PDA

View Full Version : Some success--bangles for Amos

lubbing5cherubs
30th December 2007, 03:21 PM
HI Guys these are the results that I finally finished you can see by the lines of the bangle on the thinner one. THis is the one that broke to bits that I glued back up again.
Not exactly happy with it but it did have a flaw in the timber before I started I thought it would not matter to learn on. WRONG!!:-
the fat bangle is mackay cedar that i was very careful with. the thinner bangles and the rings whichi I am going to get findings for to make into a matching earrings for the bracelet. i think it is mahogany whatever they are all the same wood.

anyway opinions to improve always welcomed!!
all the best
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2007, 03:42 PM
No advice from me, except... I don't think you'd want to make the bangles much thinner, else they'll tend to snap at the short grain areas if the wearer knocks 'em about in the wrong way. (Unless you start making segmented rings, of course.)

I like the grain in the Mackay Cedar one!

Harry72
30th December 2007, 05:28 PM
Here's an idea... a concealed hinge one side and some RE magnets to act as a catch on the other side.

PenTurner
30th December 2007, 05:39 PM
Toni, thanks, very encouraging, I think that if you can make up sets of, Bangle, earings, perfume atomiser, pen, keyring, that they would sell well because they are a set!, my skill doesn't allow me to go as far as you have, but if I go the next level in skill, that is what I will try. Also, a little bowl with lid to put the accessories in. Amos:)

funkychicken
30th December 2007, 07:46 PM
Now what you're gonna do is round off the edges on the insides of the bangles/rings. It makes them more comfortable to wear and easier to get on and off.

Good Job for a first effort. It took me five goes to get a decent one.

artme
31st December 2007, 12:06 AM
Now that you are on the right track and have a few other suggestions to act on I'd say finish them with CA as this shld help bind ecerything together.:)

lubbing5cherubs
31st December 2007, 09:06 AM
Hi Art, Can you tell me how do you do a CA finish with the chuck on the inside. Won't it get glues to the chuck? Or do I wax it first like on the mandrel??
Thanks Toni

artme
31st December 2007, 10:04 AM
Waxit, dear Toni wax it.

Simomatra
31st December 2007, 10:07 AM
Nice start Toni

You are well on the way. Look for that woodwork group it really helps, we have quite a few women turners in ours

wheelinround
31st December 2007, 03:10 PM
Nice work Toni :2tsup:

look like a larger version these http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=63583

maybe something else you could make easy peasy

Toni you could work a hinge into the design a wooden one I'll try draw up what I mean and get back to you

funkychicken
31st December 2007, 03:45 PM
I know what you mean Wheelin. I've thought about doing it and know these things.

The bangle would have to be pretty thick.
It'd be pretty hard to drill the holes for the magnets.
The hinge would have to be tiny and not touch the skin (metal is cold)
A concealed hinge would be better

Or you could use a wooden hinge...

wheelinround
31st December 2007, 04:12 PM
This is rough Toni hope you get the idea for the hinge a brass pin would look good tiny earth magnets or a clasp clip to close it

rodent
8th February 2008, 05:36 AM
Tony try two chucks one internal and one external so you can sand the inside here are some ear rings i made ILL get some more picks for you latter . gidge rings osage orange tear drops .PICT0302.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=66826&stc=1&d=1202409337)