PDA

View Full Version : What bit for drilling water holes in bottom of Glazed PotPlant Pots

barrysumpter
29th November 2003, 09:57 AM
What bit for drilling water holes in bottom of Glazed PotPlant Pots from Bunnies ( $10 for 5 )

I think they're made from cement ?

Really cheap and chips easily but look quite decent.

I've accumulated a number of these for this project:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?threadid=6183

All come with water holes in the bottom.

But the larger ones come with two holes drilled off centre.
As you can see with the project above I need a centre hole.

And was hoping someone here could rcommend a bit for drilling water holes in the centre bottom of these pots.

q9
29th November 2003, 11:15 AM
I have used normal concrete drilling bits in a cordless. Don't use a hammer drill or you will be left with a few hundred pieces you didn't have before.

ndru
30th November 2003, 07:56 PM
If the pots are just concrete just use a masonry bit. If it is glazed the hard part will be breaking through that glaze, which is basically glass.

Before drilling, start by gently tapping a small divot with a nail punch where the hole will to breach the glaze. Then start drilling your holes like you would through bathroom tile - slowly and with some tape on intended hole to prevent the pot from cracking. You should use a glass/tile bit, which are about $10, rather than a masonry bit. Do not use any hammer action on you drill!

Any glazed pot without a drainage hole in the bottom is just poor design. Don't ask me how I know all this:( .