PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Up Auto Trans Fluid on Driveway

rodm
28th November 2003, 04:11 PM
Having a rev head for a son I have yet another large oil stain on the carport floor. Engine oil cleans up ok with degreaser but the auto trans fuild doesn't seem to shift. I have coloured concrete so I can't use acid so does anybody know what lifts auto trans fluid?

I keep telling him those V8's, Turbos and Superchargers are useless and he could buy a lot of good woodworking equipment but you know the story.
Next time a gearbox hemorages I am going to kick it up the exaust pipe.

Have tried Karcher high pressure sprayer, degreaser and detergent.

thanks if anyone can help

BigPop
28th November 2003, 05:14 PM
Rod,
It maybe a bit late now if you have already tried to 'wash' it off - but good stuff to use on oil spills is Kitty Litter and the cheap stuff from the supermarket is just as good as the name brand stuff. Pour it on the spill liberally and leave it for a while to suck up the oil and then sweep it all up and put in a bin or similar as it can be re-used.
As far as cleaning the stain up now I don't know what you can do other than try degreaser or acid but having 'coloured' concrete makes it a lot harder to do now.

stephenmeddings
28th November 2003, 05:15 PM
give some nappy wash a try. Had a transmission blow the main seal and spread oil down the drive as the car drove out. It got most of it off (normal concrete) and the rest disappeared over time.

echnidna
30th November 2003, 05:38 PM
Castrol makes (or used to) a dry granulated product called "MOP". Wash the oilstain liberally with kero and while still wet apply a layer of mop. I have seen black workshop floors with years of stains returned to a near new appearance.

BigPop
30th November 2003, 06:38 PM
Bob,
I think you'll find that 'MOP' is the same as Kitty Litter as all Kitty Litter is, is granulated clay that soaks stuff up.
Same as what they use underneath BBQ's these days too instead of sand - BBQ's Galore sell it as Fat soaker or something of that name and charge heaps for it - Kitty Litter does the same job and get it as cheap as chips from the supermarket.

Suprising how well Kitty Litter works on oil spills - I have it handy here at home and use it when I do the oil changes on our cars in case I happen to have a spill

echnidna
30th November 2003, 06:49 PM
BigPete,
Reckon your'e probably right on about kitty litter.
I think the key to a real good cleanup is scraping gunk off then washing down with kero, let it soak in for half an hour so that the litter draws the ingrained oil up out of the concrete.

rodm
30th November 2003, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I will try Kitty Litter and Kero as it makes sense and is about the only thing I haven't tried.