PDA

View Full Version : advice for newbie starting building workshop

aobed
27th November 2003, 10:47 PM
Hi there,

Firstly, thanks to the organizers of this forum, it's a fantastic place for people like me - just starting out - to learn from all those seasoned veterans out there.

My question is this, I would like to setup a workshop for basic cabinet making and I'm starting from scratch. My definition of basic cabinet making is the occasional bookshelf, coffee table, etc. Nothing too adventureous.. well, at this stage anyway .

My budget is approximately $1200 with which I'm hoping to get a set of tools that will get me started.

Aside from chisels, clamps, saws, etc and a workbench the two power tools that have been suggest to me are a Slide Compound Saw and a basic router + bits.

I've looked at the Makita 7.5" for the slide compound saw and an axminster 1/2" router. I'm also thinking about investing in a dove tail jig of some description.

The last time I did any woodworking was in high school and while this was only a few years ago, all of the joins we made were by hand - so it was a revelation to see that all of the jigs, etc available for use with routers. I'm sure a few people out there will find that amusing :).

I'm attending a few courses at a local tafe here in Queensland to update me the skills, tools available - so between them and you guys I'm hoping to have enough knowledge to get out there, buy and get started :).

I'm interested to hear people's opinions.. I realise this is a super general question given the amount of tools available out there... it's a bit overwhelming really!

Thanks for any advice...

DaveInOz
28th November 2003, 09:44 AM
Welcome aboard :)

I'm, by most standards still a beginner myself, but I wonder why you would want a SCM saw for cabinet making. I would have thought the main aim would be to be able to deal with panels.

Given your budget I personaly think you couldn't go past a second hand triton setup with a sliding extention table and router table top.
This will allow cross cut of panels, and frames, ripping, and work as a router table.
In the trading post or in 'our' sale section there are always tritons for sale with extra goodies cheap enough to allow you to get a good quality saw and router to hang in it.
Some people grow out of the triton as their demands and budget change (hence the suppy of second hand units) - some never do.

derekcohen
28th November 2003, 02:01 PM
aobed

I think Dave has given you very good advice.

One point I would like to make is that you should not be so quick to exchange your hand made jointing skills for router made strategies. I'm not meaning to imply that the router made ones are inferior, just that many, many woodworkers strive for years to develop hand skills, and they are the very essence of the cabinet maker's art in my book. Look to spending on some good chisels (the blue Marples are an excellent budget set), a couple of Japanese saws (usually about $40-50 each), and a block plane (at least - you may want to get a smoother as well. Buy these secondhand and tune them up) in your budget. These do not need to set you back more than about $150-200 total.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Steve_DownUnder
28th November 2003, 03:55 PM
Howdy all,

Not meaning to hijack the thread but further to the topic of setting up and using/buying second hand tools does anyone know of any good second hand shops for such things as chisels, hand planes etc ??

thnaks

steve

derekcohen
28th November 2003, 04:30 PM
Steve

eBay.com.au

Derek

Steve_DownUnder
1st December 2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks Derek, never really had much luck or perhaps there just hasnt been anything on when I have looked !

Anyone know of any second hand dealers ?

Thanks Steve