PDA

View Full Version : inconsistant box joints

chauglie
29th December 2007, 09:30 AM
Using my table saw to make 1/8" box joints some turn out fantastic and others are loose ... I'm sure the jig is fine, my fence is stable, pieces clamped securely to a sled, and I'm cutting all 4 sides at the same time -- any hints as to where else to look? Thanks!

scooter
29th December 2007, 12:47 PM
Arbor float on the saw?

chauglie
29th December 2007, 12:53 PM
Arbor float on the saw?

Very interesting thought ... but checked, seems solid as a rock. To clarify, when I do this some entire boxes come out fine and other entire boxes don't so I really think it's me -- I just can't nail it down .... thanks for your input however !!

ch

chauglie
30th December 2007, 04:37 PM
Very interesting thought ... but checked, seems solid as a rock. To clarify, when I do this some entire boxes come out fine and other entire boxes don't so I really think it's me -- I just can't nail it down .... thanks for your input however !!

ch

I have found that my tablesaw blade insert was a little low causing the wood to dip ever so slightly as it passed the blade. I also discovered a slight bow in my fence. Between adjusting these two items consistancy has improved about 80%. Being a perfectionist, I'm still working on it!

Stuart
30th December 2007, 08:22 PM
With Incra, you really have to be - no faulting the system but given its accuracy, it sure shows up any weaknesses in your setup!

les88
31st December 2007, 07:05 AM
If your jig is accurate the only thing that I can think of is the blade. It may buckle when hot
les

chauglie
31st December 2007, 11:02 AM
If your jig is accurate the only thing that I can think of is the blade. It may buckle when hot
les

And you found the culprit -- it was the blade. Even though I was using a very good quality dado blade -- it really was NOT EXACTLY 1/8" of an inch as advertised! I switched to one of the chipper blades that only has 6 teeth and while the cutting is slower, it was dead on! Lesson is don't believe everything you read!! Now the glue helps the pieces slide together instead of trying to fill gaps!

Thanks for your input! This has been quite a learning experince for me!