PDA

View Full Version : Pantograph

BIGALH
2nd December 2003, 04:22 AM
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE AND USE A PANTOGRAPH.ITS USED TO ENLAGE OR REDUCE THE SIZE OF DRAWINGS.

I HAD ONE WHEN I WAS A KID BUT CANT REMEMBER HOW THEY WERE MADE.

THANKS
BIGALH

silentC
2nd December 2003, 09:51 AM
This is the basic idea. You also need a pointer, a pivot and a pen. You can do a straight copy, reduce, or enlarge. The factor of reduction or enlargement will depend on where you attach the two smaller arms to the larger arms. If you put them dead centre, you should get a factor of 2 (I think).

To make a 1:1 copy, put the Pointer at A, the Pivot at B and the Pen at C.

To make a 1:2 copy, put the Pivot at A, the Pointer at B and the Pen at C.

To make a 2:1 copy, put the Pivot at A, the Pen at B and the Pointer at C.

I think you get best results by holding the Pointer and tracing the original and just let the Pen go along with it.

soundman
2nd December 2003, 10:23 PM
Router pantograps are available at most of the tool supliers. a pen pantograph is dead easy but you migh find one for sale in an art or toy shop.

BIGALH
2nd December 2003, 11:47 PM
thank you very much for our replys

im off to make one straight away.
ive got a lot of work for it.

thanks again

bigalh

Sprog
3rd December 2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by BIGALH
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE AND USE A PANTOGRAPH.ITS USED TO ENLAGE OR REDUCE THE SIZE OF DRAWINGS.
THANKS
BIGALH

Have a look here

Pantograph plans (http://users.hubwest.com/hubert/mrscience/pantograph.html)

Ausworkshop
23rd December 2005, 06:34 PM

I HAD ONE WHEN I WAS A KID BUT CANT REMEMBER HOW THEY WERE MADE.

THANKS
BIGALH

I brought one this year from timbercon I think. I can check my receipt and let you know if your still interested, its designed to hold a router and works quite well for enlarging/reducing. I want to make one for my dremel now to do small scale work.

scooter
24th December 2005, 10:59 PM
Can still get the old Sketchagraph from toyshops, black plastic construction with adjustable magnify/reduce.

How do I know? Made one up out of strips cut from pegboard, loosly rivetted together, worked semi-OK but bride found one at local toyshop. :)

Cheers.................Sean