PDA

View Full Version : skiing snow boot adjust thingi tool :)

killerbeast
2nd January 2008, 06:27 PM
swimbo and i are going on the annual 14 days of skiing i the dolomites... she has had an operation in the wrist and was worrying about being able to tighten her boots. so into the thinktank and i came up with this.

This is a to be brutally used tool hence not a lot of finish. size is around 9-10 cm long. steel is from an old eurotruss pin cut sanded and polished with steel wool.

i made the tool by drilling on the lathe and when i had the debth used a pice of scrap to stop the drill from going deeper and thus created a simple friction drive... nice and easy i thought.... but my crap lathe (goddampiceofchineescrap) dosent line up. the tailstock never sets in the same place twice side to side and up and down... so again slightly oval. damit...
have begun the piggybank to get me something better have eyes on danish made promat... but the price the price...

Comments are more than welcome.
Oh wood is more mahogony

scooter
2nd January 2008, 10:52 PM
I don't know jack about snowskiing Rasmus, but thanks for sharing your work. :)

Cheers.............Sean

joe greiner
3rd January 2008, 01:49 AM
Nice touch with the wire (or other) burning, Rasmus.

A wee bit of side slop is necessary to allow moving the tailstock. The general term of art is "backlash." Higher quality = less backlash, but still need at least a hair's breadth. Best I can suggest for now is find which way to shove both ends of the tailstock for optimum alignment, and shove them that way each time you lock it down.

Up/down positioning should be biased by gravity. Probably best (for now, again) to add shim(s), e.g. Al foil, to compensate for irregularities.

Joe

killerbeast
3rd January 2008, 02:49 AM
well mine moves a lot of hairs when its loose linke ½ cm i each direction, and missing around 2 mm up and down... but first thing when im back in the shop after holydays will be working this out... not beeing the most patient guy with not perfect equipment this is realy bugging me. i hate doing the work and putting in the effort and be thwarted be crappy gear...

And on an other note. dot glue with liberal amounts of PU glue and then stick your new boot adjuster into the boot... the glue seeped out throug the endgrain and i had to use a knife to get the hard spots out of swimbos new boots... damit... i hope she forgives me......