View Full Version : rings

wheelinround
29th December 2007, 02:59 PM
set of 8 napkin rings
tried to get these done for christmas so will be birthday present for SIL
didn't due to one snapping glued with epoxy

Made from a branch pic 1 a formite said it was spotted gum

used 15mm forstner bit approx 18mm outside diam

3 coats of Danish Oil soaked in it over night as it would drain straight through timber
Finished with a wax polish after sanding to 600 final with steel wool

DJ’s Timber
29th December 2007, 03:36 PM
Nice one Wheelin :2tsup:, shame you couldn't get them done for Xmas :doh:

artme
29th December 2007, 04:55 PM
Good work! ( and good stuph to practice on I'll warrant. ):):D

Harry72
29th December 2007, 07:27 PM
How were they done, made a tube then part them off?

Nice work BTW

wheelinround
30th December 2007, 08:36 AM
Artme it was brilliant a branch that other wise would have ended up in FIL's fire pile it wasn't much longer than the amount of rings thats there no waste. Peeled away beautifully that was with crap chisels sharp though.

Harry pretty much that rounded the branch between centres, shaped then mounted into Nova 3G chuck while mounting drill chuck into tailstock with Forstner bit drilled one at a time a parted them off with my hacksaw blade :2tsup: low speed sanded each end as I went. Drop the speed to low when drilling and slow progression.

I have a dowel piece I could slide each one back onto to do final sand and polish a slight tight fit between centres or in chuck.

I got the idea from a set my Aunt had many years ago when I was a teenager a wood tuner at her work made them.

OGYT
30th December 2007, 04:10 PM
Really well done... and the manner of makin' them is "perty slick" I might add. And a good idea for that "What-do-you-make-on-your-lathe" thread. :U

wheelinround
31st December 2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks DJ, artme, Harry, OGYT

It was fun reaching for the power board to turn the lathe off each time to check etc. New switch is on its way.

Simomatra
31st December 2007, 10:08 AM
Looking good like the timber