PDA

View Full Version : ML7 Lubrication

Poloris
1st January 2008, 10:45 PM
I am trying to source oil to lubricate a Myford ML7 lathe, that I brought recently.
Myford Australia are not answering emails at this time.
So I'm looking for a substitute for Esso Nuto 32 touted by myford as the recomended bearing oil.

Preferably in Perth and preferably in quantities of 5 litres or less.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Please.

pipeclay
2nd January 2008, 12:04 AM
Try and see if you can find Shell Tellus32 or Mobil DTE32,they are all hydraulic oils,dont think you will find it in less than 20ltr drums.
You may be able to try an Hydraulics repairer they may be able to supply you with a small amount for a nominal fee.
You could even try some of the local machine shops,

Penpal
2nd January 2008, 07:56 AM
Why not call for a survey of metal lathe users in your state so you can buy cheap and share the advantage. Peter:2tsup:

rodm
2nd January 2008, 09:37 AM
Fiora in Cannington stock lathe oil in 4 litre containers.

C-47
2nd January 2008, 07:14 PM
Poloris,
If you need some DTE32 oil urgently I can maybe help out with a bit as Fioria dont open again until the 7th. PM me if you require, Alan.

Poloris
2nd January 2008, 09:15 PM
Fiora machinery seems to be the place and they are local to me.
Everyone else has 20 litres drums of the stuff.
Thanks for the offer C47, but I won't be able to run the lathe untill I finish the stand next week. It has also been on hold over the chrismass shutdown period.
So I can wait a few more days.

malb
2nd January 2008, 09:57 PM
Poloris,
Father bought a secondhand Southbend in 1968 and it worked very regular hours till he passed away 18months ago. When he bought it, he also purchased a 5 gallon drum of 30 weight Mobil engine oil, and continued to lube all parts of the lathe with that.

I was speaking to a friend who is a retired instrument maker and who has owned a Super 7 with full set of accesories since new. His standard oil for all lube points, bed, ways, leadscrew etc is available in small to medium quantities in most towns or suburbs in Australia.

Briggs and Statton 4 stroke engine oil, straight 30 grade mineral oil, non detergent, no synthetic components, and available in many hardwares and most mower shops in 1 ltr and 4 ltr bottles.

I have known Don about 20 years, and he had his machine for a fair time before I met him. The lathe runs at least 20 hrs per week on a variety of tasks, and remains in near new condition, so I think that I could safely pass on his reccommendation to you.

Hope this helps

Sterob
2nd January 2008, 10:25 PM
I bought a 4 L plastic container of Tellus46 from a local auto parts store. That is what H&F recommended for my lathe.

Pomare
8th January 2008, 05:03 PM
Hi Poloris,
I used to be the agent in NZ for Myford and have owned a Super 7 for about 25 years.
Do not use engine oil - this oil is made to be "sticky" to adhere to engine
parts when cold.
I use "Castrol Hyspin" which is specifically recommended for machine tools.
Usually avail in 5 litres. Most oil companies will have a direct equivalent if you can't get to a Castrol supplier.
Use it to lubricate - slides, headstock bearings, change gear shafts, leadscrew in fact everything on your lathe that requires oiling.

Cheers John