PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Valley to Sydney - NOT via F3?

I_wanna_Shed
30th December 2007, 01:33 AM
Hello Everyone,

Will be heading upto the Hunter Valley for 2 nights next week. Is there a way from the Hunter back to Sydney (Carlingford), without the dreaded F3?

I remember finding a route several yeas ago, but can't remember where it was. I came over Mangrove Mountain and crossed the Wiseman's Ferry.

Any tips?

Cheers,
Nathan.

Pat
30th December 2007, 07:16 AM
Putty Road

Black Ned
30th December 2007, 07:55 AM
Wisemans Ferry to Mangrove Mountain -----Then to Nulkaba ---- Then to Wollombi

From Wollombi you can head to Cessnock and the Vineyards

or

From Wollombi tou can head to Broke and then to Singleton

wheelinround
30th December 2007, 09:54 AM
Depending on what your driving riding etc instead of crossing Wisemans Ferry, turn Left head through St Albans the backway to Wollimbi its a nice drive but not for a low slung vehicle.

The old Pacific Hwy through Peats Ridge, Central Mangrove, Kullnura this road joins up with Old Nth Road from St Albans or via Yarramalong,

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=wisemans+ferry&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.379853,151.204834&spn=0.78667,1.233215&z=10&om=1

ss_11000
30th December 2007, 10:52 AM
whats wrong with going on the F3...its much quicker than going the backways and it ends only a couple of km away from carlingford.

I_wanna_Shed
30th December 2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll have a look at each. I went through St Albans a few years ago and that was a nice drive. Unfortunately the 2 cars on this trip won't be suited to the road.

Stirlo, the F3 would be the easiest, but I'd rather take a detour and extend the trip a little (and clowns always end up on freeways, especially this time of the year).

Cheers,
Nathan.

arose62
30th December 2007, 11:49 AM
No problem with "going" on the F3 - it's all the stopping that happens with heaps of holiday traffic, plus the roadworks.

We went down to the inlaws, and stopped just before the Hawkesbury bridge (as did ALL the traffic, both on the F3, and the old road) and didn't get over 20 Km/h until well after the roadworks.

If you're planning on using the F3, it's worth checking the RTA cameras first...

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficreports/northsydcameras/index.html

Cheers,
Andrew

wheelinround
30th December 2007, 03:21 PM
Nathan from where your coming from head the backway all round Northern Rd through Windsor Putty Rd turn onto Broke Rd
Putty Rd is much better then it was nice for sports cars plenty of winding roads just don't ride the centre line. of course there is only bush to see a few stops road with side parks not many loo's.