PDA

View Full Version : My CNC router and web site.

TheBackShed
1st January 2008, 03:51 PM
Hi everyone.

I just thought I would show off my home made CNC router.
http://www.thebackshed.com/cnc/images/Photos/Dscf1430ss.jpg
It was built from RHS and laser cut parts, its handy to have access to a laser cutter :B. Work area is 1000 * 500mm, software is EMC2 currently.
Anyway, I put together a web site about the router, and includes some general CNC information. I would like some feedback on the site, any corrections or suggestions. I'm basically trying to put together a site where someone could find usefull infomation and idea's to build their own cnc router. So please feel free to tell me what you think, open to idea's.

The address is http://www.thebackshed.com/cnc

Glenn

big_gumbo
1st January 2008, 08:04 PM
wow, that looks really good, for a home made job. How much did it cost?

You can get DIY plans on ebay to build your own router. Might be worth a look

artme
1st January 2008, 08:24 PM
Did you really find it necessary to introduce your self with such a bang.:D:D
Welcome to the madhouse of these forums. Looks like you will have a lot to offer.:2tsup::2tsup::oo:

snowyskiesau
1st January 2008, 10:33 PM
Great looking site and great timing, I'm in the planning stage to build a CNC router (or foam cutter, not sure yet)
Having spent the afternoon on the Internet looking for suppliers of CNC bits and pieces, a list of local suppliers would be great.

Pops
2nd January 2008, 01:23 AM
Hi Glen,

Not a Dark Sider then.:) Just kidding. Great site. Great machine.

Well done. Expect to see some Work In Progress posts soon.

Cheers
Pops

les88
2nd January 2008, 07:04 AM
Hello Glen,
Your site is spot on and I have been going to make a CNC for a while now but couldn't get my head around it. I will make a determined effort this year. Oh and welcome.. there are some members here who have made CNC machines :2tsup::2tsup:
les

WillyInBris
2nd January 2008, 08:16 AM
Hi Glenn,

Good work, good to see another CNC on the thread.

Have you found any deflection and did you find the welds pull the bed out of alignment at all?

I am thinking of starting another in early Feb this will be much larger then the one I have currently built and have been thinking of welding the bed and using box section.

I like your site well done all we need it that CNC Sub Forum off the Routing forum :U.

TheBackShed
2nd January 2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys.

I do plan to add a lot more detail about my machine, at the moments its all very generic.
I was worried about welding up the frame and how this may distort the rails, so I built the gantry to only key of one side/rail. The other rail is there simply as a support, the gantry just runs along the top surface. That way the two rails dont need to be parallel.
The router was designed so I could scale it up by just using longer RHS sections and acme thread. The box section used on the gantry Y axis is 40mm. We are planning to make a larger one using 50mm rhs and a 1200mm long axis ( 1500mm long rhs lengths ). Will be interresting to see how much that flexes.

I should add the photo above is the older version, the new design has a different gantry and Z axis set up.

Glenn

Pops
2nd January 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi Glen,

A larger one. More detail. !! I will surely keep an eye out for all that. Just love reading about tech stuff (that is over my head).

Cheers
Pops

WillyInBris
2nd January 2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys.

We are planning to make a larger one using 50mm rhs and a 1200mm long axis ( 1500mm long rhs lengths ). Will be interresting to see how much that flexes.

Glenn

I was thinking of using 150x50 for the bed 40x40 for the struts and some 100x100 for legs I would rather going heavy and having no flex at all looking to build a bed 2.4x1.2

Moving the bearings to the top would solve a lot of problems, then I could weld it saving lot of time.

rodm
2nd January 2008, 11:01 PM
Hi Glenn,
I like your machine and web site. Good to see some Australian web content on CNC.
There are quite a few home grown Australian machines floating around in all the states. No doubt you have seen CNCZone and a lot of us have our builds on there.

Just a comment on your single axis tracking. While it might make it easier to construct you are effectively loosing rigidity in the design and racking of the axis becomes a problem. The way to overcome this is to weld your frame but attach your RHS rails with bolts that can be adjusted in/out and up/down to make two parallel and plumb rails.

A 1.5metre long screw particularly if it is 12mm is asking for trouble unless you make it a rotating nut. An acme thread will wip all over the joint spinning at 300RPM and this will only give you 1metre/min rapids if you can get it to spin that fast. You can go larger diameter screw but then the mass of the screw becomes a problem for a small stepper. Rack and pinion is the way to go with long axes.

This looks a bit like I am knocking your machine which is not the intention. I am just pointing out some troublesome design elements and the way to overcome them. I have built a few of these machines and are happy to discuss design with you if you want to email me.

WillyInBris
You have got the bug. :D 2.4m by 1.2m is ambitious but it would be great if you pulled it off.
I thought this thread was from Gary as he calls himself The Back Shed as well.

Woodlee
2nd January 2008, 11:14 PM
Glenn

Just had a good read of your web site including the windmill site .

Cluey bugger arent you.

Good site and good info , I may get around to building a CNC one day when all the other jobs are finished around here.
Thanks for sharing .

Kev