PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box - Tababouie??

Little Festo
28th November 2003, 06:01 PM
Not to sure about the spelling but what the Tree lopper said sounded like "Tababouie". This was rough turned green, then microwaved, then finnished off when sufficiently dried out. The wood turned well when wet but got a bit brittle when dried out. It has quite a nice lustre and the grain pattern really picks up the light. It was finnished with UBeaut waxes and polishes. I have quite a few logs as the tree was cut down in the backyard - so it's a fair bit of cheap wood for me to practise on. Unfortunatly I "stuffed" up the original lid so didn't get a really good match with the rest of the box but it's no too bad and good enough for a birthday present for a workmate.

BTW it's a end grain box (the lid ain't though).

Sir Chiz
28th November 2003, 08:47 PM
Looks good!Whatever ya call it :) I like it.
The grain looks similar to our American Elm.
I've heard of a south African wood called Tambootie, but in the pictures I saw the wood was more of a chocolate brown.

Nice turnin'!

Chiz.

gatiep
28th November 2003, 10:57 PM
Tambotie is a dark wood almast as dark as Rhodesian Teak.

At a quick glance the lidded box looked like it was turned from Jacaranda.

I am not clued up on Australian wood yet so have no idea what the lopper said.

Regards
Joe

jamesy
1st December 2003, 08:29 PM
It will be a Tabibua sp. The trumpet tree. Pity it went they have the most spectacular flower display toward the end of winter.

It looks a bit like the African Tulip Tree when turned and a nice job you've done.

PS If you see an African Tulip--- Don't hesitate---chop it down and turn it. That's all it's good for.