PDA

View Full Version : FAQ - does a shallow keel improve tracking or upwind performance

Boatmik
30th December 2007, 08:18 AM
Howdy All,

Robhosailer made some statements that open up an interesting discussion.

Michael,
"small dimensioned longitudinal pieces of timber on the outside of the hull over the length of the cockpit" are great idea! They are excellent as stiffeners and they are great for protection of bottom ...and they are taking part similar to centreboard, keel, leeboards and chine runners (bilge runners).

Efficiency in sailing with half rised daggerboard (centre board) will be better thankful of those "small dimensioned..." I think so ...:roll:

Sounds well...???

There are a lot of comments on the net about adding a shallow piece of timber to the bottom of a boat to assist in tracking (in canoes) or upwind performance with centreboard part retracted.

Maybe that shallow keel would be an inch (25mm) or 3/4" (19mm) deep.

Canoes and Paddling
With a canoe, the general thrust of the literature is if you have to consider adding a shallow keel to get more directional stability then the boat has not been designed properly.

It should achieve the required directional stability by shaping the bottoms of the bows with enough fineness (narrowness) to give the boat additional directional stability -they act as a fin at the front and a fin at the back to keep the boat tracking.

My balsa canoe was fairly extreme in this regard but demonstrates the point nicely. It is the ends of a canoe that give it directional stability.

http://www.storerboatplans.com/Balsacanoe/balsa%20stem%20detail%20a.jpg

With a very simplified plywood boat it might be necessary to add an external keel as it might be difficult getting the right shape in the ends.

With my plywood Eureka canoes I worked very hard to get approximate the correct shape in the ends - so they don't need an external batten - but with really simple boat it might be necessary to have a keel batten and/or a skeg at the back.

By the way - if you have fibreglass canoe and it wanders all over the place - it is because the fineness in the ends is the first thing most manufacturers like to get rid of because it is harder to build. There are some good 'glass canoes around (even though most are a lot heavier than properly designed plywood ones) but you can see which ones are good in the showroom by llooking at which have hollowed out ends like the balsa canoe above.

Sea Kayaks are often much more radical in the ends than the balsa canoe.

A good strategy for the depth of the keel required is to making it bigger and deeper than required and plane it down if the directional stability is excessive. The depth of the keel AT THE ENDS OF THE BOAT is where it makes the difference - in the middle it doesn't help much.

Sailboats
Sailboats are different - a deep hollow forefoot on a light boat is asking for trouble. When going down waves the bow tends to bury a bit and the rudder comes out of the water a bit. If the bow is hollow like the balsa canoe it might be able to generate significant steering forces in that situation and the boat will spear off in one direction or another no matter what you do with the rudder.

But back to the point of the discussion.

A shallow batten as we are talking about will have some effect, but because of the higher forces involved in controlling a sailboat (think about steering a canoe at 3 knots or a sailboat at 12 knots) the effect of the batten is so much less than that of the rudder or hullshape it is diminishingly small.

It won't provide any useful effect in either directional stability or help the boat go up to windward with the centreboard retracted.

As it gets deeper it is much more effective.

But the problem is the opposite of the canoe. If the keel is the length of the boat and has some depth - eg a foot of depth on a 16ft boat - it will add so much directional stability the boat might become a poor at changing direction - sluggish on the helm and perhaps start failing to tack correctly without losing all speed during the turn. So the tendency is for keels to get shorter and deeper for sailboats to retain adequate manoeuvrability - but it was also found that this improves performance substantially

Some directional stability is useful - and a medium length and deeper keel can be useful for that - but it is possible to control directional stability using hullshape and volume distribution and use very narrow deep centreboards or keels and still get reasonable or good directional stability without a long keel.

Now with the example of Roberts - we are looking at putting some battens on the outside of the bottom of the boat to reduce flex of the bottom. I don't expect them to have much effect in upwind performance at all.

At one stage I sailed a Heron class dinghy that had bottom skid of the type we are talking about - it didn't seem to make much difference.

One of the biggest determinants of good upwind performance is depth of the centreboard or keel. Many traditional looking boats have very poor upwind performance for just this reason - inadequate lateral plane or depth.

Beth - the boat we are talking about here was very poor with the original centreboard - which had an in-water depth of around 2ft 4" - upwind performance was very poor.

I built a slightly longer board - just under 3ft below the bottom of the boat - and performance jumped dramatically - so it went from just feeling slushy and vague and not having performance comparable to even the poorest performing conventional racing classes to suddenly having enough pace to match Lasers around a racecourse.

This sort of speed can be fobbed off by some as being unimportant - but it means the boat can cover real distance in adverse conditions with little effort. Important for safety and an increased cruising range.

BUT - if you sail habitually in REALLY shallow water and having even a foot deep centreboard or keel means you can't go sailing - then it is well worth exploring the options of very shallow long keels.

Best wishes

Michael Storer

hairymick
30th December 2007, 10:32 PM
Michael,
A comprehensive and very well thought out piece. Thank you.

You have answered a lot of questions for me - in this one post.:2tsup:

Boatmik
31st December 2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for that Mick,

My thoughts are that I'll post more articles of this type and look forward to people making comments - favourable or otherwise. Any good bits I will add to the original post (with appropriate credits)

Glad it was useful for you!

Best wishes
MIK

robhosailor
31st December 2007, 03:16 AM
I'm not wanted to brawl :;:;:;

My experience with skid:
Our first boat (see picture)
http://www.robert_hoffman.republika.pl/userfiles/Nasza_stara_lodka01.jpg

had skid. Se was almost flat bottomed boat. She was unmatched on shallow waters in low and moderate wind. She be able to tack with no centre plate and with half retracted centre plate!!! My conviction of skids taking part in upwind performance dates from there. My brother who is experienced sailor and DPh of phisics says the same! He is able to put you phisics theory of it.:;

Better shallow (low aspect ratio) keel than nothing! :;:;:;

In strong winds with rough water she turned on waves. Our (Your and mine) experiences are similar. Bottom without skids is beter for seaworthness.

Boatmik
1st January 2008, 01:36 AM
Howdy Robert,

I've sailed the same types of boats with and without bottom skids - they really don't make a lot of difference at least in the PDRacers and the Heron classes.

The skill of the sailor can make a big difference though - and the type of boat can as well.

Chines and bottom skids do make some difference too - but in my experience it is pretty tiny. Maybe comparable to having a couple of inches of centreboard down. With a swinging centreboard you do notice a big change in handling as soon as there is 4 or 6" of centreboard poking out of the hull the boat starts to "want" to go upwind rather than it being a bit tricky.

Your point about the physics is right - but finding the quantity of difference is very difficult - and even more so with shallow foils (extremely low aspect ratios) where the flow is far from the idealised (relatively smooth) state required by most methods. I doubt that it could be modelled accurately enough to quantify with complex computer simulation (CFD) methods.

The Boat
I love that boat in your photo!!! In general if boats are long and narrow they seem to generate more lateral resistance - I guess it is obvious - a narrow hull has to be deeper for the same displacement - and if it is very narrow for its length then it has to be a lot deeper.

The Skill
I think Robert will be aware of this - he has a long sailing background - but it might help others in shallow water situations.

The most important thing you can do if trying to get a boat upwind in shallow water where the centreboard or leeboard is retracted is to keep speed up. Make sure the boat is moving well.

If you are going 4 knots rather than 2 knots the boat can generate around 4 times the side force. Double the speed squared.

Some things that help...

Ease sails a bit - maybe sheet the sails about 5 degrees wider than normal and don't pull them on hard - allow a little bit more depth by having slightly slackened sheets.
Try not to point too high.
Move forward in the boat - at least in any boat with a pointy bow - more bow depth can help develop significant sideforce. It also will give the boat a bit more weather helm making it want to climb up to windward a bit more - this will have to be counteracted by the rudder which will also have to have a positive angle of incidence to the centreline and will in turn develop extra lift in the right direction.
If you have to tack then go onto a reach after the tack to pick up speed and then once you have the speed you can bring the sails in smoothly and start to point higher
Actually that is the general method - if the boat starts sliding sideways ease the sails and get more speed and then try to sail closer to the wind without losing too much of the speed.

I learned a lot of this years ago using my racing NS14 for camping cruises during school holidays - trying to work upwind over shallow sand bars or on occasion across oyster leases (on the Hawkesbury River and Brisbane Waters near Gosford - actually also later on at Wallis Lake at Forster). Sometimes the tide will take you where you don't want to go or you can just get lost amongst extensive oyster farms!

Actually it can be pretty useful in the lower Murray River system too.

It was worth it when you can wake up in the tent on a sand island in the middle of a busy waterway and see the pelicans gliding long and far inches above the water.

Salad Days!

Best Wishes
Michael Storer

robhosailor
2nd January 2008, 07:13 PM
The skill of the sailor can make a big difference though - and the type of boat can as well.

That's truth!!!:U

In general if boats are long and narrow they seem to generate more lateral resistance That's truth!!!:U

But...

I remember, many years ago my brother and I sailing down small river crossing shallow areas with retracted centre plate on that boat (pictures!) http://www.robert_hoffman.republika.pl/userfiles/gallery/Galeria_7/images/Nasza_stara_lodka03w_pelnej_krasie.jpg
http://www.robert_hoffman.republika.pl/userfiles/gallery/Galeria_7/images/Nasza_stara_lodka05.jpg
(on this photo the boat is sailing with 3 persons and with retracted centreplate)
and other two round bottomed boats try to do something similar on our steps - they can't to do it, those boats are sliding to lee quickly and landing in bushes :;:;:;

In strong wind our boat was no seaworthy (low bow of this boat was sticked into the wave, skid caused deterioration of steering on waves etc.etc.) whenewer my brother crossed by her the largest Polish lake Sniardwy in wind force 6-7... (it required special skills too):;

Boatmik
3rd January 2008, 08:35 AM
Howdy Robert,

It is always difficult to compare boats of different shapes.

Some boats I have sailed won't go upwind at all with the centreboard completely retracted.

And some will go upwind OK with the centreboard completely retracted. Not GOOD performance but enough to cover some ground in very shallow water as you describe.

It is important to sail them in the way I talk about above.

It is difficult to say what makes the difference as boats are so complex. My experience however is that some boats can be quite good at this sort of sailing. However almost no boats in Australia have keels on the bottom - but some still go upwind OK.

Maybe you can try it on Beth. It sounds like you really like the idea of bottom skids. Build the boat without them and sail it for a few months. Then add them later and sail for a few months. Long term experience with only the one change in variable will give you a better idea.

I'm not saying it won't make any difference. I am saying the difference will be very small.

The general point I am making is that if you have a boat with poor windward performance then bottom skids won't make enough difference to solve the problem - to change the centreboard/keel/leeboard will have an immediate and obvious effect similar to when I added a few inches to the length of Beth's centreboard. It made a profound difference to the performance of the boat - even more if the boat had an undersize centreboard in the first case.

The point is that the effect of a few more inches was obvious and profound. I don't think you will find an "obvious and profound" difference with and without bottom skids.

An undersized centreboard, leeboard or keel is the single most common reason that lots of wooden boat designs perform poorly. There are actually very few designers who get this right. Oughtred and Bolger are two who do. But even OUghtred's sailing canoes and leeboard dinghies can be improved substantially by adding some inches to the leeboards - his centreboarded and bilgeboarded yachts are perfect.

Best wishes
Michael

robhosailor
3rd January 2008, 09:18 PM
Michael :)

I want to try Beth (sharpie kamikaze canoe yawl) without skids :)

What from this discussion is?

Expected problems of flexibility of Beth's bottom?
Shallow waters?

Tell to the truth: Maximum most efficient centreboard is when its aspect ratio is as high as possible (when aspect ratio is aspirating to infinity - from this shapes of gliders wings are). This is truth if angle of attack (I'm not sure how to say it in English correct) is minimal - for higher (bigger) angles of attack low aspect ratio wings are better (sic!).
For spectacular close windward ability highest aspect ratio of cenreboard are most important. Whenever our waters are not fathomless (waters are shallow). For higher angles of attack and for shallow waters low aspect ratio centreboards (DELTA wings for example) are better than half (or entirely) retracted high aspect ratio daggerboards. Half swinged swinging (pivoting, kicking up) centreboard is better than half retracted daggerboard. Half retracted swinging centreboard is a bit similar to low aspect ratio DELTA wing. Skid is a substitute of low aspect ratio keel and in collaboration with half retracted high aspect ratio daggerboard may produce more lateral resistance than half retracted daggerboard only.

My experience again:
I owned and sailed many years two round bottomed boats. First one was short and wide (L 4m, B 1.75 m) cabin dinghy with swinging cenreplate (picture).
http://www.robert_hoffman.republika.pl/userfiles/Marysia_na_Ince01.jpg
She was not good for close windward sailing but her efficiency was ok in half retracted centreplate on shallows (she did not be able to tack!) in light and moderate winds. Her half swinged centreplate was similar in shape to DELTA wing.

The second one was a racing class International MICRO prothotype (French proveniency) with profiled high aspect ratio eliptic shape, for low induction of resistance, daggerboard (her interior was rebuild by me for small weekend cruising and I did not take I participation -I did not start- in races). She was brilliant in all winds on deep waters but each touch of daggerboard of bottom efected stop a boat which was slided to lee after retracting a bit of daggerboard.
Tell to the truth this boat was (under modern tendences) short and wide too (L 5.5 m, B 2.42 m) but she was proportionally smooth in waterline (BWL circa 1.4 m?). At this picture you can see her with half swinged rudder and I as preparing to lowering of daggerboard, ghosting in light air near our marina on Zegrze Lake (my brother as a helsman):
http://www.robert_hoffman.republika.pl/userfiles/St_Bibola01.jpg

Michael,
You are right!!!: Very difficult (impassible almost) comparision of different kind and types of boats is. But we can see some tendences. My two round bottomed boats has not skids. I've sailed several other fiberglass round bottomed without skids boats too. All of them was not good in windward with swinged/retracted centreboards. Tell to the truth they were bad in it. (and you are right: long and narrow ones were better than short and wide ones!)

Probably we can not to correctly define all phenomena for all types of boats and our experiences are not complete to define it at all. Whenever modern computer technics able to do it are.

:):):)

HELLICONIA54
8th April 2009, 09:14 PM
Howdy All,

Robhosailer made some statements that open up an interesting discussion.

There are a lot of comments on the net about adding a shallow piece of timber to the bottom of a boat to assist in tracking (in canoes) or upwind performance with centreboard part retracted.

Maybe that shallow keel would be an inch (25mm) or 3/4" (19mm) deep.

Canoes and Paddling
With a canoe, the general thrust of the literature is if you have to consider adding a shallow keel to get more directional stability then the boat has not been designed properly.

It should achieve the required directional stability by shaping the bottoms of the bows with enough fineness (narrowness) to give the boat additional directional stability -they act as a fin at the front and a fin at the back to keep the boat tracking.

My balsa canoe was fairly extreme in this regard but demonstrates the point nicely. It is the ends of a canoe that give it directional stability.

http://www.storerboatplans.com/Balsacanoe/balsa%20stem%20detail%20a.jpg

With a very simplified plywood boat it might be necessary to add an external keel as it might be difficult getting the right shape in the ends.

With my plywood Eureka canoes I worked very hard to get approximate the correct shape in the ends - so they don't need an external batten - but with really simple boat it might be necessary to have a keel batten and/or a skeg at the back.

By the way - if you have fibreglass canoe and it wanders all over the place - it is because the fineness in the ends is the first thing most manufacturers like to get rid of because it is harder to build. There are some good 'glass canoes around (even though most are a lot heavier than properly designed plywood ones) but you can see which ones are good in the showroom by llooking at which have hollowed out ends like the balsa canoe above.

Sea Kayaks are often much more radical in the ends than the balsa canoe.

A good strategy for the depth of the keel required is to making it bigger and deeper than required and plane it down if the directional stability is excessive. The depth of the keel AT THE ENDS OF THE BOAT is where it makes the difference - in the middle it doesn't help much.

Sailboats
Sailboats are different - a deep hollow forefoot on a light boat is asking for trouble. When going down waves the bow tends to bury a bit and the rudder comes out of the water a bit. If the bow is hollow like the balsa canoe it might be able to generate significant steering forces in that situation and the boat will spear off in one direction or another no matter what you do with the rudder.

But back to the point of the discussion.

A shallow batten as we are talking about will have some effect, but because of the higher forces involved in controlling a sailboat (think about steering a canoe at 3 knots or a sailboat at 12 knots) the effect of the batten is so much less than that of the rudder or hullshape it is diminishingly small.

It won't provide any useful effect in either directional stability or help the boat go up to windward with the centreboard retracted.

As it gets deeper it is much more effective.

But the problem is the opposite of the canoe. If the keel is the length of the boat and has some depth - eg a foot of depth on a 16ft boat - it will add so much directional stability the boat might become a poor at changing direction - sluggish on the helm and perhaps start failing to tack correctly without losing all speed during the turn. So the tendency is for keels to get shorter and deeper for sailboats to retain adequate manoeuvrability - but it was also found that this improves performance substantially

Some directional stability is useful - and a medium length and deeper keel can be useful for that - but it is possible to control directional stability using hullshape and volume distribution and use very narrow deep centreboards or keels and still get reasonable or good directional stability without a long keel.

Now with the example of Roberts - we are looking at putting some battens on the outside of the bottom of the boat to reduce flex of the bottom. I don't expect them to have much effect in upwind performance at all.

At one stage I sailed a Heron class dinghy that had bottom skid of the type we are talking about - it didn't seem to make much difference.

One of the biggest determinants of good upwind performance is depth of the centreboard or keel. Many traditional looking boats have very poor upwind performance for just this reason - inadequate lateral plane or depth.

Beth - the boat we are talking about here was very poor with the original centreboard - which had an in-water depth of around 2ft 4" - upwind performance was very poor.

I built a slightly longer board - just under 3ft below the bottom of the boat - and performance jumped dramatically - so it went from just feeling slushy and vague and not having performance comparable to even the poorest performing conventional racing classes to suddenly having enough pace to match Lasers around a racecourse.

This sort of speed can be fobbed off by some as being unimportant - but it means the boat can cover real distance in adverse conditions with little effort. Important for safety and an increased cruising range.

BUT - if you sail habitually in REALLY shallow water and having even a foot deep centreboard or keel means you can't go sailing - then it is well worth exploring the options of very shallow long keels.

Best wishes

Michael StorerI recently built a pirogue,17' by 3' by 15inches deep.With two adults on board,the bow and stern do not get wet.It has a fair amount of rocker and draws only 1 inch midship.I have one full length 1"X 1"Keel and two parallel rubbing strips.It tracks pretty well,don't know if these strips have anything to do with it though,,,,lol i put them there as stiffeners and bottom protection.

Boatmik
12th April 2009, 11:11 AM
Exactly right .... I think there has to be a lot of doubt as to whether they work. Boats with and without the stakes or keel seem to behave about the same.

This means that you can add for a cruising type boat .. but I would expect a slight drag penalty for a racer.

MIK