PDA

View Full Version : Optical Character Recognition Scanning

jmk89
2nd January 2008, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know a good OCR scanner (a business that does OCR scanning not a machine) who is quick and efficient?

What I want to do is to have all of the judgments that my grandfather (who was the judge of the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory in the 1950s) gave scanned into the appropriate format so that they can be added to the Austlii (Australian Legal Information Institute) data base. Austlii take their materials in RTF form. I am prepared to do the proofreading of the scans once they have been converted into RTF/word but I would like to use someone to do the scanning who is quick, accurate and cheap.

Any suggestions?

If you don't want to advertise the organisation, please send me a PM.

lpg_falcon
2nd January 2008, 07:29 PM
I cannot recommend a company.
But.
We do all of our incoming correspondence.
Abby Finereader is the OCR software we use, about $800 a license.
We have 3 Finereader servers (Simply A pc with software on it for loadsharing the OCR queues etc).
Accuracy pretty good on Typed documents.
We scan everything to PDF, but it can do others.

We did look at others alternatives.

We use photocopiers with Automatic Document Feeders and EMAIL ability as our scanners, so nothing flash.

lpg_falcon.

q9
4th January 2008, 01:10 AM
I would think that some of the copy shops could probably do that for you. Some of the better copiers have a whole scan to text/pdf/etc option which should be able to do what you want - I trialled some a few years ago and they were amazingly accurate.