PDA

View Full Version : The infamous wine rack

bat
1st December 2003, 11:54 AM
After letting this sit half finished underneath my bed for over a year, it's finally done!

bat
1st December 2003, 12:07 PM
pic2

bat
1st December 2003, 12:10 PM
pic 3

bat
1st December 2003, 12:13 PM
pic 4

bat
1st December 2003, 12:16 PM
more pics.

bat
1st December 2003, 12:20 PM
and another

bat
1st December 2003, 12:24 PM
and yet another pic

DaveInOz
1st December 2003, 12:43 PM
Is the electrics to get the built in lights complex or difficult?

The grain on more pics looks interesting - any chance of a close up?

bat
1st December 2003, 12:51 PM
Is the electrics to get the built in lights complex or difficult?

Quite easy, actually. The lights come with the wires pre-attached, and they just clip into a harness that plugs into a transformer, that plugs into an outlet or can be hardwired into a wall switch which is how these were done.

The grain on more pics looks interesting - any chance of a close up?

This is about as close of a shot that I took. The units were done with a MDF substrate with Quartered Maple veneer.

bat
1st December 2003, 12:54 PM
Walnut bed

bat
1st December 2003, 01:12 PM
An 1800's lapdesk that I was asked to recreate...

bat
22nd December 2003, 02:57 PM
A bar that I just finished

Grunt
23rd December 2003, 10:32 AM
Much too much time on your hands.

Great work!

Caliban
23rd December 2003, 01:45 PM
Mate
That's awesome.
Merry Christmas
Jim

Sturdee
23rd December 2003, 03:24 PM
Great work, but with all that bar space and only serving a few softdrinks ?.

Peter.

bat
6th January 2004, 02:16 PM
one more

arose62
6th January 2004, 04:18 PM
Disclaimer:
I've only just started to force myself to try wine (personal opinion is "Yuck! Gimme a ginger beer!"), both to appease SWMBO, and because there seems to be a lot of medical evidence that moderate consumption of red is A Good Thing.

Anyway, one of the recommendations I came across was that wine is supposed to be stored with the cork pointing *slightly* UP, with the air bubble in the shoulder of the bottle, so sediment will settle to the bottom of the bottle.

Seems that a lot of wine racks out there violate this - having the bottle horizontal, or even cork down.

As a wine rack could be on my LOTTD soon, anyone have comments?

Cheers,
Andrew

Sturdee
6th January 2004, 04:28 PM
Andrew, the art of storing wine is to keep the air out of the bottle to stop it from oxidising and turning into vinegar.
Therefore the cork must be kept moist to stop it from shrinking and letting the air in.
When the bottle is opened it should be allowed to breathe for a few hours and this will let the sediment to settle on the bottom or alternatively you can decant the wine.

Regards,

Peter.

bat
6th January 2004, 04:29 PM
Here is what my wine book says....

Wine should be stored in a cool, dry place, with an optimum temperature of 54 F. Wine bottles should always be stored on their sides, in order to prevent corks from drying and allowing air to enter the bottle and spoil the wine.

Ben from Vic.
10th January 2004, 12:24 PM
Bat, I know this is a little off subject, but I notice you have a Herman Miller chair.
Just wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.....
Is it as good as the reviews say?
Is it worth the cash?
Would you buy another?

Hope you don't mind. :)

Ben

seriph1
14th January 2004, 11:26 PM
replete with the Herman Miller Aeron Chair I see

:)

Every person interested in furniture and leadership should read

Leadership is an Art, by Max Depree, head of Herman Miller - it is a beautifully written story of the "Why" of business, not just the "how" and tells of how kindness and authenticity grew a world leading furniture design/manufacturing firm..... all from a town so small, it doesnt have a pub!... and in the States, that's saying something.

end of my sermon - stunning work mate - am intrigued to see what the other pieces of furniture are, sneaking their way into the pics.....

bat
23rd January 2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Ben from Vic.
Bat, I know this is a little off subject, but I notice you have a Herman Miller chair.
Just wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.....
Is it as good as the reviews say?
Is it worth the cash?
Would you buy another?

Hope you don't mind. :)

Ben

The chair belongs to the customer that I made the cabinetry for. I don't know anything about it, but knowing the customer, I am confident that it is probably the nicest chair ever made. ;) Sorry for the delayed reply.

bat

elgecko
9th February 2004, 03:20 PM
bat,
Great looking projects.
I like the bar. I'll be over for a few cold ones. :D