PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Advice

FINCO
2nd January 2008, 03:21 PM
HI, I am in the hunt for a bandsaw. I am looking to do a bit of boxmaking, general woodworking as a hobby. I would also like to do a bit of resawing. I have not used a bandsaw since highschool about 12 years ago. From what I can remember a very useful machine that I used alot. I think it was a large one but not sure of the size. From what I have read here people are saying no less than a 14". I have looked around for a second hand one but there's not much around. Does anyone have any advice on whether a 14" is ok or whether I should go bigger. Also what brand and model can people reccommend, and what ones to stay away from. I have looked at the Jet 14" and seems ok. Anyway as you can see I dont have much idea so best I ask here. Thanks guys,
Ben.:2tsup:

orraloon
2nd January 2008, 05:38 PM
Finco,
If you are resawing then horsepower is the thing to look for. A 14'' will do if it is about 1 1/2 hp. I have an old 14'' but at 3/4 hp it struggles to rip 4''(100mm) of hardwood. Bigger is better with bandsaws. Some second hand ones come along in the trading post and ebay. Check out Hare & Forbes and Carbatec for new machines. Gasweld also have a selection. It may be an option on old machines putting in a larger motor. There will be plenty of advise here on setting up and tuneing when you do get one so just ask any time.

Good luck with the hunt
John

FINCO
3rd January 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks John for the advice. Hadn't really thought about the horse power side of things. Will keep in mind whilst looking. Thanks again.
Ben.:)

rightendup
4th January 2008, 10:23 AM
Finco,
I'd definitely go for cast iron.
Used to be you had to buy bearing guides and switch out the rub blocks yourself. Now some manufacturers are selling them with the bearing guides on them already. My advice is to go with the rollres.
Now I've never used rub blocks as I bought the Miller rollers ($120) and switched out the blocks before I plugged my new saw in. So this makes me a 'roller snob'.

Jay