM
The modems yes, but not the ADSL accounts, they have to be linked from the ISP to the phone number & you can't have 2 different ISPs linked to the same physical telephone connection at the same time. (As far as I know)

Grahame Collins
2nd January 2008, 02:44 PM
The modems yes, but not the ADSL accounts, they have to be linked from the ISP to the phone number & you can't have 2 different ISPs linked to the same physical telephone connection at the same time. (As far as I know)

Thanks Cliff

Ah! ha
thats what I was trying to ask.. buggered If I am putting in another phone line for him then.
Grahame

blackhole
2nd January 2008, 03:57 PM
The computer that is freeloading (ie. pluged into the extra port in the router) will have to change their outgoing mail server or use web mail.

If you try and send mail using westnet's mail server from a bigpond connection (or vice visa) then they will thing you are a nasty spamer.

Cliff Rogers
4th January 2008, 11:45 AM
Nah, the Pigpond mailserver will let you send even if you are connected via Westnet, I do it all the time at work.

Grahame Collins
6th January 2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks Cliff,
I will run an extension to the room we are doing up for him.

Grahame