PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for coffee table legs

Afro Boy
28th December 2007, 07:20 PM
Hi folks,

I have a nice piece of Huon pine which I'm just getting back to sanding (then polishing, etc.) Am planning to turn it into a coffee table.

Am undecided on what form the legs should take. I don't want to take the focus away from the huon so want something quite simple.

Keen for any ideas anyone has.

http://www.carljoseph.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/huon-11.jpg

Thanks,
Af.

RufflyRustic
28th December 2007, 08:16 PM
Legs? My first thought was something curved to match the curve of the edges.

Have a look at the latest Australian Woodsmith, front cover, bottom LHS. They are the curves I'm talking about. Definitely not as spindly though.

You could have a three prong curve on the end that is split into three and maybe a matching set on the other end, or, or, something else :)

cheers
Wendy

Ray153
28th December 2007, 08:20 PM
My first thoughts are to cut across the slab parallel to the existing end just shy of the split at the opposite end. This will give you a rectangular slab. I would then use the off cuts as your legs, leaving the waney edges intact. The split could well prove to be a concern, is it likely to develop further, if so, you might need to consider putting a butterfly key in across the split to try and prevent or minimise further splitting. Is the grain fairly bland or is there any features such as birdeyes in the grain? Either way, I would break up the blandness or complement the birdseyeing with a strongly contrasting timber such as walnut or jarrah. Blackwood would be another good choice.

To fix them to the top, I would go with a mortice and tenon type of fixing where the tenons come up through the top of the slab and finish flush with the top. You would need two tenons on the top of each leg to prevent the legs from twisting out of position.

The top would then just be sitting in the top of the legs, no need for glue which might well prove problematic given the natural oilyness of Huon and the alignment of end grain to long grain at the joint.

You will have in effect a three legged coffee table. The offcut with the split in it, I would try and encourage the split all the way along to turn that piece of the slab into two pieces and just cut the ends of the legs square and even.

The weight of the slab should be enough that the table will remain stable even though it has only three legs. The trick will be to space the two legs at one end far enough apart to make as large a triangle as you can. The three legs should all be running at right angles to the width of the top or parrallel to the ends.

It might assist others in coming up with ideas if you can give a rough guide to the dimensions of the slab, l x w x d and an idea of your skill levels and what sort of tools/machinery you have available.

Have to ask, where did you manage to get your sticky mitts on such a wonderful piece of timber?

weisyboy
28th December 2007, 08:28 PM
i would use a single elongated leg. a nice houn slab would do nicely or a nother timber that will either contrast or match.:2tsup:

Afro Boy
28th December 2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas folks. Very useful to get my brain thinking.

Overall length is 1,100mm. Width at the straight edge is 400mm and 600mm at the widest point just before the splits.

I also have a plank of huon which is 850 x 300 (20mm thick) - natural edge on both sides. I can easily use this for the legs as I'd like to keep those splits if possible (butterfly key is a great idea, although it's pretty well dried/stable now).

Skill level: Novice - Amatuer. Reasonably comfortable although I do need detailed guidance as I don't quite know all the lingo yet. I'm nervous about wrecking this beautiful piece so am comfortable waiting until I've had more practice at stuff.

Tools: Your usual drill, saw, etc. Just purchased a Festool RO 150 FEQ which I'll use to polish this up (was going to do it by hand originally!) Happy to purchase other tools as necessary.

Thanks,
Af.

Ray, I got this piece at the mill in Strahan (Tassie). I saw it and just had to have it. Literally had to leave some luggage behind to get this into the car!

Afro Boy
28th December 2007, 08:53 PM
Weisyboy, I like the simplicity of your idea too. Although, not exactly sure what you mean.

How would a single piece hold the table up? A picture/sketch or something might help me get this through my head!

weisyboy
28th December 2007, 09:21 PM
HERE ARE 2 WAYS

the first i do on mostt of my slab tables.

and the second is what i was sugesting for yours

i would leave the splits on if at all posible thats what makes it beutifull

Afro Boy
28th December 2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for that Weisyboy. I think I understand now. A plank of timbre on it's side run length ways underneath the top. Then a "foot" on each end of that to hold it steady. Am not sure if that would be sturdy enough. The slab is pretty heavy and it may topple or twist off the supporting plan if it isn't super wide. Perhaps I still haven't quite got it! (entirely possible :doh:)

Have been doing some searching and came up with the following designs which might also work...
An idea (http://www.ragoarts.com/onlinecats/10.06MOD/0017.jpg)
Similar idea (http://www.ragoarts.com/onlinecats/10.04mod/0016.jpg)

Not sure if that would be sturdy enough either. I might need two points at the split end forming a 'V' type shape.

Would those legs above be connected with a hidden mortise/tenon joint?

Thanks again,
Af.

artme
29th December 2007, 12:33 AM
G'day curly headed one. As you can see there are as many solutions as people answering you plea. I like the Ideas of Weisyboy and Watson, but for you level of skill and experience I see Weisyboy's option as beig better.

Some years ago I made a natural edge table from 2 slabs of King Billy Pine ( first cousin of Huon ). I don't have photographic facilities at present, and cn'a draw and post pictures or plans until my son gives me a hand.

Whatever you do hasten slowly as I think most of us would kill for that slab and woul not want you to botch it.

Best of luck.:2tsup::2tsup:

Afro Boy
29th December 2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. Will definitely be working very very slowly on this one. Already had the slab since last January and just getting started on it now. Want to make sure I have the right skills and experience first.

weisyboy
29th December 2007, 08:31 AM
gday

the second picture with the single peice on its edge i have used to suppert ironbark dining tables that it takes 4 people to lift.

you can also put a peice crossways at the top of the leg to help support the table if you think it requires it. (simalar to the foot):2tsup:

i like the desighn in the first pic you posted but with somutck resting on the ground if the floor was not totaly flat and smoth it would be unstable.

Ivan in Oz
29th December 2007, 09:12 AM
Af, others,

I could see it being used quite differently,
AND
being protected.

Under Glass...............................:oo:

Use the HP as the Support,
either, in ONE piece with Other Timber giving the required Stability;

OR

Cut it to suit.
Then place a Sheet of glass on the supporting frame.

Wullah!!!
There for everyone to see,
and has a degree of Protection.

Yes. Of course the timber has been stained and finished to however:2tsup:

underused
29th December 2007, 01:02 PM
Do a google search "george nakashima"
he has done some fine work with slabs:2tsup: