View Full Version : Air Brushing

nev25
2nd January 2008, 12:06 AM
Does anyone know anything about these courses
http://www.airbrushventuri.com.au/airbrush.html
Or anything about the organization

MICKYG
2nd January 2008, 07:45 AM
Nev25, I have air brush equipment which is very useful. Do not know about the course mentioned but imagine you would learn lots of good stuff. I have Badger 175 and 100, and a paashe "h" set as well as regulator for same. Very handy equipment in lots of applications.

Regards Mike

neilb
2nd January 2008, 09:50 AM
I would like to do similar. I have the airbrush kit still in the box but I havent a clue as what to do , or where or what to get as far as supplies of paint (what type ?) or anything else. Does anyone know of a supplier in the Brisbane area ? Or better still, is there any forumite willing to show how its done :D ?????? I would like to paint my Steel Guitars with some sort of airbrush murals but have come uo against a brick wall.

TAFE used to do a short course in this a few years ago but seems to be more interested in the big money computer / commercial / industrial things these days. :((
Neil.

Cliff Rogers
2nd January 2008, 11:08 AM
I did a course in Blacktown (?) in Sydney at Phill & Margries School of Custom Art in about 1980 something.
I enjoyed it & took to it like a fish to water but have hardly ever used it since.... I made more money fixing computers. :rolleyes:

MICKYG
2nd January 2008, 01:16 PM
Happy birthday Cliff.

Nice to see that I am not the only bloke with an air brush system. Nev and Neil I have only used acrylic paints as used in the automotive industry, enamel paints. Most will air brush if thinned 50/50. Keep you air brushes clean and strain all that goes into the air brush with Screen printing Guaze, a very fine silk like material. I am not an artist by any means but do paint a few bits and pieces with them. Sunburst on a guitar is a cinch with these brushes.

I have not used any water based paint through my system. Most will air brush if thinned 50/50
. Some air brushes will only take well thinned liquids so experiment and you may surprise your self. Cliff might dig into his memory bank for a few pointers. There are some very talented artists that do air brushing for a living, sure are very skilled.

Regards Mike.

China
2nd January 2008, 09:23 PM
I too completed a course many years ago it was definately worth while, see if you can discover how long they have been going, and check uot the testimonials, the fly by nighters usualy don't stay around too long and there normaly a wake of disatified students

neilb
3rd January 2008, 12:50 AM
Thanks Mike
You hit the nail right on the head with the Sunburst technique. Thats exactly what I want to do. Can you PM me on the method used to achieve this type of finish ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Neil. :doh:

Cliff Rogers
4th January 2008, 11:58 AM
,.....Can you PM me on the method used to achieve this type of finish ? ....
Best if you post it here for all to see & learn & add comments too.

durwood
4th January 2008, 05:40 PM
I would check out the background of the people offering these courses. Its been a while since I heard of any rip off but a few years back one guy was touring the country offering such a course. He would lob into town, make arrangements with a smash repair business or Car dealership to use their workshop at night.

He then advertised for classes, started by selling airbrushes and lesson notes for inflated fee's. Did a few weeks doing basic stuff and then disappeared. As the classses were once a week he usually had a 6 day start on the police. Eventually his reputation caught up with him and people wouldn't enrol for his course and he faded into the night.

I used to teach airbrushing at TAFE until the govt decided everyone should pay business rates for courses. As teachers retired they didn't replace them and the teachers left had more than enough work just servicing the apprentices so all hobby or other courses disappeared.

Some colleges in NSW still run airbrush courses but most are introduction to the trades for school kids.

Its a great pity all those courses are now gone, there are many people who were able to gain skills that not only allowed them to complete all sorts of projects from furniture building to restoring cars. I even had students who went on to take up new careers from such courses.

Buzza
4th January 2008, 11:35 PM
When I quizzed my son who is in his thirties and does a bit a fancy air-brushing, he gave me two videos to watch. This is the best and cheapest way I reckon. Run backwards or forwards and study them at will. Can't remember who made the vids, but they were from the USA. The guy shows how to do checkerplate with rivetts which impressed me. :2tsup:

Buzza
4th January 2008, 11:48 PM
Now that I've searched Ebay, I found this . . Item number: 200076507790. :) It could be the very same, but I'm not sure. However, it is worth a look.

hairymick
11th January 2008, 12:50 PM
G'day guys,

I am a trade instructor at a local high security prison. (workin in the carpentry shop of course)

We have recently aquired all the airbrushing equipment from our education mob and are in the process of develloping a training package for it. (the ed mob's course fell over for many of the same reasons it has a Tafe)

My point is that I and a couple of the other tradies are now being taught by some very talented prisoners. I am so excited by this opportunity, i have just ordered a Paasch set for home to practice with.

The first thing I have learned is to do it well is a lot harder than it looks. A lot of hands on tuition is a very good thing.

If anybody is interested, as the course evolves and we become more competent, I will post what I can here that might be of assistance.

BTW, it is a LOT cheaper to buy the stuff in the US and ship it out here, than to support the locals. I bought two kits, (one for my mate too) plus 4 spare sets of needles and tips for each kit, 20 extra bottles and so on and shipped them for about the same price as I could buy a single, basic kit here. Makes it kinda hard to support the locals.

hairymick
11th January 2008, 12:56 PM
Oh yeah,

NeilB, mate here is where we get our paint supplies.

http://www.oxlades.com.au/

neilb
11th January 2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks Hairymick . Keep us posted on your "inside" airbrushing information . I reckon that there are a few of us out here that would like to follow this up . I know I will be keeping an eye out for anything being posted. :2tsup:
Neil.

Cagey
27th January 2008, 09:52 PM
Nev, if your gonna do a serious course, this is the one. i did a 10 month course with Tony at Airbrush Venturi a lot of years ago, and then spent another 10 months assisting him. he was the first person in oz to put a course like this together, and last i heard was getting beginner courses into high schools all over the place.