PDA

View Full Version : unknown walking stick wood

andycap
1st January 2008, 02:31 PM
I was at a a small celebration last night and a lady there had this rather nice walking stick. I think it originated in the UK and I'm interested in finding out what it's made of. Can anyone help?

Brickie
1st January 2008, 02:51 PM
Looks like wood. :D

andycap
1st January 2008, 03:08 PM
Oh good, someone replied. Even so soon after the celebration referred to, I managed to get as far as the answer provide by Brickie! However I'm looking for more specifics - like which forrest did it come from... :2tsup:

Brickie
1st January 2008, 03:17 PM
Sherwood of course..:roll:

andycap
1st January 2008, 03:37 PM
Groan. Now I know why, after more than 3 years membership of these forums, I have accumulated only 6 posts! 7 now...

ravlord13
1st January 2008, 03:47 PM
Ya just gota keep trying

:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st January 2008, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't have been a bramble, would it?

Brickie
1st January 2008, 04:36 PM
Isnt Bramble just Blackberry?

tea lady
1st January 2008, 04:53 PM
Perhaps Walking stick cabbage. Seen seeds availqabe from Heritage seeds and grows like 2 meters tall and has bumps all down it like that where leaves grow off. (And I thought I had nothing to offer this forum)

wheelinround
1st January 2008, 05:12 PM
Possible Witch Hazle with all those knots

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st January 2008, 05:30 PM
Isnt Bramble just Blackberry?

Blackberry is to brambles what crapiata is to trees. :U

There's an awful lot of cane type plants that are classed as brambles... I guess what I should've asked was: could most of those knots be from the removal of thorns? (Just trying to narrow the field.)

tea lady
2nd January 2008, 06:59 PM
If you google "walking stick cabbage" there is lots of info and even instructions on how to grow and dry it out and everything. :cool:

orraloon
2nd January 2008, 10:44 PM
I have also heard of walking sticks being made of gabbage stem and that looks like it may be one. there are all kinds of cabbage. The stems of kail or brussel sprouts as grown on the UK would look a bit like that stick. They are allowed to grow all winter and cropped for winter greens. As a result they can get more than 1m tall.

Regards
John

tea lady
2nd January 2008, 11:01 PM
The walking stick cabbage grows to more than 2 meters tall. Here is the link to a photo of a boy with one. http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/779/3(I hope. Never done links on a post before>)
Here is a link to how to grow one with a hook on the end.http://tomclothier.hort.net/page32.html
Fun hah! But I hope you don't need that walking stick next week.:oo:

andycap
2nd January 2008, 11:22 PM
Gosh. A cabbage. I'm not sure that my lady friend Dulcie will be all that wrapt in the idea that she's propped up with a dead cabbage! It has to be that though. Thank you all very much.

powderpost
2nd January 2008, 11:27 PM
Could be a very old rose tree with the thorns removed. I made a walking stick some time back, from a climbing rose bush that died 'mysteriously'. It was climbing on the verandah. Swmbo thought it a lovely plant.... :~
Jim

tea lady
2nd January 2008, 11:57 PM
Walking with cabbages might be better that having to eat them. Especially how my mother cooked them. (A very long time.:yucky:)

pitbull
3rd January 2008, 02:41 PM
Could be briar. :wink:

woodturner777
3rd January 2008, 03:22 PM
Could be Treewood