PDA

View Full Version : Decking nails

Bearsfoot
2nd January 2008, 09:19 PM
Hi All,

I have just finished a 3 x 4 m deck with approx 30% completely exposed to the elements. We are in qld.

I used hardwood joists, Hopea decking and Cabots decking oil.

For now, it looks a treat but I have used the wrong nails !!.

I used 65 x 2.8 Paslode Bullet Head nails (Bright finish).

I know now I should have gal dipped or stainless.

If I keep the deck oiled regularly what life expectancy should I expect before the incorrect fasteners cause me grief ?

I would rather know the bad news, than not know at all.

Cheers,
bearsfoot.
(goose)

manoftalent
2nd January 2008, 10:47 PM
mate its not the deck top you need to worry about .....when those hardwood joists dry out your problems are going to start .....damp hardwood grips a bit better than bone dry hardwood and in time with all the top deck shrinking and contracting with the seasons, those nails will start lifting ....a possable solution, without lifting it all up again....is .....countersink ....drill pilot hole ....and screw in between the nails on the ends and side screw into the joists on the rest of the timber ...use the timber dust and woodglue to make up "filler" and cover up the holes and then oil again .....you will need two sizes of screws ....one a bit longer to "side screw" into the joists with ....good luck:2tsup:

artme
2nd January 2008, 10:49 PM
I don't think any amount of oil or other surface protection will prolong the life of the nails because the sap in the wood will get to work any way.
Some years ago I replaced parts of an exposed deck with newer slats.
The nails originally used were gal and were basically cactus after 10 years.
That might give you some guide.

noelhi1
2nd January 2008, 11:52 PM
You could also just leave it and 2 to 3 years when the nail do lift take them out and replace them with s/s screws the nails will come out quite easy, the timber will have dried by then :doh:Just another job for latter on:2tsup:

Geebung
21st January 2008, 12:26 PM
Too bad on the nail front - chalk it up as a learning experience. Even if you used galvanised nails you will (as I have learned) still get rust spots appearing (because when you hammer them in, the nice gal coating gives way to a nice shiney nail head).

Whatever you do...do not use screws on the top of the deck - in time they will also rust and if you have ever tried to get a screw out that is rusted you will know that the head will come off and the remainder of the screw will be left in the wood.

Replace what you have (as they pop out) with decking nails. Decking nails look a lot better in any case.

Geebung
21st January 2008, 12:35 PM
And just to balance my opinion about screws versus nails, you should probably have a look at this thread...

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=47415

echnidna
21st January 2008, 02:17 PM
The old time verandahs made with ordinary steel nails lasted many years so you shouldn't have a major problem.

The nails may pop a little as the joists dry out but just punch the nails down with a nail punch when that happens

silentC
21st January 2008, 02:32 PM
In 1986, not knowing any better, I fixed a T/P deck to hardwood joists with ordinary bright finish nails. It was at my parent's place, which was about 500m from the surf. About 10 years later they ripped it up and replaced it all when they extended the deck. The nails were starting to fail but I reckon 10 years in a marine environment is OK.

But then my Dad tells the story of a local bloke who made a good living going around and re-nailing people's decks with stainless deck nails after the old nails started to fail.

The answer to your question is: nobody can say. They might last for years, or even decades. It depends on the conditions. Don't lose any sleep over it and cross that bridge when you come to it. :)

noelhi1
21st January 2008, 08:07 PM
In 1986, not knowing any better, I fixed a T/P deck to hardwood joists with ordinary bright finish nails. It was at my parent's place, which was about 500m from the surf. About 10 years later they ripped it up and replaced it all when they extended the deck. The nails were starting to fail but I reckon 10 years in a marine environment is OK.

But then my Dad tells the story of a local bloke who made a good living going around and re-nailing people's decks with stainless deck nails after the old nails started to fail.

The answer to your question is: nobody can say. They might last for years, or even decades. It depends on the conditions. Don't lose any sleep over it and cross that bridge when you come to it. :)
I agree with silentc so just sleep onit it will work out only time will tell:C