PDA

View Full Version : I like it to introduce myself

Ad de Crom
4th January 2008, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone,
Stumbled yesterday against this forum, by searching on the internet.
Looks to me very nice, so I signed in.
To introduce myself, my name is Ad de Crom, I'm from the Netherlands, and live in Bergen op Zoom.
I picked up woodturning in 2001, after my retirement. From my profession I was a mechanical engineer.
I like it to work with wood and metal. I used my experience for building my own lathe, and some devices, and some tools.
One of my favorite turnings is segmented work.
Anyway I hope to meet here a lot of woodturners.
Recently I turned a low profile segmented bowl made from Taxus, and like it to show it for the start.

wheelinround
4th January 2008, 09:14 AM
Welcome aboard Ad de Crom

great place to be and meet like minds

some here have strange minds others twisted (they like strange green and black powered tools)

Ray

ps nice bowl Taxus ounds and looks like nice wood to tunr with

Honorary Bloke
4th January 2008, 09:28 AM
Welcome to the forum!! Pop open a nice Oranjeboom and join in the fun.

Very nice bowl, BTW.

Hardenfast
4th January 2008, 09:52 AM
Welcome Ad.

You will find this place a great source of information and also inspiration. Although Australian based we have members from all over the world who regularly contribute so you will feel right at home.

I too am hooked on the segmented woodturning disciplines although I've only been doing it for a few months - I look forward to seeing a few more of your works, and also of your lathe and the other bits & pieces you've made.

I've put a link here to a segmented bowl thread I posted a few months back. I was quite pleased with the result, but don't seem to have had time to get into another one yet. Hopefully soon....

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=550499#post550499

Prosit. (I hope that's Dutch for "Cheers")

Wayne

Manuka Jock
4th January 2008, 10:38 AM
Greetings from New Zealand , to Old Zeeland :2tsup:

Hallo Ad ,
Nice bowl you have made . The wood , Taxus has a very nice grain figure . Is it a small shrub , or does the tree grow big ?

I too would like to see the lathe that it was made on .

Cheers ,
Jock

Richard Findley
4th January 2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Ad,

Looks like you're a natural! Good work!:2tsup:

Taxus would also be known as Yew right?

Keep up the good work,

Richard

artme
4th January 2008, 11:51 AM
Welcome to this madhouse and its menagerie of inhabitants Ad.:2tsup::oo:
Your professional experience shoul dhelp you a lot.
Nice little plate, by the way.:):)

PenTurner
4th January 2008, 12:46 PM
Hello Ad, welcome to this Forum, the members have been very good to me and helped me greatly, Amos.:), I like the segmented bowl, looking forward to seeing more of your work, looks like your a natural at it. Amos:2tsup:

orraloon
4th January 2008, 01:39 PM
Welcome Ad,
You have come to the right place.

Regards
John

fred.n
4th January 2008, 02:43 PM
Very nice bowl Ad :2tsup:
like the others said, it will be great to see the lathe it was made on
Welcome

OGYT
4th January 2008, 03:29 PM
Welcome, Ad! This is the spot to be! Some awesome information comes trickling out of these blokes, and turns into a waterfall of knowledge. It'll be nice to have your input.
I like to see segmented work, but I wouldn't try it for anything. For one, I don't have the patience... for another, I don't have many flatwork tools left. I admire you segmenters!
Beautiful Platter! Form and all.

rsser
4th January 2008, 04:43 PM
Welcome from this Dutch descendant.

I have an uncle who does wood carving in Amersfoort. Also an ex-engineer; he used to build breweries for Heineken.

BernieP
4th January 2008, 05:44 PM
G'Day Ad

Welcome aboard, this great forum is fast becoming a united nations spot. Great platter.

Cheers
Bernie

Simomatra
4th January 2008, 05:48 PM
Welcome aboard Ad de Crom

Nice piece of work first up

Enjoy us mad men & women here

Ad de Crom
4th January 2008, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the forum!! Pop open a nice Oranjeboom and join in the fun.

Very nice bowl, BTW.

Bob, if you mean to pop open a Oranjeboom beer, than I have bad luck, this beer don't exist anymore, I will do it with a Belgian Beer, Cheers
Thanks for your wellcome

Honorary Bloke
4th January 2008, 10:10 PM
Bob, if you mean to pop open a Oranjeboom beer, than I have bad luck, this beer don't exist anymore, I will do it with a Belgian Beer, Cheers
Thanks for your wellcome

Well, well. What happened to it? I never thought it was that bad, though not up to the German or Belgian offerings. Anyway, glad you found us here. :)

Ad de Crom
4th January 2008, 10:13 PM
Welcome Ad.

You will find this place a great source of information and also inspiration. Although Australian based we have members from all over the world who regularly contribute so you will feel right at home.

I too am hooked on the segmented woodturning disciplines although I've only been doing it for a few months - I look forward to seeing a few more of your works, and also of your lathe and the other bits & pieces you've made.

I've put a link here to a segmented bowl thread I posted a few months back. I was quite pleased with the result, but don't seem to have had time to get into another one yet. Hopefully soon....

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=550499#post550499

Prosit. (I hope that's Dutch for "Cheers")

Wayne

Wayne, your segmented bowl is perfect, I don't have to tell you anything about segmented turnings, you are doing great work :2tsup:

I have running a renewed website, made this website with Microsoft Publisher, and with free Lycos tripod hosting, so with some advertising, but I don't care that much. The address. http://members.lycos.nl/adecrom

On your good health. Proost :)

Ad de Crom
4th January 2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you all for your warm wellcome, I appreciate this very much.
I just have running a renewed website http://members.lycos.nl/adecrom
I have a free hosting so with some advertising, don't bothers me that much, it's a part of the game.

wheelinround
5th January 2008, 06:37 AM
Ad de Com thank you for letting us look at your site
what a magnificent lathe you made as well as the devices, chucks, sanding belt
And your turnings brilliant :2tsup:

Ray

HappyHammer
5th January 2008, 12:54 PM
Welcome Ad, nice platter and I like your lathe.

HH.

Stu in Tokyo
8th January 2008, 09:38 PM
Hey Ad, nice to see you here!

Guys Ad is one talented guy, makes all kinds of cool stuff and tools too!

Welcome Ad!

hughie
8th January 2008, 10:13 PM
Ad, Welcome aboard. :)

Just had a look around your web site, you have been busy. Look forward to more pics of future efforts.

Ad de Crom
9th January 2008, 03:36 AM
Hey Ad, nice to see you here!

Guys Ad is one talented guy, makes all kinds of cool stuff and tools too!

Welcome Ad!

Hey Stu, that's a very nice surprise to meet you here, but don't prize me not so sky high, I'm just a guy who love it to work with his bare hands, that's all. But guys, Stu is a very good craftsman too, and very inventive.
Stuart I enjoyed it to see your family site, my best regards to your wife and family.
I'm a little while out of my shop, it has to do with the big event in Bergen op Zoom, and that big event is Carnival, what else. Takes only four weeks.
See you. Ad

MY TURN
9th January 2008, 02:47 PM
Hi everyone,
Stumbled yesterday against this forum, by searching on the internet.
Looks to me very nice, so I signed in.
To introduce myself, my name is Ad de Crom, I'm from the Netherlands, and live in Bergen op Zoom.
I picked up woodturning in 2001, after my retirement. From my profession I was a mechanical engineer.
I like it to work with wood and metal. I used my experience for building my own lathe, and some devices, and some tools.
One of my favorite turnings is segmented work.
Anyway I hope to meet here a lot of woodturners.
Recently I turned a low profile segmented bowl made from Taxus, and like it to show it for the start.

Bonjour Ad,

I too like segmented turnings, actually it is my favorite. I like to draw and then turn to match.

I have pieces at the following sites

http://pages.videotron.com/montour2/

http://www.itsmyturnetsy.com/

http://outtawood.humma.us/index.php?manufacturers_id=12

I hope you enjoy our little group from around the world

regards

Michel

Ad de Crom
10th January 2008, 04:59 AM
Hi Michel, thanks for your wellcome.
I enjoyed your segmented turnings a lot, different of what I'm doing.
Do you sell much, anyway on the other side of the pond it's easier to sell your turnings, as here in Holland.
I'm turning just for the fun, and for my own family and good friends.
What kind of programm are you using for making your drawings?

MY TURN
10th January 2008, 11:47 AM
Hi Michel, thanks for your wellcome.
I enjoyed your segmented turnings a lot, different of what I'm doing.
Do you sell much, anyway on the other side of the pond it's easier to sell your turnings, as here in Holland.
I'm turning just for the fun, and for my own family and good friends.
What kind of programm are you using for making your drawings?

Bonjour Ad

Well what sells is things that are different, we called them "favorites". It grabs the attention and people say " I have to buy this". I have cancelled all my shows except one, which is for woodworking people only. In 2005 I wonone of the 19 favorites. This is a hobby for me, but if I want to buy new tools or wood , I need to sell something.

By program... real cheap a piece of paper and pencil. After a will you learn the max inches for specific diameters.

michel